AT&T Telemarketing Alert!
Old
  (#1)
Sofla
AzB Silver Member
Sofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

AT&T Telemarketing Alert! - 06-25-2019, 03:15 PM

That is exactly the caller ID displayed on a call I got today.

I have never seen it before. I haven't signed up for any opting out of telemarketing for years (and it stopped working long ago, if it ever did work).

I have no idea how this happened, but I sure hope it becomes standard. It may have been the soliciting company forced to register that way for some abuse sanction.

More like this, please! Ever see anything like that?

The point of modern propaganda isn't only to misinform or push an agenda. It is to exhaust your critical thinking, to annihilate truth.

― Garry Kasparov

... the line separating good and evil passes not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either -- but right through every human heart -- and through all human hearts.

― Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn

Old
  (#2)
WGDave
AzB Silver Member
WGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond repute

06-25-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofla View Post

I have never seen it before. I haven't signed up for any opting out of telemarketing for years (and it stopped working long ago, if it ever did work).

I have no idea how this happened, but I sure hope it becomes standard. It may have been the soliciting company forced to register that way for some abuse sanction.

The scammers are using VOIP set-ups, allowing them to write whatever they like in the caller ID area.

I have received in the last 3 days at least 20 phishing phone calls.

It has gotten so bad that I am looking into apps that will block these calls, at least somewhat.

Just read a stat this morning that over 50% of cell phone calls are now scammers, up from just over 3% a few years ago.

The technology to make these calls has become cheap, so the rise is not unexpected.

The cell providers could stop this if they wanted.

In order to continue advancing their illogical arguments modern liberals have to pretend not to know things…

Old
  (#3)
jimmyco
jimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond repute

06-25-2019, 04:52 PM

I get several calls that come up as Scam Likely. I just decline them.

My girlfriend is convinced that is the name assigned to my phone book for my side action.

Player-Bob Owen Custom
Breaker-N.E. O'Barqueue
Case-Rusty Melton 1x2

Old
  (#4)
Sofla
AzB Silver Member
Sofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond repute

06-25-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyco View Post
I get several calls that come up as Scam Likely. I just decline them.

My girlfriend is convinced that is the name assigned to my phone book for my side action.
Is that your carrier doing that caller ID, and which one do you have?

The point of modern propaganda isn't only to misinform or push an agenda. It is to exhaust your critical thinking, to annihilate truth.

― Garry Kasparov

... the line separating good and evil passes not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either -- but right through every human heart -- and through all human hearts.

Old
  (#5)
Sofla
AzB Silver Member

06-25-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGDave View Post
The scammers are using VOIP set-ups, allowing them to write whatever they like in the caller ID area.

I have received in the last 3 days at least 20 phishing phone calls.

It has gotten so bad that I am looking into apps that will block these calls, at least somewhat.

Just read a stat this morning that over 50% of cell phone calls are now scammers, up from just over 3% a few years ago.

The technology to make these calls has become cheap, so the rise is not unexpected.

The cell providers could stop this if they wanted.
I get regular spoofed numbers that caller ID shows as having the same first three exchange numbers I have, after the area code. Their plan seems to be to make you think it's local to you and more likely to be real.

I know that pattern now so I ignore the call and block it later. Only ~10,000 to go now, and I'll be free of that one.

― Garry Kasparov

Old
  (#6)
jimmyco
jimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond repute

06-25-2019, 05:18 PM

T-Mobile

I never signed up and do not pay extra, so not sure if the carrier is doing it or not.

She uses Metro PCS and gets the same caller ID message. I believe Metro PCS is now part of T-Mobile, so it may very well be the carrier.

Player-Bob Owen Custom
Breaker-N.E. O'Barqueue
Case-Rusty Melton 1x2

Old
  (#7)
WGDave
AzB Silver Member
WGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond repute

06-25-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
I get regular spoofed numbers that caller ID shows as having the same first three exchange numbers I have, after the area code. Their plan seems to be to make you think it's local to you and more likely to be real.

I know that pattern now so I ignore the call and block it later. Only ~10,000 to go now, and I'll be free of that one.
Yes, I have been wise to that robocall tactic for a while.

They call it the "Good Neighbor" spoof.

Here is a new app that is coming out.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/06/25/...RlHzHrtuQYk6p3

All the mobile providers have their own apps, some of them free, and some with paid added features.

I have AT&T, and they offer one, although I've read that it is only so so.

In order to continue advancing their illogical arguments modern liberals have to pretend not to know things…

Old
  (#8)
slop stroke
I drink, theyfore I ain't
slop stroke has a reputation beyond reputeslop stroke has a reputation beyond reputeslop stroke has a reputation beyond reputeslop stroke has a reputation beyond reputeslop stroke has a reputation beyond reputeslop stroke has a reputation beyond reputeslop stroke has a reputation beyond reputeslop stroke has a reputation beyond reputeslop stroke has a reputation beyond reputeslop stroke has a reputation beyond reputeslop stroke has a reputation beyond repute

06-25-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:

https://about.att.com/pages/cyberaware/ae/cp

It is a relatively new service provided by AT&T for customers who have Voice and Video capability. It is called AT&T Call Protect - so it warns you about incoming calls and presents to the call-ed party (you) all that they can share via the caller ID. For example, you may begin to see calls from cell phone users, who you do not have in your address book, presented in the caller ID. Unfortunately some of the values are from prior owners of the calling party number. Anyway it is a good thing that you can use to block spammers.

"And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?"

Old
  (#9)
Sofla
AzB Silver Member

06-25-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGDave View Post
Yes, I have been wise to that robocall tactic for a while.

They call it the "Good Neighbor" spoof.

Here is a new app that is coming out.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/06/25/...RlHzHrtuQYk6p3

All the mobile providers have their own apps, some of them free, and some with paid added features.

I have AT&T, and they offer one, although I've read that it is only so so.
I heard the same thing about it, so I didn't try it.

This new one looks capable if it pans out, and thanks for that info. I'll watch for reviews and check it out.

― Garry Kasparov

Old
  (#10)
Sofla
AzB Silver Member

06-25-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop stroke View Post
https://about.att.com/pages/cyberaware/ae/cp

It is a relatively new service provided by AT&T for customers who have Voice and Video capability. It is called AT&T Call Protect - so it warns you about incoming calls and presents to the call-ed party (you) all that they can share via the caller ID. For example, you may begin to see calls from cell phone users, who you do not have in your address book, presented in the caller ID. Unfortunately some of the values are from prior owners of the calling party number. Anyway it is a good thing that you can use to block spammers.
Thanks for this, slop stroke.

― Garry Kasparov

Old
  (#11)
Sev
I taut I saw a pussy cat!
Sev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond repute

06-26-2019, 03:58 AM

I received a warning that my soc sec number had been compromised and that there was suspicious activity concerning its use.

Sounded legit to me.

Keep your head down and admire the shot.

COVFEFE!!

“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”---Martin Luther King, Jr.

I'm just a flea along for the ride... ---366Robin

Revelations of truth undermine a foundation of belief built on lies.---Sev

If our answers scare you, maybe you should stop asking frightening questions.---ChicagoRJ

Old
  (#12)
ChopStick
Unsane Poster
ChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-26-2019, 04:18 AM

Quote:

Look at the details on your account. AT&T has added at least one ROBO/SPAM call blocking feature at no charge. There are several others available for free. I have them all. Although one of them incorrectly identified calls from Spectrum cable as SPAM calls.

Don't believe everything you think.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: