D-Series McD's - the good 'uns

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have 3 early D's with total of 5 shafts. A D-1, 2, and 3. All excellent condition and straight. 1 shaft @12.75, 12.5, 3 @ 12.25.
Wondering how you folks like these old cues (wood) compared to the hi-tech stuff out there now? And in the past, how did y'all rate them with Meucci Originals? Thanks ahead for answers!

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have 3 early D's with total of 5 shafts. A D-1, 2, and 3. All excellent condition and straight. 1 shaft @12.75, 12.5, 3 @ 12.25.
Wondering how you folks like these old cues (wood) compared to the tech stuff out there now? And in the past, how did y'all rate there with Meucci Originals? Thanks ahead for answers! Johnny

I've never had a D, but I have a C-14 that I bought new from McDermott and still have it.

This cue plays good. I was using a cue that Richard Black made for me when I bought it and I liked the way it played better than the Black, so I sold the Black and used this cue for many years.

I always keep my cues in good condition, but I sent it back to them for a refinish and rewrap a few years ago just to keep it pristine. I got a new shaft made for it at the same time.

It has been a closet queen since the refinish. It looks so good, I don't want to get it dirty.

Attachments

• 2011-10-28_17-00-58_422.jpg
    2011-10-28_17-00-58_422.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 515
  • 2011-10-28_17-02-14_789.jpg
    2011-10-28_17-02-14_789.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 502
Last edited:

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My first real cue was a Mcdermott d-11 I bought at a Pawnshop for 75 bucks, the shaft was broken so I glued it together, played with it like that for years, sent it off for the same treatment Hawaiian did, and was not disappointed, played with it for another 10 years before I dropped it and broke it real good.

That was last year, in the interim I have bought 3 Mcdermott cues, a dice cue (G-602) and Snap on Cue that came with a case (that looks almost exactly like the Dice cue) and.......an old Mcdermott D-15, which I played with today, it plays exactly the same as my old D-11 and I LOVE IT...worth every one of the 20000 pennies I paid for it.

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have some new McDs and like them a lot. Seem like a lotta stick for the money.

But I'm curious; other than the fact that they're older and scarcer, what if anything is it that makes the old ones better than the new ones? Never had an old one but these new ones are pretty sweet. Mine aren't the highest tech, just the G-Core shafts. But they're straight, well balanced and hit good.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its funny many say the d-series cues are McD's best ever. I think the c-series cues look better and are everybit as good as those dees nuts cues.:eek:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its funny many say the d-series cues are McD's best ever. I think the c-series cues look better and are everybit as good as those dees nuts cues.:eek:

The C-line actually was their best line. The D-line came out in late 1984 and they started getting away from the old-school designs. The C's and D's are very solid hitting and very good quality cues. The only other McDermott I have is a RS-11 that I bought off C.J. Wiley. It was the cue he used to win the Million Dollar Challenge Tournament in Dallas in 1996. That was the tournament where Earl ran the 11 racks for the million dollars. C.J. beat Earl in the finals with this McDermott.

On their website, the C's are valued way more than the D's.

C-line:http://www.mcdermottcue.com/timecapsulec.php

D-line
http://www.mcdermottcue.com/timecapsuled.php

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
McD's. I had a D series. Paid $225 for it and a 2 X 4 case made in Chicago around 85 or 86. I never liked it.
\Gave it away about 6 months ago to a banger. I was hoping it would improve his game. It hasn't.

I just wanted to add no two cues hit alike. Da. I went to see him when he, McDermott was just starting out. My
friend was having a extra long cue made. Point being they were not mass produced and it was just what seamed to me a hobby at
the time.

Last edited:

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I've never had a D, but I have a C-14 that I bought new from McDermott and still have it.

This cue plays good. I was using a cue that Richard Black made for me when I bought it and I liked the way it played better than the Black, so I sold the Black and used this cue for many years.

I always keep my cues in good condition, but I sent it back to them for a refinish and rewrap a few years ago just to keepthe tips were so it pristine. I got a new shaft made for it at the same time.

It has been a closet queen since the refinish. It looks so good, I don't want to get it dirty.

Nice McDermott
I always forget about the C series Mcdermott cues.
Very nice

I like the D series cues like the OP mentioned.
The day I got my D19 I tried to burnish the tips and they were so old they shredded on me.
Even with the old tips I ran 3 racks with it the first day I had it.
Great cue

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just love the looks of the rosewood nose C-series Mcd's.

Attachments

• 20170826_123047.jpg
    20170826_123047.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 301

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sharp points and veneers that pop!

Attachments

• 20170826_123721.jpg
    20170826_123721.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 303

TILT9

Banned
It's rare when I can find wood comparable to McDermott's D series cue's.
They got lucky (real lucky) with that particular Maple.
Those "D" series cue's hit, balanced and handled better (or just as good) as any other cue out there.
I had 1 or 2 "D" series cue's and frankly , I wasn't being smart when I flipped them.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the D series, but I love the C series.

I have several examples of the A and B series, which I really dig. I like the color coordinated bumpers are cool, and I dig the old designs in general. I dig the designs, and I dig the nostalgia.

I do think the C series was their best line for several reasons. They were well made, used some good woods, and some very nice designs.

As far as the shaft wood, in general better shaft wood was simply more common back then although it was already in decline.

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
D series McDermotts

Have several D series I bought new in the 80's including all the D series Harley cues. Some I ordered with SS joints, cork, leather and linen wraps. All are "new" and still in plastic. A couple others I play with in addition to the customs I bought. IMO no cue I own plays "better" than the McD's; just different.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Still one of my favorite beaters, my D-17.

All the best,
WW

Attachments

• 20121206_195618.jpg
    20121206_195618.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 141
  • 20121206_195708.jpg
    20121206_195708.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 139
  • 20121206_195745.jpg
    20121206_195745.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 125
  • 20121206_195826.jpg
    20121206_195826.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 135

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
I saw an ad in the LA Craigslist that said "Que for Sale" $75 with case.
No picture.
Called and ask for the name on cue.
He said McDermott.
I drove out and it turned out to be a D-21.
Original shaft was broken 30 years ago.
A McD black ring shaft was bought as a replacement 30 years ago.
Found a matching ring shaft,here on AzB.

Found a D-7 for $100 on SF CL had them send it to me. Used PayPal.

Got a C-2 in mint condition from fleabay. Payed market price of $275.

Some nice cues being shown here.