New Pool Room Layout

mudball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Everyone,

I'm about to move into a new house the 1st of March and I finally have room for a table. The room that is available is a little...tricky :)

I'd really really really like to get a 9ft (for drills and straight pool), but I'm hesitant with the layout? I've attached a few pictures below and the dimensions of the room. I forgot to measure the length/height of the bar, but it does cut in 10" into the width of the room. It's just over an inch thick, so I don't think it would come into play much? Or am I crazy? The laundry room doors could be opened or removed if need be.

Entertaining is not a priority, personal practice time is. It is ground level and I will be getting a Diamond Pro-Am either size (7 or 9). Thanks for any feedback!

Edit: Updated a somewhat better diagram showing the bar impact, sorry about that! As state above, I totally forgot to measure the length/height of the bar :( But hopefully the picture can give an idea somewhat. Like I said, it isn't very thick so I don't think it could have a massive impact?

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 674
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 660
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 654
  • Measurements.png
    Measurements.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 505
Last edited:

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
You need to stay with the 7'. A 9 will have issues in both directions with more than just a few shots.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Cut out a piece of cardboard representing the ''outside dimensions'' of your table and set it in place (or some other way), reduce it to 8' then 7'.

Lay your cue tip on your fake rail, the tip should be at least 5-6'' BACK from the cushion nose. (swing room)

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cut out a piece of cardboard representing the ''outside dimensions'' of your table and set it in place (or some other way), reduce it to 8' then 7'.

Lay your cue tip on your fake rail, the tip should be at least 5-6'' BACK from the cushion nose. (swing room)

I'd suggest tape. Might be a little easier ;)

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hey Everyone,

I'm about to move into a new house the 1st of March and I finally have room for a table. The room that is available is a little...tricky :)

I'd really really really like to get a 9ft (for drills and straight pool), but I'm hesitant with the layout? I've attached a few pictures below and the dimensions of the room. I forgot to measure the length/height of the bar, but it does cut in 10" into the width of the room. It's just over an inch thick, so I don't think it would come into play much? Or am I crazy? The laundry room doors could be opened or removed if need be.

Entertaining is not a priority, personal practice time is. It is ground level and I will be getting a Diamond Pro-Am either size (7 or 9). Thanks for any feedback!

The room may be big enough for a 9' table and I'll tell you why. Width wise you're okay as long as you don't put any obstructions (like furniture, cue racks) on either side. Length wise the bar definitely would obstruct you on that end, except for one reason. If the height of the bar is 30" or less your cue stick will go over the bar on your back swing. If it's as high as 36" you have a problem. Of course you could remove that bar and you have a 19' long room and you're good to go. Why not just take it out? That's an easy solution! :wink:

Last edited:

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you would have enough room for the 9.

I don't understand your diagram though. It seems like where you have the washer/dryer folding doors is where the bar is.

mudball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you would have enough room for the 9.

I don't understand your diagram though. It seems like where you have the washer/dryer folding doors is where the bar is.

My apologies, I uploaded a better diagram showing the impact of the bar. I may try to get over there soon to measure the height of it, don't know why I didn't think to do that :(

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You will neee a short cue in the long direction where the washer/dryer is because that length becomes 15’-11” which is definitely too short.

I’d permanently remove the laundry room doors and hope the cue stick will be above the washer/dryer.

Is this a second kitchen in the house or the main kitchen? Thinking out loud and spending your money.... if it’s a second kitchen, perhaps removing the entire kitchen and rotating the table 90 degrees would work. Then you’d have the 15’-11” dimension in the short direction, and the 14’-2” plus whatever was the kitchen depth in the long direction.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Everyone,

Edit: Updated a somewhat better diagram showing the bar impact, sorry about that! As state above, I totally forgot to measure the length/height of the bar :( But hopefully the picture can give an idea somewhat. Like I said, it isn't very thick so I don't think it could have a massive impact?
As you only have 16' length, anything larger than a 7-footer will create major issues with your length needed.

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A normal counter top is 36". That over hang is probably going to be in the 40" to 42" range. Mine is 42"

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless you're gambling there, don't worry about not having enough room for every shot. It doesn't hurt your practice if you need to move the cue ball a little once in a while.

Also, believe it or not, there may even be some benefit. I used to play (and gamble) in a room that didn't always have room if you're stuck on a rail (had to short-stick it). To this day, I'm always thinking of and trying to avoid pulling the cue ball on the rail. I think it helped me.

sbk510

Registered
Unless you're gambling there, don't worry about not having enough room for every shot. It doesn't hurt your practice if you need to move the cue ball a little once in a while.

Also, believe it or not, there may even be some benefit. I used to play (and gamble) in a room that didn't always have room if you're stuck on a rail (had to short-stick it). To this day, I'm always thinking of and trying to avoid pulling the cue ball on the rail. I think it helped me.
Probably the best point on this thread.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jay, I think it needs to turn the other way..

definitely black balled on the 9'r

the 7' would be the best game with seating, it will seem large in there.
If you're ordering, have them set the pockets up with snooker bends,
you won't get lazy on the shot with those, give you all you want in getting the shot right.

If you bought and own and,
if you like where you are at and,
if that is the biggest room
area in the whole house, possibly a bachelor ,
remodel with the kitchen along the washer dryer wall,
using that plumbing for the sink, should give you a game area of 20' x 14' approx.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jay, I think it needs to turn the other way..

definitely black balled on the 9'r

the 7' would be the best game with seating, it will seem large in there.
If you're ordering, have them set the pockets up with snooker bends,
you won't get lazy on the shot with those, give you all you want in getting the shot right.

If you bought and own and,
if you like where you are at and,
if that is the biggest room
area in the whole house, possibly a bachelor ,
remodel with the kitchen along the washer dryer wall,
using that plumbing for the sink, should give you a game area of 20' x 14' approx.

I'm not sure I understand his diagram then. :sorry:
And then there's always an 8' table, a nice compromise.

mudball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure I understand his diagram then. :sorry:
And then there's always an 8' table, a nice compromise.

I really appreciate everyone's replies and attempts to decipher my awful diagram lol. Unfortunately, it is a lease so I won't be able to modify the layout, or else that would be the plan :)

Again, entertaining/gambling will not be a priority since everyone I play with is at least 40 minutes away, and my "home" room is 35 minutes away, hence why I'm getting my own for practice. Trips to the pool room will now be exclusively for gambling/tournaments.

I'm still struggling to decide if 75% (hypothetically) of a 9ft is better than 100% of a bar box. I have ZERO issue doing drills or shooting the same shot repeatedly. If I did go with the 9ft and spacing was an issue I can totally see myself shooting from the ball return end all day and respotting shots. I do that while I'm at the pool room now, and I do it when I'm at someones house who already has a table. I can't wait to be able to do it without the travel lol.

I'm either going to tape the floor or do some type of cut out to try and get a real feel of how it will be I suppose. I have to admit I'm very anxious and was wanting to schedule the delivery as soon as I'm in but maybe I need to pump the breaks a little ;)