Ultimate Argument: Pendulum vs Piston Stroke

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I suppose my question then would be: does the snooker stance work just fine on power shots for the itty bitty little balls they use in snooker but maybe not so good for our big heavy balls for pool?

Lou Figueroa
don’t go there
Fair question - snooker balls (2.07" dia) have almost 1/4 less volume than pool balls (2.25" dia).

pj
chgo

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Without commenting on the posting habits of any particular person, I have come to learn that all the basic high school types are represented here.

The scholars, the jocks, the science guys, the plastics, the cheerleaders, the debating team, the cool kids, the bullies, the drama class, the outcasts, the short buss kids, the not cool kids that want to be cool kids but can’t quite pull it off, and so on.

It is what it is.

Lou Figueroa
held back a year

Very true!)

You know what? I remember a time when a person could say something and not get his panties in a bunch just because someone had a different opinion. Those days are gone it seems.

Even in pool, we are now being told we "have to" have or do this or that or were doomed.

You know what? I really dont mind someone.....HELL..... anyone calling me out on something I'm doing wrong but I would rather the person doing the calling to be able to "show me" where / what / how to fix said problem....... not talk it to death and never show a shred of PROOF.......otherwise, the caller is gonna catch chit from me as long as I got breath.

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And, I assume, with more RPMs - so draw and follow would be better.

pj
chgo

I would assume it would be less rpms. With the balls being smaller, you can’t hit as far from center so the rpms would be harder to generate. The weight may have an affect on rmps too though. I’m not quite sure.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would assume it would be less rpms. With the balls being smaller, you can’t hit as far from center so the rpms would be harder to generate. The weight may have an affect on rmps too though. I’m not quite sure.
No. The spin/speed ratio is proportional to the fraction of the ball's radius that you hit from center. I have no reason to believe that fraction is less on a snooker ball. It will be slightly harder to hit at the limit because the margin for error is smaller. On the other hand, snooker players tend to pay much more attention to being accurate in where they hit the ball.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No. The spin/speed ratio is proportional to the fraction of the ball's radius that you hit from center. I have no reason to believe that fraction is less on a snooker ball. It will be slightly harder to hit at the limit because the margin for error is smaller. On the other hand, snooker players tend to pay much more attention to being accurate in where they hit the ball.
The top pros also use tiny 8-9mm shafts. They can really spin the stone when needed.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

The top pros also use tiny 8-9mm shafts. They can really spin the stone when needed.
I play pool with a 9.5mm tip. I don't think I get more spin with it, but I'm more precise with it, which can seem like the same thing.

pj
chgo

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play pool with a 9.5mm tip. I don't think I get more spin with it, but I'm more precise with it, which can seem like the same thing.

pj
chgo

You must be a world beater to be able to use that diameter in pool.

I my experience, getting below 11mm is VERY dangerous territory for most everyone unless they are very, very strong players.

I feel most comfortable with 11.25 to 11.80. Anything over that takes a bit away from my game, just like anything under that range takes away from my game due to "misshitting" the CB.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bangers and most professionals have piston style strokes (non pendulum). If someone has a pendulum stroke, they must also have a piston stroke. I would love to see someone perform a forced follow shot or drive the cue ball two long lengths of a 9 table after hitting an OB in high follow. If you can do this with a pendulum stroke, please provide video.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bangers and most professionals have piston style strokes (non pendulum). If someone has a pendulum stroke, they must also have a piston stroke. I would love to see someone perform a forced follow shot or drive the cue ball two long lengths of a 9 table after hitting an OB in high follow. If you can do this with a pendulum stroke, please provide video.
The following video contains lots of power shots (including A4, which is a force follow), and Samm and I both use a pendulum stroke.

NV J.11 - 25 Advanced Game-Winning Pool Shots – BU Exam III

Here are the shot diagrams.

Enjoy,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
The following video contains lots of power shots (including A4, which is a force follow), and Samm and I both use a pendulum stroke.

NV J.11 - 25 Advanced Game-Winning Pool Shots – BU Exam III

Here are the shot diagrams.

Enjoy,
Dave

Thanks for your posts. BUT you dropped your elbow on shot number 2 and she dropped her elbow on number 4.
The elbow does drop a small amount after the hit (this is natural), but the stroke in each of these shots would definitely be considered by most people as a pendulum stroke. The elbow is still during the backstroke and during the forward stroke into the ball. What happens after the ball is gone is not pertinent, IMO.

Regards,
Dave

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
The elbow does drop a small amount after the hit (this is natural), but the stroke in each of these shots would definitely be considered by most people as a pendulum stroke. The elbow is still during the backstroke and during the forward stroke into the ball. What happens after the ball is gone is not pertinent, IMO.

Regards,
Dave

On her shots number 5 & 6, the tip stays horizontal about 6-8" out past CB. I thought pendulum strokes almost always hit the cloth.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
On her shots number 5 & 6, the tip stays horizontal about 6-8" out past CB. I thought pendulum strokes almost always hit the cloth.
With a still elbow, the tip drops during the follow through; but with a follow shot, the tip doesn't drop all of the way to the table. If you look at the draw shots, you will see the tip finish on the table.

Regards,
Dave