Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Who The Hell Is Bucky Bell!!
Page 3 of 6 123 45 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#31)
Fatboy
AzB Silver Member
Fatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2400

01-17-2013, 01:04 PM

WOW thats a name i havent heard in years, used to hear people talk about him on the rail at many pool rooms. I never met him, if I have I dont recall it. Glad this thread popped up again, good job!!!!

On the topic of old threads, imagine in 50 or 100 years from now how cool it will be for those people to see and read about whats going on now. I'd like to read about Harold Worst, etc. Things written as they unfolded, not historical recollations

OG member of the Lock Society members or OG-LS;

Just call me Fat-Lock

im getting old and sloppy....

Old
  (#32)
stevelomako
We bust hustlers
stevelomako has a reputation beyond reputestevelomako has a reputation beyond reputestevelomako has a reputation beyond reputestevelomako has a reputation beyond reputestevelomako has a reputation beyond reputestevelomako has a reputation beyond reputestevelomako has a reputation beyond reputestevelomako has a reputation beyond reputestevelomako has a reputation beyond reputestevelomako has a reputation beyond reputestevelomako has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1100

01-17-2013, 09:08 PM

If anyone gets the chance, ask him about the 5 girls from the strip club, the bananas and the jelly donuts.

Tell him I said hello.

Old
  (#33)
ribdoner
SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
ribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4300

01-17-2013, 09:40 PM

First time i saw BB play was at MOTHERS in Charlotte at least 20 yrs ago. He was down with one of the bar table monsters (Turner or Browning) from Ga playing pretty high on a Gold Grown on the non-action side, rail was also stacked high which BB took off in short order.

He played like burnin hell.

He hung around my place in the late 90's for a while but couldn't get any action to speak of.

i enjoyed him

the truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Bucky Bell
Old
  (#34)
fishermanOICUR1
AzB Silver Member
fishermanOICUR1 has a reputation beyond reputefishermanOICUR1 has a reputation beyond reputefishermanOICUR1 has a reputation beyond reputefishermanOICUR1 has a reputation beyond reputefishermanOICUR1 has a reputation beyond reputefishermanOICUR1 has a reputation beyond reputefishermanOICUR1 has a reputation beyond reputefishermanOICUR1 has a reputation beyond reputefishermanOICUR1 has a reputation beyond reputefishermanOICUR1 has a reputation beyond reputefishermanOICUR1 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Bucky Bell - 01-17-2013, 10:54 PM

Bucky and I are the same age, but I never met him until 2 years ago at the Brickyard in Indy. He wasnt shooting but came to put some money down on one of his locals (Lansing). He and I struck up a conversation(imagine that) and he told me of the time several years ago when he went to the store to get milk for his wife and didnt return (many years). So it seems he's back in the ole hometown and his wife (still) hears he is in town and invites him over for a chat. So Bucky shows up, they talk and she asks him to stay (permanent like). He agrees. Well Bucky is a welder, carpenter and general all around handy man-type and she knows it. Poor Bucky get saddled with many years of neglect that the house had suffered in his absence. His grin and laugh let me know that he didn't mind that one bit. I hope to live long enough to cross his path again!

Old
  (#35)
kor b
AzB Silver Member
kor b has a reputation beyond reputekor b has a reputation beyond reputekor b has a reputation beyond reputekor b has a reputation beyond reputekor b has a reputation beyond reputekor b has a reputation beyond reputekor b has a reputation beyond reputekor b has a reputation beyond reputekor b has a reputation beyond reputekor b has a reputation beyond reputekor b has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

02-10-2016, 10:56 PM

As of a month or two ago Bucky is back in the Lansing Mi. Area. I seen him a couple times at Micky's Bar Friday night tournament near Dewitt, Mi. With very little engagement from me the story's started flowing out. I remember Bucky from Hall Of Fame and Pockets. Both now out of business. Bucky and Jimmy Matya are our hometown talents. Imo in that order.

Old
  (#36)
poolwhiz
AzB Silver Member
poolwhiz has a reputation beyond reputepoolwhiz has a reputation beyond reputepoolwhiz has a reputation beyond reputepoolwhiz has a reputation beyond reputepoolwhiz has a reputation beyond reputepoolwhiz has a reputation beyond reputepoolwhiz has a reputation beyond reputepoolwhiz has a reputation beyond reputepoolwhiz has a reputation beyond reputepoolwhiz has a reputation beyond reputepoolwhiz has a reputation beyond repute

02-11-2016, 08:05 AM

Bucky tried to get in a handycapped tournament at Wagon Wheel Willie's in the 80's as a c-player. Got caught and kicked out of the tournament. Trick didn't work,but he tried.

Old
  (#37)
book collector
AzB Silver Member
book collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond repute

02-11-2016, 08:39 AM

I have been watching, talking to, documenting stories and generally doing everything historically speaking, concerning almost every pool player in the last 50 years.
When Bucky Bells name comes up, you almost always get a smile from all the people who know him.
I first met Bucky in the 80s, had no idea who he was and asked him to play some 5 dollar nine ball.
We go back and forth and he keeps winning an extra game every 3 or 5 racks.
I'm stuck about 40.00 and getting ready to jack the bet, I am shooting at a 3 ball and see no way out of the rack the way the balls are laying unless you were Godzilla and I play the shot back to him .
He draws the ball zig zag across and up the table 4 or 5 rails and kinda looks out from under his glasses , like ,whatta ya think about that.
He runs out and I said mister that draw shot was the worst shot I ever seen!
He barks back "whatta ya mean , that was a great shot!"
I said " yes it was , but you lost me with it"!
He started that laugh of his, and I was almost on the floor.
I see him again a few years later when he walks into a poolroom where none of the guys ever left town, and they had no idea who the good players were.
I thought this is perfect for Bucky , they have no idea who he is.
When he walked in someone says , you must be a hustler "Their standard reverse psychology move"!
I said "he can't be a hustler , it's only 1 o clock in the afternoon".
Bucky doesn't remember me and barks out, maybe I was up all night!
He did get some cheap action, with the best 3 cushion player in town, until he made a 3 rail draw shot, on a table that was so slow, it was like playing in gravel.
I hope he's alive and well and happy, he's one of the good guys.

Old
  (#38)
strmanglr scott
AzB Silver Member
strmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond repute

02-11-2016, 08:48 AM

You guys are talking of him in past tense. He's still around right? We talking about same guy, old, about 5'8", southern is just written on his face, real skinny?

He's taken our three and out local tourney at Mickey's bar a couple weeks in a row.

Met him a couple years ago. Someone asked about jumping and w out hesitation he set up a jump shot and did it w a house cue like it was a gimme shot.

Old
  (#39)
watchez
What time is it?
watchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5625

02-11-2016, 08:50 AM

Bucky used to come to St Louis quite a bit back in the late 80s, early 90s. He was never one to shy away from action and always treated his opponent with respect. I saw him take way the worst of it a few times and lost like a gentleman. Definitely one of the good guys.

Watchez Is The Teacher

Those who dance are always laughed at by those who don't even hear the f'in music - George Carlin RIP

Old
  (#40)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

02-11-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishermanOICUR1 View Post
Bucky and I are the same age, but I never met him until 2 years ago at the Brickyard in Indy. He wasnt shooting but came to put some money down on one of his locals (Lansing). He and I struck up a conversation(imagine that) and he told me of the time several years ago when he went to the store to get milk for his wife and didnt return (many years). So it seems he's back in the ole hometown and his wife (still) hears he is in town and invites him over for a chat. So Bucky shows up, they talk and she asks him to stay (permanent like). He agrees. Well Bucky is a welder, carpenter and general all around handy man-type and she knows it. Poor Bucky get saddled with many years of neglect that the house had suffered in his absence. His grin and laugh let me know that he didn't mind that one bit. I hope to live long enough to cross his path again!
This might be the best pool story I've heard with a happy ending.

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#41)
RADAR
AzB Silver Member
RADAR has a reputation beyond reputeRADAR has a reputation beyond reputeRADAR has a reputation beyond reputeRADAR has a reputation beyond reputeRADAR has a reputation beyond reputeRADAR has a reputation beyond reputeRADAR has a reputation beyond reputeRADAR has a reputation beyond reputeRADAR has a reputation beyond reputeRADAR has a reputation beyond reputeRADAR has a reputation beyond repute

02-11-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kor b View Post
As of a month or two ago Bucky is back in the Lansing Mi. Area. I seen him a couple times at Micky's Bar Friday night tournament near Dewitt, Mi. With very little engagement from me the story's started flowing out. I remember Bucky from Hall Of Fame and Pockets. Both now out of business. Bucky and Jimmy Matya are our hometown talents. Imo in that order.
ya remember hearing about Bucky back in day. wish got to see him play. is JIMMY MATYA still in MI.? seams hear in vegas now?

"Now lookie here"
Old
  (#42)
oneballeddie
AzB Silver Member
oneballeddie has a reputation beyond reputeoneballeddie has a reputation beyond reputeoneballeddie has a reputation beyond reputeoneballeddie has a reputation beyond reputeoneballeddie has a reputation beyond reputeoneballeddie has a reputation beyond reputeoneballeddie has a reputation beyond reputeoneballeddie has a reputation beyond reputeoneballeddie has a reputation beyond reputeoneballeddie has a reputation beyond reputeoneballeddie has a reputation beyond repute

"Now lookie here" - 02-11-2016, 09:16 AM

Bucky is one of my favorite pool people. Took a lesson from him and he demonstrated a firehose of shots running around the table saying "now lookie here!" Don't remember any of the shots but still can't get the "now lookie here" out of my head.

One year circa 1997 or so I had the privilege of playing as a sub on one of those great Airway Vegas teams (Gary Spaeth, Frank Ruby, Jason Miller, Bucky Bell). It was in the VNEA Nationals I think and we were pounding the opposing team game after game. Shortly, we noticed the entire opposing team had disappeared, no where to be seen. Turned out they were out in the hall protesting to the Tournament Directors that there was no way we could be in the Open Division with Master players like Bucky Bell on our team. Then up comes Bucky Bell to argue our case in his typical woofing style. I'll never forget Bucky shouting how absurd these allegations were while wearing his black leather VNEA Masters jacket from the year before.

Thanks for jiggling that memory!

Old
  (#43)
DoubleA
AzB Silver Member
DoubleA has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleA has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleA has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleA has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleA has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleA has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleA has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleA has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleA has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleA has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleA has a reputation beyond repute

02-11-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky Boy View Post
Bucky is a hoot to watch. And man he is funny too. I watched him play a local that plays the 7 under Rafael Martinez at one of the tournaments at Steepleton's in Lexington, Ky in about '96. This guy had no idea who Bucky was and really talked some trash to BB playing 9 ball on a barbox in the back. Needless to say after a few games the trash talking stopped on the locals part and Bucky fired back with some of his own. It was great as the local was the biggest ass you could ever meet. Bucky played very sporty that evening. I saw him at derby city in '04 and his game had fallen off quite a bit. I think his health was ailing him at the time but I really like to watch him play when he is on. He is very creative.
On another note in the same tournament this is when I first saw Corey Duell play. He had a powerful stroke even has a young kid about in his teens. He played very well although he didn't when the tournament.
I was there, no one really knew who Corey was, I bought him 1st in the calcutta and he won it. Unless this was another time. I only knew of him being there one time.

Playing is skill, but sweatin' is an art.
Al

Old
  (#44)
DoubleA
AzB Silver Member
DoubleA has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleA has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleA has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleA has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleA has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleA has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleA has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleA has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleA has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleA has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleA has a reputation beyond repute

02-11-2016, 02:03 PM

Know Bucky well, watched him play many times, he had a very powerful break.

Playing is skill, but sweatin' is an art.
Al

Old
  (#45)
rikdee
AzB Silver Member
rikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond repute

02-11-2016, 02:18 PM

Was table-side one afternoon many years ago at the Hall of Fame in Lansing. He was offering $10 proposition shots to any taker. Years later I played in a 9 ball Calcutta in Cold Water Michigan, Bucky was in the field. Far as I can say, nice guy and a skilled player.

Page 3 of 6 123 45 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: