Now I done went and did it

8up

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went from a SL4 to a SL5 in my APA 8 ball league. I am happy I am improving but that puts our 5 players at 24 we do have 1 other player but he only shows as needed and he is 3. So we can still field 5 players.

Now our league is full of sandbaggers but I refuse to do it. That said after driving 30 miles to play the wife and I do want to play. We are not drinkers so its not a night out unless we get to play and we want to win.

my team
7 = hall's owner
7 = best player
5 = myself
2 = my wife
3 = my nephew
3 = will play if we need him but is not really into it at the moment.

Any Ideas on how to be competitive and have fun?

Roger Long

Sonoran Cue Creations
Silver Member
One of the only ways to do it is to ask your 7's to rotate play, and find yourself another full time 2 or 3.

Roger

zy112

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would pick up another player to make a full team. Every APA team, well most, face this problem as handicap rises. Another player could add some versatility to your lineup. It is quite a numbers crunch when you are throwing 2 7's.

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
You're going to have to rotate 7s. I feel ya on ppl moving up. We had one go up due to protest during the cities as she played great on the BBs that week, but played back to normal on the 9 footers we almost always play on during league. We were able to take that in stride since we had 8 ppl on our team.

We then had another person go up for reasons I am unable to grasp as he did not play the week he went up. I've never actually heard of someone going up after not playing. I don't want to protest, but that raise in handicap kinda puts us in a bind.

*edit* I think we may be getting a lot of protests because until last week (wk 7) we had not lost a match and were out in first place by 70pts and pretty much cruising to 1000pts.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Yup, you're gonna have to get another player, an SL3 would be best but you can work with an SL4 and make the numbers balance. And yes, your SL7's will need to rotate. Trying to field a team with two SL7's will always create these problems.

I, too, went up to an SL5 at the end of last session, and it did add complications for our team. Just one SL7, but now three SL5's.... We balance it out and make it work. (Of course I haven't won a match since going up, LOL. And not because I'm playing better opponents, either. I just can't drop a ball in the pocket lately! If it weren't so aggravating it'd be funny. Actually it is kinda funny. Such is the way of these things I guess.)

Good luck.

Runnintable

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rotate

It's a play with numbers.
1 you need a full roster. Give examples.

7 + 3 + 7 + 3 + 3 = 23
7 + 3 + 5 + 5 + 3 = 23 your 2 can fit in anywhere. I know you don't have another 5, but I put that in there to show you that there is room to grow.

Obviously you cannot play if you field both 7's and to tell you the truth not really the best strategy unless they are superstars. A 7 playing a good 4 is a sh*t race (6-2).

If you are the captain, one thing you can do is tell your team who is playing each week prior and keep it rolling. It works everybody into the team and creates a little unity. Give and take.

One other thing, if your night out is all about the pool. Does the place have more than 1 table, and/or open tables not tied up with league. If so get a game going that way your pool game is satisfied on nights you sit out.

ridinda9

AKA: Sandy Bagger
Silver Member
there's a reason they let you have 8 players

You need to recruit an s/l 2 and an s/l 4 . This will give you huge versatility in your line-up

Roger Long;2672485 said:
One of the only ways to do it is to ask your 7's to rotate play, and find yourself another full time 2 or 3.

Roger
if you find another 2 , your 7's don't have to rotate
7+7+5+2+2=23

We then had another person go up for reasons I am unable to grasp as he did not play the week he went up. I've never actually heard of someone going up after not playing. I don't want to protest, but that raise in handicap kinda puts us in a bind.

*edit* I think we may be getting a lot of protests because until last week (wk 7) we had not lost a match and were out in first place by 70pts and pretty much cruising to 1000pts.
and you can't IMAGINE why the handicap review committee raised that player , huh ?
Obviously you cannot play if you field both 7's and to tell you the truth not really the best strategy unless they are superstars. A 7 playing a good 4 is a sh*t race (6-2).

If you are the captain, one thing you can do is tell your team who is playing each week prior and keep it rolling. It works everybody into the team and creates a little unity. Give and take.

One other thing, if your night out is all about the pool. Does the place have more than 1 table, and/or open tables not tied up with league. If so get a game going that way your pool game is satisfied on nights you sit out.

actually , a s/l 7 playing a s/l 4 is a 5-2 race . drop 2 games from each handicap . . . . still no fun , cuz a s/l4 is just good enough to luck it . . .
Even if you know who'll play and who doesn't , everyone should come - because the other team doesn't know who's playing and who's not , and it will keep 'em guessin' . . .
and you don't have that giant killer 4 anymore , so get one , and you can play
7+5+4+3+3=22 (still strong)
the key to success is flexibility . And the key to flexibility is options .
Do the New York Yankees show up with just 9 players to play baseball - it's all they NEED , right ?

8up

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a play with numbers.
1 you need a full roster. Give examples.

7 + 3 + 7 + 3 + 3 = 23
7 + 3 + 5 + 5 + 3 = 23 your 2 can fit in anywhere. I know you don't have another 5, but I put that in there to show you that there is room to grow.

Rotating the 7's will have to be done. As for me being a 5 its a weak 5 so some losses are definitely in my near future but that will make me practice even more. I played an unranked 3 last weekend and she could not hit a ball. So it was an easy 3 game win but I was also playing great. Thus the handicap move. My 6 went to a 7 as well giving me 2 7's.

The only other team that has to juggle has 6,5,5,5,5,5,3
Now this 3 is 80% for this session and 55% lifetime for 29 games compared to myself at 50% for this session and 54% lifetime for 28 games.
If he were to go to a 4 That could not play 5 people. seems convenient

Guess I better get off here get some work done and get to working on my game.