Reload this Page Who won the most $$$?
Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Who won the most $$$?
Old
  (#1)
Michael Andros
tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Michael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Who won the most $$$? - 07-27-2019, 08:24 AM

Ok, now I know this will be up for interpretation due to inflation ( if Lassiter won 170,000 back then, it would be 800,000 now, etc ), but all that being equal, who won the most cheese, gambling only, over the entire course of their "career". There's a TON of candidates. Who won the most?

Player: Ariel Carmeli Titlist Balaushka Tribute
Player: Sideways JossWest
Player: Dave Brainard Titlist - Rambow replica
Player: Tad model Tad-4-P
Player: Meucci QB-12
Player: Joss 10-08
Case: Fellini 1x2
Case: Katana 2x4

"Nobody in the world is going to do anything but sit and watch... while you run out."

~ Tony Proestos ~

"If they don't make you post, bet high!"

~ Fat Randy ~

"The secret to winning one pocket? Run more 8 and outs."

~ Ronnie Allen ~

Old
  (#2)
sjm
Sweating the 2017 Mosconi
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

07-27-2019, 08:56 AM

As you said, from 1942-48, Lassiter won 300,000 gambling at pool. That's 50,000 a year. Back then, that would have bought you about 40 new cars per year or, if you prefer, a pretty big house every year.

Still, I think it's safe to say that guys like Bucktooth and Jack Cooney won a whole lot more than that. What they did, however, can't be done anymore. Staying under the radar is near impossible in the internet era.

My guess is that the answer is Jack Cooney. That whole "Detroit gang" in the 1980-1995 period may have been the biggest action players of all time,and the stars of the Detroit scene, arguably, were the most successful ever gamblers at pool.

My favorite Jack Cooney story is from the night he was inducted into the one-pocket hall of fame just a few years ago. George Breedlove, a prolific and successful road warrior of pool who'd have been well aware of Cooney, attended Jack's induction. I saw George later that evening and he said to me "I never knew until tonight what he looked like." Now that's under the radar!

No wonder Cooney made so much money. Of course, noone knows how much he made.

Old
  (#3)
Michael Andros
Michael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond repute

07-27-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
As you said, from 1942-48, Lassiter won 300,000 gambling at pool. That's 50,000 a year. Back then, that would have bought you about 40 new cars per year or, if you prefer, a pretty big house every year.

Still, I think it's safe to say that guys like Bucktooth and Jack Cooney won a whole lot more than that. What they did, however, can't be done anymore. Staying under the radar is near impossible in the internet era.

My guess is that the answer is Jack Cooney. That whole "Detroit gang" in the 1980-1995 period may have been the biggest action players of all time,and the stars of the Detroit scene, arguably, were the most successful ever gamblers at pool.

My favorite Jack Cooney story is from the night he was inducted into the one-pocket hall of fame just a few years ago. George Breedlove, a prolific and successful road warrior of pool who'd have been well aware of Cooney, attended Jack's induction. I saw George later that evening and he said to me "I never knew until tonight what he looked like." Now that's under the radar!

No wonder Cooney made so much money. Of course, noone knows how much he made.
As you said, Stu, "under the radar". I think it's still possible but very very rare. If someone NEVER shows their face at tournaments or any other "public" function then yeah, I think it's possible. But with smart phones these days and instant media, it would be almost impossible, even staying only in raggedy pool rooms and bars.

That was half the fun of it back in the day. Trying to figure out whole well someone played, without having ever seen them and having NO idea who they might be.

"Nobody in the world is going to do anything but sit and watch... while you run out."

~ Tony Proestos ~

~ Fat Randy ~

~ Ronnie Allen ~

Old
  (#4)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

07-27-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
...from 1942-48, Lassiter won 300,000 gambling at pool.

Of course, noone knows how much [Cooney] made.
How do we know how much any of them, including Lassiter, made?

pj
chgo

Old
  (#5)
bbb
AzB Silver Member

bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

07-27-2019, 09:15 AM

it would have to be a regular winner at the rack during its glory days
especially if they played paul brusilov on a regular basis

Old
  (#6)
Michael Andros

07-27-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post

pj
chgo
Hear-say, I would guess, PJ. Defintiely wasn't in any newspapers, etc.

~ Tony Proestos ~

~ Fat Randy ~

~ Ronnie Allen ~

Old
  (#7)
Michael Andros

07-27-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
it would have to be a regular winner at the rack during its glory days
especially if they played paul brusilov on a regular basis

~ Tony Proestos ~

~ Fat Randy ~

~ Ronnie Allen ~

Last edited by Michael Andros; 07-27-2019 at 09:22 AM.

Old
  (#8)
sjm
Sweating the 2017 Mosconi
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

07-27-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post

pj
chgo
It's mentioned on Wikipedia, in the section called "Hustler Days".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luther_Lassiter

Old
  (#9)
Nostroke
AzB Silver Member

Nostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 10475
  Send a message via MSN to Nostroke  
07-27-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
It's mentioned on Wikipedia, in the section called "Hustler Days".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luther_Lassiter
and he died broke living off the kindness of one man without whom-who knows?

Old
  (#10)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

07-27-2019, 03:07 PM

I don't know how much, but CJ Wiley won quite a bit gambling.

I would imagine Fats won quite a bit, also.

Old
  (#11)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

07-27-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianEye View Post

I think CJ was more successful than most...he did something with his dough.

Pretty tough to evaluate pool playerís winnings...
..I watched Marvin Henderson win $100,000 one night...being backed...
...his end was $10,000.

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#12)
Michael Andros

07-27-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
I think CJ was more successful than most...he did something with his dough.

Pretty tough to evaluate pool playerís winnings...
..I watched Marvin Henderson win $100,000 one night...being backed...
...his end was $10,000.
Wow... I think I would've wanted a bit more of the split. Yeah, I'm not risking a dime. But 10%? Hmmm...

10K does sound nice, though!

~ Tony Proestos ~

~ Fat Randy ~

~ Ronnie Allen ~

Old
  (#13)
Michael Andros

07-27-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:

Fatty's who I was thinking, H.E.. But then I was thinking of all the action in Detroit and figured, probably, someone who was centered there won more. But, no records of that stuff were ever kept. It's all hear-say. But that's kinda what makes it so good to hear about. The story aspect of it.

~ Tony Proestos ~

~ Fat Randy ~

~ Ronnie Allen ~

Old
  (#14)
Michael Andros

07-27-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:

C.J. stopped in Clearwater and came in the room every day for a few months. ( I believe ) he was setting up a game with Bubba ( this was late 70s or early 80s? ). And if I remember correctly, they finally matched up but I don't think C.J. actually got him for much, relatively. If C.J. is reading this, Family Billiards in Clw, correct me if I'm wrong about you matching up with Bubba.

~ Tony Proestos ~

~ Fat Randy ~

~ Ronnie Allen ~

Old
  (#15)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

07-27-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Andros View Post
Wow... I think I would've wanted a bit more of the split. Yeah, I'm not risking a dime. But 10%? Hmmm...

10K does sound nice, though!
They had some monster action in Baton Rouge for awhile...
..some players were playing for as low as 2.5%.
...the money was big enough that players still played...basically a commercial real estate
salesmanís fee.

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: