Disappointing gesture from Shane

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe the term "nazi" in layman usage these days is a secondary reference like in "soup nazi" from Seinfeld . NOT a direct reference to Nazi as in Nazi Germany :grin-square:

1400127270-0.jpg

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe the term "nazi" in layman usage these days is a secondary reference like in "soup nazi" from Seinfeld . NOT a direct reference to Nazi as in Nazi Germany :grin-square:

1400127270-0.jpg

Right, but the problem is, in my experience, people get banned for less than that on here.

Last edited:

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I agree, I think it's totally disrespectful. I have always disliked it when people do that.

I finally had someone actually wipe their tip on the carpet after we were done playing. I had just beaten the guy 3 games in a row in 1 pocket. Shut him out the first 2 games, and his lady wife called during the third game telling him to gtf home and bring groceries :wave3: While he was packing up his stuff I saw the move coming, I was like “oh yeah, here it comes baby!” and sure enough he even did like a boy scout fire starting technique into the carpet. He got friction. It was hilarious in light of this dramatic thread. Instead of directing him here to read about the error of his ways I just smiled internally, and proceeded to beat another guy who is a better player than me 2-0. I was up in the third game when he had to go to the other side of the hall for his league business. I credit this win to my internal elation at witnessing a first hand chalk/carpet clean for the 1st time (in real life) so soon after this here convo.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Little things like this, create the scenario where, "some Pool Players are looked up to, in the Pool Room, but all Pool Players are looked down on, by Society...

ImaPoolnut

I'm just a PoolNut
Silver Member
Cleaning chalk off tip

I was watching Shane's match against Aranas on the TV table, and after it was over you could see Shane drag the tip of his cue on the rug to clean it of chalk before he put in the case. He then did the same for the second cue.

For some reason that bothered me. He always seemed like an elegant player, but I thought that lacked class. Surely he could have used a paper towel or his own towel?

Julian

https://youtu.be/EtCenT6VNd0

I honestly do this myself and consider myself to be a true gentleman on the table in in my game for over 30 years. I've seen dozens of pro players do the exact same thing. I really don't see the issue here other than it may be a tad bit disrespectful to the room owner and his staff who have to clean the room up every night.

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
I honestly do this myself and consider myself to be a true gentleman on the table in in my game for over 30 years. I've seen dozens of pro players do the exact same thing. I really don't see the issue here other than it may be a tad bit disrespectful to the room owner and his staff who have to clean the room up every night.

“I’m a true gentleman,” he stated, grinding his cue into the carpet that someone else paid for and has to clean.

Wtf...are we living in the 1850’s, or Red Dead Redemption 2?

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I knew an owner who was such a neat freak, we'd put a dime size piece of paper on the floor and bet on how long before he picked it up in a 12000 sq ft room. He once, in front of a PACKED room (33 tables), threw a kid out, smacking him on his head and grumbling "get out MFR" the whole way out from the back of the room- "What happened George?" "MF'r didnt flush the toilet!"

He had no problem, with the tip/carpet move. In fact his best friend did it.

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
I knew an owner who was such a neat freak, we'd put a dime size piece of paper on the floor and bet on how long before he picked it up in a 12000 sq ft room. He once, in front of a PACKED room (33 tables), threw a kid out, smacking him on his head and grumbling "get out MFR" the whole way out from the back of the room- "What happened George?" "MF'r didnt flush the toilet!"

He had no problem, with the tip/carpet move. In fact his best friend did it.

One of the points of the people objecting to this, including myself, is that this is inappropriate for a televised/streamed match because it doesn’t present the professional pool player in the best possible light. It doesn’t matter what the majority think of it, or what a particularly strict pool room owner allows and doesn’t allow in his establishment. The fact that a decent percentage of people here have expressed their disapproval of this behavior is an indication that a decent percentage of people viewing a televised/streamed match would also disapprove.

Do you want the best possible outcome from the recent efforts and money put into promoting pool? Then try to consider not from your own point of view, but from the point of view of presenting pool in it’s absolute best possible form, including the behavior of those representing it.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
One of the points of the people objecting to this, including myself, is that this is inappropriate for a televised/streamed match because it doesn’t present the professional pool player in the best possible light. It doesn’t matter what the majority think of it, or what a particularly strict pool room owner allows and doesn’t allow in his establishment. The fact that a decent percentage of people here have expressed their disapproval of this behavior is an indication that a decent percentage of people viewing a televised/streamed match would also disapprove.

Do you want the best possible outcome from the recent efforts and money put into promoting pool? Then try to consider not from your own point of view, but from the point of view of presenting pool in it’s absolute best possible form, including the behavior of those representing it.
I agree completely with your well reasoned point. I have however come to believe that a certain percentage will simply never be able to understand it is and was always about how it appears to the public and not about one more stain on an already grimey floor.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
It's really not like that at all.

I kinda think it's like that too...sunflower seeds at the ballpark. They're of the earth (so is chalk, if we're looking at it like that).

The pool table is covered in chalk. Why isn't anyone acknowledging there's chalk everywhere in these places? It's in the air! People take a shot, or chalk up over the carpet, or wipe the rails down dry....... chalks getting all in the carpet.

Why don't we see it? Well in my opinion... it's easily cleaned/settled into the carpet.

I can wipe my cue on the carpet, then wipe it with my shoe and it's gone.

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
I agree completely with your well reasoned point. I have however come to believe that a certain percentage will simply never be able to understand it is and was always about how it appears to the public and not about one more stain on an already grimey floor.

I see your point, but politely disagree. What Shane did, be it on a live stream or not - didn't change the sport of professional pool one bit.

If you know who he is and how he represents himself, then you know there's no ill intent. And if you don't know... well it's a good conversation piece.

I just feel like this whole thread is some attack on Shane because half of us have no problem with wiping chalk in that manner, and the other half evidently take great offense to it and think it's a defamation of the game. An atrocity that should have parents shielding their children's eyes from this behavior......

I try to be mindful of my audience here, this is the same forum where a member accused SVB of giving another player the finger in the middle of a streamed match.....

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Déclassé...low in rank, class, or social position

Can’t imagine a carom player cleaning their tip in the carpet.........
...or a straight pool player from its golden age

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
Déclassé...low in rank, class, or social position

Can’t imagine a carom player cleaning their tip in the carpet.........
...or a straight pool player from its golden age

Those are different interpretations of the sport.

I've never seen a cricket player step out of the batters box, hock a spit wad down the first base line while checking the signs, and step back in.....

Then again, I don't think it's hurting baseball that much:)

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I've never seen a cricket player step out of the batters box, hock a spit wad down the first base line while checking the signs, and step back in.....

Yes! Different sports have different cultures. Derek Jeter didn't spike his glove on the ground after a great diving play. But what I finally want to say is this: the OP is obviously a dork with issues, like a male version of Church Lady from SNL. Really dude? Grow up!

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

In cricket or baseball, it would be unreasonable to act like you’re at a dinner party.

0E5F7141-C70B-4385-9AAD-30FA6C0738FA.jpeg

People that play billiards don’t need that leeway.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
It was a great match. I was there and saw it too.

We can all lose a little class when defeated. Some become complete asses, some simply whipe a little chalk on a rug that was used for the tournament. The rug will be cleaned and used somewhere else whether anyone smeared their tips on it or not.

Shane helped me out on a blackjack table, so I forgive him easily for the chalk on the rug. The lady next to me was hitting 14 and 15 everytime agaist the dealer's bust cards, good 5 and 6 bust cards. Shane was watching. I passed a few "What the hell is she doing?" looks over to Shane, who wasn't playing, but who was just sitting next to the girl. He started coaching her a bit and straightened her out some.