Pennys and Washers from the "best in the biz"

LocalArtist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a "professional" set up over the weekend based out of Charlotte NC and these guys were a bit unprofessional in many ways. I was told a guy with 20 years experience was going to show up and they sent 4 jokers to me instead. They seemed to lack a basic understanding of why and how to set up a GCIII, couldn't even put the skirts on... didn't put the ball return on correctly (still have balls dropping on the floor out of one pocket and balls that get hung up under the table from another pocket.

They shimmed each pocket with a washer whether it needed it or not. Now my pockets are all below the top surface of the rails.

I paid over $450 bucks for this (I supplied the felt) and I had to assemble the skirts and finish hammering the feather stripping down cause a different person covered each rail...and the balls hitting the floor and getting stuck, etc.

I knew they were not going to be any good when they showed up with an 11mm wrench and a pair of needle nosed pliers to set the table up.

Why would one do these things and how pissed should I be? Cause right now I kinda want to put this company on blast until they fix it.

They never fixed it ... Classic Home Billiards out of Charlotte. If you want to waste a bunch of money and time give them a call..

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I had a "professional" set up over the weekend based out of Charlotte NC and these guys were a bit unprofessional in many ways. I was told a guy with 20 years experience was going to show up and they sent 4 jokers to me instead. They seemed to lack a basic understanding of why and how to set up a GCIII, couldn't even put the skirts on... didn't put the ball return on correctly (still have balls dropping on the floor out of one pocket and balls that get hung up under the table from another pocket.

They shimmed each pocket with a washer whether it needed it or not. Now my pockets are all below the top surface of the rails.

I paid over $450 bucks for this (I supplied the felt) and I had to assemble the skirts and finish hammering the feather stripping down cause a different person covered each rail...and the balls hitting the floor and getting stuck, etc.

I knew they were not going to be any good when they showed up with an 11mm wrench and a pair of needle nosed pliers to set the table up.

Why would one do these things and how pissed should I be? Cause right now I kinda want to put this company on blast until they fix it.

Blast away! Should have kicked them out without paying.
Jason

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Your trouble is that the guys who screwed it up probably can’t fix it.
....get a real mechanic and eat the loss....
...getting compensated from those guys will not end well.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
According to how you want to proceed. I'd be on the phone with the owner of said company and demanding they send someone over ASAP or else. The or else depends on you and your temperament.

I don't get screwed and deal with professionals, the extra bucks is worth it in the end most of the time. If the owner is a dick I would stop payment if it's possible to do so. If you paid cash you'll learn not to do so unless you have an established rapport with a business.

After all that there is always small claims if it gets to that.
Good Luck...

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I'd be livid.

Don't think I could spend that kind of coin to have a table set up. I'd learn to do it myself before I spent that.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They did it because YOU allowed it. Needle-nosed pliers and an 11mm wrench, what were they gonna level it with? And then you paid them! WOW

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I'd be on the phone with the owner of said company and demanding they send someone over ASAP ...
But then you would be letting workers from that same company touch your table again after you had fixed some of their mistakes. Do you really want them in your house?

JC

Coos Cues
If I can do a better job after watching a 5 minute video on you tube then GTFO of my house.

This applies to much more than just pool table mechanics.

It's amazing how many "professional" tradesmen can't pass this simple opening test.

JC

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
$450 and you supplied the felt.
You got robbed.
In Chicago you get the table set up by a professional with Simonis 860 included for about $450.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get your Money back!

I had a "professional" set up over the weekend based out of Charlotte NC and these guys were a bit unprofessional in many ways.

I paid over $450 bucks for this (I supplied the felt)

There are a number of nice tables in your area, find a Pool hall that has a table that plays the way you want yours to and find out who set that table up. Try to get the Pool hall owner to make the introduction or referral.

If you dont know an attorney who can make the call, then take that company to small claims court and get your Money back.

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our senior rec organization decided to replace 4 old Gandy's with new Diamonds. They sold the old tables for $500 each. I go in the room one day and here are some guys tearing down a table. It becomes fairly obvious that this is something new to them. I start talking with one of them and suggest a few things to do. I asked him who is going to put the table together and he says he's an airplane mechanic so it shouldn't be a problem. Wonder how good that table plays?

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No doubt table mechanic is a tough profession. Even the above average are scrutinized extensively because any errors are immediately recognizable, so be to considered good you have to be perfect for people like us who play the game. Your local rec table next to the fooseball table at the hotel can be installed by anyone but that’s not the case with a sweet GC. Diamonds are probably a little easier.

LocalArtist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is the deal, the guy (Bruce) said he was going to come back out and fix my table.... 6 months later... still nothing. So here ya go...

The company is Classic Home Billiards out of Charlotte NC.

Really wish he would have kept his word and fixed my table for the amount of money that I paid. I've now had at least 4 other people ask me who I reccomend to do table work and guess who I tell them to stay away from...

LocalArtist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did I mention that their guys got into an argument in the middle of the setup and one of the guys quit on the spot...He went out and sat in their truck for the next two hours while I tried to help them finish the job. They were at my place until 11:30 pm. showed up at 5pm on a saturday ... just a horrible experience.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Either this thread is a spoof on pool table mechanics. or those pro's
were sent from a 3rd world country that doesn't believe in using tools.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Did I mention that their guys got into an argument in the middle of the setup and one of the guys quit on the spot...He went out and sat in their truck for the next two hours while I tried to help them finish the job. They were at my place until 11:30 pm. showed up at 5pm on a saturday ... just a horrible experience.

I think showing up at 5-6 in the evening is their move. I’ve had that happen twice. They’re hoping that by 11 you’re ready for them to GTFO regardless of how level things are.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
No doubt table mechanic is a tough profession. Even the above average are scrutinized extensively because any errors are immediately recognizable, so be to considered good you have to be perfect for people like us who play the game. Your local rec table next to the fooseball table at the hotel can be installed by anyone but that’s not the case with a sweet GC. Diamonds are probably a little easier.

You give way to much credit to the customers, most wouldn't know the difference between a 5 ball and an orange, and know even less about their pool table.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Either this thread is a spoof on pool table mechanics. or those pro's
were sent from a 3rd world country that doesn't believe in using tools.

I have to laugh everytime I read someone giving their advice...."make sure you hire a Pro"...LOL What does that even mean, do Pros have a tattoo on their forehead saying, yep....I'm a Pro all right....LOL And the title "mechanic" gets me too, setting up a pool table is...."installer" level work, has nothing to do with being a pool table "mechanic"!

And here's a thought, if they can't do the install right the first time, because they just don't have the skill set to do so, why on earth would ANYONE think their skills improved before they come back out the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th time! Talk about wanting to ride a dead horse.....LOL I feel for this customer, but this kind of shit takes place every day of the week and twice on Sunday, from coast to coast....because the general consensus of this line of work....from all the people like like you people....is that its NOT rocket science, yet....here we are again!!

You people will never learn to ask the 'Pros"....do you have any pictures of your work, how about some of your customers from over 6 months ago, phone numbers? Can you post up some pictures of your work on AZB so the the experts we have here, who know more about pool tables than WE do, can take a look at your work and inform use customers of your level of expertise....thank you, I'll be waiting for your response!!!!!!