Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Ask The Cuemaker
Reload this Page What's the best way to burnish a tip without a lathe?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
What's the best way to burnish a tip without a lathe?
Old
  (#1)
thubosky
AzB Silver Member
thubosky has a reputation beyond reputethubosky has a reputation beyond reputethubosky has a reputation beyond reputethubosky has a reputation beyond reputethubosky has a reputation beyond reputethubosky has a reputation beyond reputethubosky has a reputation beyond reputethubosky has a reputation beyond reputethubosky has a reputation beyond reputethubosky has a reputation beyond reputethubosky has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Arrow What's the best way to burnish a tip without a lathe? - 01-31-2014, 11:24 AM

Eventually ill get a lathe, but until then I need a way to really burnish the sides of my tip so that it's really shiny. I really like how a tip plays when it's burnished good and the sides are hard and shiny.

I have a joe proper plastic burnisher but it seems too tricky since you can't see what it's doing until you pull it off. Sometimes depending on the shaft it'll make the overly conical.

Any advice? Anyone use the tip burnishing liquid from tiger?
Thanks,
Tim

pina but it works
Old
  (#2)
desi2960
AzB Silver Member
desi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

pina but it works - 01-31-2014, 11:50 AM

remove the shaft from the butt, lay the shaft across your legs while you are setting down. slightly wet the sides of the tip, holding the tip firm with a piece of leather, pushing away then pulling back, roll the cue back and forth across your legs. same principal as starting a fire with a stick twirled between your hands,
leather, moisture, friction = shinny

Old
  (#3)
The Piper
Get Ugly...
The Piper has a reputation beyond reputeThe Piper has a reputation beyond reputeThe Piper has a reputation beyond reputeThe Piper has a reputation beyond reputeThe Piper has a reputation beyond reputeThe Piper has a reputation beyond reputeThe Piper has a reputation beyond reputeThe Piper has a reputation beyond reputeThe Piper has a reputation beyond reputeThe Piper has a reputation beyond reputeThe Piper has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to The Piper  
01-31-2014, 12:16 PM

I take some spit.. rub it on the side of the tip. Grab a match book, rip off the cover (thin card board) squeeze and twist the tip. Has never failed me.

To be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid.

Catching fish is as incidental to fishing as making babies is to f@#$ing. ~William Humphrey

Old
  (#4)
Brickcues
AzB Gold Member
Brickcues has a reputation beyond reputeBrickcues has a reputation beyond reputeBrickcues has a reputation beyond reputeBrickcues has a reputation beyond reputeBrickcues has a reputation beyond reputeBrickcues has a reputation beyond reputeBrickcues has a reputation beyond reputeBrickcues has a reputation beyond reputeBrickcues has a reputation beyond reputeBrickcues has a reputation beyond reputeBrickcues has a reputation beyond repute

01-31-2014, 01:56 PM

I have always used the top of the rail on the pool table. Just wet the side of the tip and then rub the tip across the felt and rotate shaft while doing so. The friction of the cloth will burnish.

burnisher
Old
  (#5)
carguy
AzB Silver Member
carguy has a reputation beyond reputecarguy has a reputation beyond reputecarguy has a reputation beyond reputecarguy has a reputation beyond reputecarguy has a reputation beyond reputecarguy has a reputation beyond reputecarguy has a reputation beyond reputecarguy has a reputation beyond reputecarguy has a reputation beyond reputecarguy has a reputation beyond reputecarguy has a reputation beyond repute

burnisher - 01-31-2014, 04:34 PM

Yup, what Alex said. I like the Porper tool too. The conical sides straighten out after a rack or two and it ends up nice. I keep one in my case.

Robin Snyder

Old
  (#6)
cuejo
Cue Repair tech
cuejo has a reputation beyond reputecuejo has a reputation beyond reputecuejo has a reputation beyond reputecuejo has a reputation beyond reputecuejo has a reputation beyond reputecuejo has a reputation beyond reputecuejo has a reputation beyond reputecuejo has a reputation beyond reputecuejo has a reputation beyond reputecuejo has a reputation beyond reputecuejo has a reputation beyond repute

01-31-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickcues View Post
I have always used the top of the rail on the pool table. Just wet the side of the tip and then rub the tip across the felt and rotate shaft while doing so. The friction of the cloth will burnish.

I used to wet the sides with spit and run against the Formica countertop.
When all else fails that used to work for me.
I tried the matchbook.
Sometime I would scrape the wax off a playing card first and burnish onto that too

Darcy Musurichan
Cuejo's Cue Repair
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cuejos...91413687562859
http://www.youtube.com/user/cuejoscu...lts_right_main

Canadian Ultra Skin Layered Tip Supplier
Ultra Skin tips are 6.95 each
Contact me for bulk pricing
Shipping is 5.00 flat
Available in Canada only

Old
  (#7)
waynewrc
AzB Bronze Member
waynewrc is on a distinguished road

01-31-2014, 06:39 PM

After burnishing a little thin super glue around it will help stop the mushrooming.

Old
  (#8)
thubosky
AzB Silver Member
thubosky has a reputation beyond reputethubosky has a reputation beyond reputethubosky has a reputation beyond reputethubosky has a reputation beyond reputethubosky has a reputation beyond reputethubosky has a reputation beyond reputethubosky has a reputation beyond reputethubosky has a reputation beyond reputethubosky has a reputation beyond reputethubosky has a reputation beyond reputethubosky has a reputation beyond repute

01-31-2014, 09:25 PM

Wow thanks for all the different methods everyone! I'm gonna give them a try and see how it goes. Sometimes also when I use the proper tool, it'll get so tight on it that it feels like it's gonna pull the tip off the shaft when I go to get the tool off.

Old
  (#9)
Brickcues
AzB Gold Member
Brickcues has a reputation beyond reputeBrickcues has a reputation beyond reputeBrickcues has a reputation beyond reputeBrickcues has a reputation beyond reputeBrickcues has a reputation beyond reputeBrickcues has a reputation beyond reputeBrickcues has a reputation beyond reputeBrickcues has a reputation beyond reputeBrickcues has a reputation beyond reputeBrickcues has a reputation beyond reputeBrickcues has a reputation beyond repute

02-01-2014, 09:38 AM

I love people that use the little tool they have to burnish as I usually get to put a new tip on as it will take them off if you are not careful.

Old
  (#10)
dannylee
AzB Gold Member
dannylee has a reputation beyond reputedannylee has a reputation beyond reputedannylee has a reputation beyond reputedannylee has a reputation beyond reputedannylee has a reputation beyond reputedannylee has a reputation beyond reputedannylee has a reputation beyond reputedannylee has a reputation beyond reputedannylee has a reputation beyond reputedannylee has a reputation beyond reputedannylee has a reputation beyond repute

02-07-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynewrc View Post
After burnishing a little thin super glue around it will help stop the mushrooming.
Worst thing you can ever do to a tip

Dollar bill
Old
  (#11)
PickPocket
AzB Silver Member
PickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond repute

Dollar bill - 02-25-2014, 10:23 AM

Kinda surprised no one has mentioned using a dollar bill yet?

Also I use the q-wiz once the "Smooth" side has gotten worn out, it makes for a nice burnisher on the tip! (Yes like everyone else stated, a little spit helps!)

"I'm a "C" Player....C you rack, C me run out! C your C-Notes in my hand...C-U Later!"

Old
  (#12)
Lexicologist71
Rabid Schuler fanatic
Lexicologist71 has a reputation beyond reputeLexicologist71 has a reputation beyond reputeLexicologist71 has a reputation beyond reputeLexicologist71 has a reputation beyond reputeLexicologist71 has a reputation beyond reputeLexicologist71 has a reputation beyond reputeLexicologist71 has a reputation beyond reputeLexicologist71 has a reputation beyond reputeLexicologist71 has a reputation beyond reputeLexicologist71 has a reputation beyond reputeLexicologist71 has a reputation beyond repute

02-25-2014, 10:59 AM

Dollar bill, leather, Porper, they are all good tools if you're diligent with technique.

Paul Disbennet
Tullahoma, TN

Old
  (#13)
thubosky
AzB Silver Member

02-25-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicologist71 View Post
Dollar bill, leather, Porper, they are all good tools if you're diligent with technique.
Yea I saw a really good amateur player from my area use a dollar bill just the other day and I tried it and it worked really well. I also used the porper and pieces of card board like from a hot pockets box and that worked but got some of the white residue burnished into the tip. I guess it was the wax or something.

Also, does anyone use the tiger clear tip burnisher liquid? I tried it and it seemss pretty good to me. Had a rough time using the porper tool on my soft ki-tech tip on a 11.75 mm shaft. It felt good but when I took it off it actually stretched the tip to like 1 1/2 it's size lol. And it ruined the playing characteristics. So I pulled it off and the tip was like spongy and springy then. I'd squeeze it and it would go back to its original position. Thought it was weird lol.
Tim

Great vid
Old
  (#14)
Canadian cue
AzB Silver Member
Canadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond repute

Great vid - 02-25-2014, 12:33 PM

This is one of the best vids I have seen for doing a tip without a lathe. He shows his technique for burnishing near the end, but the whole vid is worth a watch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RAi5zDnVGM

Old
  (#15)
JoeyA
Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
JoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1300

04-23-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian cue View Post
This is one of the best vids I have seen for doing a tip without a lathe. He shows his technique for burnishing near the end, but the whole vid is worth a watch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RAi5zDnVGM
That was a very nice video. Wonder what type of tool that was that he used to trim the tip. It had to be sharper than it looked as it seemed to do a good job. I would be concerned that the initial "chopping" of the tip might loosen the layers of the layered tip.

JoeyA

"I would rather not deal with such questions, because it's like shearing a piglet—a lot of squealing and little wool."

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: