Thinking of replacing Phonelic Tip on Break Cue

Halter

Registered
I have a one piece phenolic ferrule / tip on my break cue (Sledgehammer) and I am thinking of changing it out. Is it possible to take down the tip to a flat phenolic ferrule and then add a leather tip ( Samsara). If so, can anyone tell me what I might expect on the new feel. I am hoping to keep the power I currently get from the phenolic tip without the occasional miscues.

Thank you for any advice.

504boi

Registered
This is exactly what I did to my phenolic tip when bca banned them for breaking. Worked liked a charm, never looked back.

woodyosborne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i just got a MG sledgehammer JB, phenolic tip/ferrule. i am just getting used to it a bit but i think i would try to let up a bit and go for accuracy and work up to speed.
i don't miscue much with mine but there was that little incident tonight when the cue slipped out of my hand and went flying down the table amongst all the balls. LOL grip is just a bit slippery.
i do definitely like the hit on this cue, a little bit more than the fury i had. aving said what i would do, i will say that i do agree that you would miscue a bit less with the leather tip on a phenolic ferrule. that is IMHO.

ctran

You watch me.
Silver Member
I think any cue repairman can cut down the phenolic for you to install another tip on it. phenolic is good for ferrule so no need to change ferrule

samsara break/jump tip works wonder for me, I am ordering a denali breaker with 2 shafts, 1 with a samsara, other with a white diamond, cant wait for them to come.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a one piece phenolic ferrule / tip on my break cue (Sledgehammer) and I am thinking of changing it out. Is it possible to take down the tip to a flat phenolic ferrule and then add a leather tip ( Samsara). If so, can anyone tell me what I might expect on the new feel. I am hoping to keep the power I currently get from the phenolic tip without the occasional miscues.

Thank you for any advice.

This is a very good idea. The Samsara is a very good tip and you will find it relatively easy to hold the cue ball center table with it. I have done this to my own MG Sledgehammer as well as several local players JB cues and everybody likes them. I shorten the ferrule to 3/4 before installing the Samsara.

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fiber Pad?

I bought a mcdermott sledgehammer on here that had the phenolic cut down and a samsara put on. Breaks pretty good, but I may be in the minority that actually prefers the phenolic hit.

The one I bought on here though had a fiber pad or some kind of pad between the one piece tip/ferrule and the the Samsara tip. Needless to say I miscued (like a newb) one time and the tip popped off. I took it down to Charlie's pro shop in Dundalk, MD and he told me that he had no idea why a fiber pad would be in between. Charlie told me that the pad might actually sap some of the energy from the break and make the already difficult bond between phenolic and leather even more difficult. Makes sense to me and I trust his knowledge. Anyways, he ground down the pad and put it right back on and it still breaks as hard as before. Granted I haven't really played as much as I used to so I don't really know how well it will hold. Just thought I would share if you intended to put one of those pads in between.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For a cheap experiment, a super pro is an extremely hard leather tip and works well for breaking.

Usually, facing off the rounded portion of a one piece and adding a tip is just as easy as a normal tip replacement.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You should have no problem installing a leather tip on it. You might consider the one piece Mad Man break tips. Most get more control on the break and less miscues than phenolic with them. Yet it is still really hard, but not as hard as phenolic.