Efren showing off II.

sascha

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched the complete video lately, that is indeed a awesome shot ! i was like : what the hell.....when i saw it. Efren is just phenomenal

Spyral7

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gotta love the announcer talking about "just a little jump-draw". . .

That's like saying "just a little 30 foot putt for par". . .

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great jump draw shot he had that slow speed high rev action so he got the extra hook. Strong shot.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just to clarify, it was annouced and written in the article that he used left english (spin :)), but he used right based on the action of the cue ball once it hit the bottom rail. Understandable to make a slight mistake when announcing it live, but why was this not corrected in the article???? Mark does an excellent job announcing and this is in no way saying anything against him, just the editor of the artilcle.

Great shot under pressure, Efren's the greatest! And he is the master of creativity, I love watching him shoot. Rep to the OP.

Dave

mbvl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to clarify, it was annouced and written in the article that he used left english (spin :)), but he used right based on the action of the cue ball once it hit the bottom rail. Understandable to make a slight mistake when announcing it live, but why was this not corrected in the article???? Mark does an excellent job announcing and this is in no way saying anything against him, just the editor of the artilcle.

Great shot under pressure, Efren's the greatest! And he is the master of creativity, I love watching him shoot. Rep to the OP.

Dave

C'mon, Dave, Efren doesn't have to obey the laws of physics. He hit it with left, but when the ball was airborne it did a somersault and landed with right spin.:smile: (Probably learned it from HH.)

Mark

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Just to clarify, it was annouced and written in the article that he used left english (spin :)), but he used right based on the action of the cue ball once it hit the bottom rail.

Dave

I think it's hard to say if there was any english on the shot; the CB will pick up a lil right spin from glancing off the OB. I dunno.

Eric

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think it's hard to say if there was any english on the shot; the CB will pick up a lil right spin from glancing off the OB. I dunno.

Eric

Maybe, but after traveling the distance the cue ball traveled, at the speed it traveled, my opinion is that any minimal spin because of the glance should have been used up by the time it hit the rail. No matter, it was a great shot and I have not seen it before so I was happy to be pointed to the link. But the direction the cue ball went after it hit the rail was definitely caused by right spin, so I thought I'd point it out.

Hope you're well, Eric.

Dave

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
C'mon, Dave, Efren doesn't have to obey the laws of physics. He hit it with left, but when the ball was airborne it did a somersault and landed with right spin.:smile: (Probably learned it from HH.)

Mark

You a funny man, Mark!

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Maybe, but after traveling the distance the cue ball traveled, at the speed it traveled, my opinion is that any minimal spin because of the glance should have been used up by the time it hit the rail. No matter, it was a great shot and I have not seen it before so I was happy to be pointed to the link. But the direction the cue ball went after it hit the rail was definitely caused by right spin, so I thought I'd point it out.

Hope you're well, Eric.

Dave

This is exactly right, and in fact you can even see after the CB has landed and the draw has all taken effect, as it rolls slowly toward the camera it's spinning very rapidly. Most of the side-spin wears off by the time it gets to the bottom rail, but there's still enough to very noticeably affect the angle off the rail.

This is not the only one of these "strokes of genius" articles up on BD that mistakes which side the english was applied on. In this one, for instance:
http://www.billiardsdigest.com/new_strokeofgenius/jan10index.php

The article says a touch of right english, but the effect can only be achieved with left. With running english, the ball just takes off uptable; it's reverse english that's required to kill it enough off the rail that the top-spin can have such dramatic effect.

-Andrew

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

Mark

:thumbup::thumbup:

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
A matter of perspective when viewing the shot?

This is exactly right, and in fact you can even see after the CB has landed and the draw has all taken effect, as it rolls slowly toward the camera it's spinning very rapidly. Most of the side-spin wears off by the time it gets to the bottom rail, but there's still enough to very noticeably affect the angle off the rail.

This is not the only one of these "strokes of genius" articles up on BD that mistakes which side the english was applied on. In this one, for instance:
http://www.billiardsdigest.com/new_strokeofgenius/jan10index.php

The article says a touch of right english, but the effect can only be achieved with left. With running english, the ball just takes off uptable; it's reverse english that's required to kill it enough off the rail that the top-spin can have such dramatic effect.

-Andrew

Andrew:

Not to be nit-picky, but when the BD article speaks of "Reyes drilled the cue ball with plenty of follow and a touch of right English" -- aren't they talking about "right/left" from *his* perspective? (Not our perspective, from our rear-of-the-table view, which reverses the notion of "right/left" respectively.)

Jan10_Stroke.jpg

I ask, since in the diagram, right spin/english on the cue ball -- from the shooter's perspective -- *is* checking/killing english off that short rail. Left spin/english -- again, from the shooter's point-of-view -- is running english off that short rail. And you're right -- with running english, that cue ball would've "taken off" uptable after contacting that short rail.

Could this little discrepancy of the "BD articles being wrong in the past about right/left" be merely an issue with perspective?

-Sean

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Andrew:

Not to be nit-picky, but when the BD article speaks of "Reyes drilled the cue ball with plenty of follow and a touch of right English" -- aren't they talking about "right/left" from *his* perspective? (Not our perspective, from our rear-of-the-table view, which reverses the notion of "right/left" respectively.)

Jan10_Stroke.jpg

I ask, since in the diagram, right spin/english on the cue ball -- from the shooter's perspective -- *is* checking/killing english off that short rail. Left spin/english -- again, from the shooter's point-of-view -- is running english off that short rail. And you're right -- with running english, that cue ball would've "taken off" uptable after contacting that short rail.

Could this little discrepancy of the "BD articles being wrong in the past about right/left" be merely an issue with perspective?

-Sean

Running/reverse gets a little confusing here, because the CB's path from the 6 to the rail is actually quite curved, whereas in our drawing it's straight.

To be clear, when hitting that 6 ball with follow, I think right english is "running". The hard stroke with lots of follow will mean the angle of the CB just before it contacts the short rail will actually be very different than what's drawn, and I believe it hits the end rail pretty much perpendicular, not angled to our right as drawn.

Right english (from the shooter's perspective) would throw the CB very rapidly into the long rail, and the spin would send it uptable at a high rate of speed. The follow wouldn't produce all that much affect at that point.

CueTable Help

Left english, on the other hand, brings the CB out from the short rail at the angle drawn, and the follow then has a chance to produce that huge masse effect.

CueTable Help

It's hard to describe, but try it yourself (paying careful attention to the angle Efren had on the 6 in the video clip). You may get a little curve using right english, but use left and you'll see that huge curve, and the all the speed on the CB just die instead of carrying the ball uptable.

-Andrew

Last edited: