Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Expanding Interest In Pool
Page 2 of 4 12 34

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
mikemosconi
AzB Silver Member
mikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-12-2019, 12:48 PM

"Family" Friendly Billiard halls sprung up quite a bit after the Hustler Movie in the early 60s - the halls stood up for awhile - maybe until 67,68 - along with the large Brunswick and AMF bowling places( 40 lanes+) as a family friendly environment. The Color of Money in '86 mostly resulted in billiard halls that seemed to tilt much more towards the serious players, they were not really marketed as social gathering places- but there certainly were exceptions to that rule- such as Boston Billiards locations, Dave & Busters, etc. Well, Boston Billiards is mostly gone now, new D&Bs don't even have pool tables; so the INCENTIVE for people to INVEST in family friendly billiard establishments is missing - where did it go? THE INTERNET for one, and many other reasons too numerous to mention here. Can it be brought back again? Yes, probably so. what would it take? Much, much more interest by developers than what we currently are experiencing: case in point, WHERE is all the marketing around this game that SHOULD be in place since the 600+ run by JS? Is he booked for exhibitions in major cities by the two or three largest table MFGS.? Is his cue stick sponsor setting up appearances around the US to promote the game and their cues and shafts? Why was ALL of this NOT in place when the record breaking attempt was in progress, so that the achievement could be promoted IMMEDIATELY TO THE MASSES? Will this great accomplishment's marketing efforts be limited to one guy selling the DVD of his now record run? Seems to be no singular organization around billiards that can successfully organize the sport 's appeal to the masses- therefore, entrepreneurs; which this country has thousands with ready cash, are not seeing billiards as a good risk/reward scenario right now- so these rooms are not being opened. I would personally seriously consider opening a room if I felt that I even had a 70/30 chance of success ( those are actually very good odds for new business success) but I feel right now like there is no support from anywhere to assist in generating the interest levels need to bring out the masses to billiard establishments - ALL the people who manufacure, distribute, and sell billiard products need to get their COLLECTIVE acts together to get billiards back on national TV with tours that produce mass interest in the game- you just can't expect the small business guy to throw his/her money at such an unsupported item at this time.

Last edited by mikemosconi; 06-12-2019 at 12:59 PM.

Old
  (#17)
measureman
AzB Silver Member
measureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

06-12-2019, 12:50 PM

Women in their '60s taking up pool are on a man hunt.
Trust me on this.

Playing cue- The Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo
Back up cue - Troy Downey

"Russian Magic Chalk- good enough to steal".

Russian Magic chalk is the nuts.
Its so good my last and only cube was stolen off the table when I went to the bath room.
They left my $1000 cue but stole my chalk, how strong is that?

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help.
The above quote by Softshot

Old
  (#18)
Jimmy C-Note
AzB Silver Member
Jimmy C-Note has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy C-Note has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy C-Note has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy C-Note has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy C-Note has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy C-Note has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy C-Note has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy C-Note has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy C-Note has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy C-Note has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy C-Note has a reputation beyond repute

06-12-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by measureman View Post
Trust me on this.
My thought exactly!
Although they could just be practicing for league. (where they are probably on a man hunt also).

"No One Here Gets Out Alive"
---------Jim Morrison

Old
  (#19)
skip100
AzB Silver Member
skip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond repute

06-12-2019, 02:20 PM

Now that's the welcoming spirit.

Old
  (#20)
Maniac
2manyQ's
Maniac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-12-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
I've written before about the unusual customers I see here at Surge Billiards in Chicago - usually fathers teaching their young sons and daughters. This morning there are 7 players, and 5 of them are women in their 60s, learning/practicing on their own.

What do you suppose attracts these atypical new players to pool?

pj
chgo
Maybe not in this case, but I have heard/read that problem solving (crossword puzzles, computer games, and even pool) is good for brain function as one approaches their later years. That, and just the social aspects of it. It's inexpensive, relatively quiet, and you can sit and chatter over mixed drinks if you like. There are far worse places one could go to achieve that.

Maniac

Playing cues: 2 Larry Vigus 60" customs, Jacoby D11 w/314-2
Break/jump cues: Larry Vigus 60"dedicated break, Jerico Stinger, Jacoby jump cue
Cases: JB Ultimate Rugged 3x6, 2 Sterling Wave 4x8's, Sterling butterfly

"I try to think, but nothing happens!" Curly Howard

Old
  (#21)
Cuebuddy
Vege-table
Cuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond repute

06-12-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Whatever their reasons for wanting to play, here is where they're practicing today, and I never see that elsewhere.

pj
chgo
I was in Chicago a few weeks ago to help plan my Sons wedding next year. He and his Fiancée live a couple blocks from Surge. Of course I had to stop in and check the place out. I noticed the same thing as you stated Patrick, people who did not quite fit in to the "normal" pool hall scene playing and enjoying the rich rewards of colliding spheres. The table next to mine had a couple of elderly women playing 8 ball and two tables down was a mother teaching her two young children the game.

I took pics of this phenomena and thought I would start a thread similar to this one showing what I had seen. I later deleted the photos because it did not seem appropriate to post pics of folkd without their permission.

I did grab a couple of photos of the front sign and the matching badazz dart board!

Cool or no?
Attached Images

Cuebuddy

"I'm terrified every time you shoot"
Chisolm W

"14-1, 9 ball, 8 ball whats the difference....you put balls in holes."
Measureman

Old
  (#22)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

06-12-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuebuddy View Post
I was in Chicago a few weeks ago to help plan my Sons wedding next year. He and his Fiancée live a couple blocks from Surge. Of course I had to stop in and check the place out. I noticed the same thing as you stated Patrick, people who did not quite fit in to the "normal" pool hall scene playing and enjoying the rich rewards of colliding spheres. The table next to mine had a couple of elderly women playing 8 ball and two tables down was a mother teaching her two young children the game.

I took pics of this phenomena and thought I would start a thread similar to this one showing what I had seen. I later deleted the photos because it did not seem appropriate to post pics of folkd without their permission.

I did grab a couple of photos of the front sign and the matching badazz dart board!

Cool or no?
Yup. We Chicagoans are lucky to have beautiful new places like this and gritty old joints like Chris's to choose.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#23)
Cuebuddy
Vege-table
Cuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond repute

06-12-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Yup. We Chicagoans are lucky to have beautiful new places like this and gritty old joints like Chris's to choose.

pj
chgo
Chris's is also close and I will stop in there on my next visit. One of these days I will give you and a few others from Mud City a little notice and we can play a few

Cuebuddy

"I'm terrified every time you shoot"
Chisolm W

"14-1, 9 ball, 8 ball whats the difference....you put balls in holes."
Measureman

Old
  (#24)
336Robin
aimisthegameinpool.com
336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute

06-12-2019, 07:58 PM

I think you're seeing that if Pool is left to those that want to find accomplishment that passion gets back into it. Mix it with gambling and something happens
to it that makes impure for human consumption. Keep it clean and a whole new world for customer base becomes possible. That;s my opinion. You choose the demographic
you want to serve with your atmosphere, the treatment of the game itself and your business practices.

Quote:
I've written before about the unusual customers I see here at Surge Billiards in Chicago - usually fathers teaching their young sons and daughters. This morning there are 7 players, and 5 of them are women in their 60s, learning/practicing on their own.

What do you suppose attracts these atypical new players to pool? I think it's the atypical atmosphere - nicely decorated place without a lot of the high-testosterone customers and antics you'd see in a more typical pool hall. Not an action room by any stretch - but I think it does a lot more than those do for pool's expanding popularity.

Business has been great here since opening a year and a half ago - proving, I think, that there's unsatisfied demand for recreational pool in a nice, friendly, non-threatening setting.

pj
chgo

"Let your "Stick" do the talking!"

336Robin
"Improve your shot making forever for $5.99!"

The Target Ball Concept-Aiming,
The Flight of the Cue Ball-Aiming Adjusted for Side Spin,
Robbing the Bank Shot!-Pass Over Banking
Change your game for a couple of Bucks! and
Comes with a lesson!

Old
  (#25)
9 Ball Fan
Darth Maximus
9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute

06-12-2019, 08:20 PM

Cool story, about non-traditional groups enjoying pool. As Earl Strickland has said on video in the past, this is a great game. If they are on the hunt, well good for them! Ha!!!

Favorite Cues:
Meucci Pro Series
1990s Viking

Old
  (#26)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
06-13-2019, 06:22 AM

The ladies gots the hots for PJ.

Duh.

Sorry they weren't born post 1979, bud.

Old
  (#27)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

06-13-2019, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Chris's is also close and I will stop in there on my next visit. One of these days I will give you and a few others from Mud City a little notice and we can play a few
Sounds good!

pj
chgo

Old
  (#28)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day

06-13-2019, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Balled View Post
The ladies gots the hots for PJ.

Duh.

Sorry they weren't born post 1979, bud.
I don't remember what to do with those whippersnappers anyway...?

pj
chgo

Old
  (#29)
Sealegs50
AzB Silver Member
Sealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond repute

06-13-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by measureman View Post
Trust me on this.
I completely agree.

Parents taking their kids may be trying to interest them in activities that don't use a phone. I live in CT and gambling is not as taboo as it once was. As long as the language is not too raunchy and the place appears to be safe, the benefits may outweigh the risks from introducing them to this evil pastime.

Old
  (#30)
measureman
AzB Silver Member
measureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

06-13-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:

Cool or no?
Define "elderly" please.

Playing cue- The Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo
Back up cue - Troy Downey

"Russian Magic Chalk- good enough to steal".

Russian Magic chalk is the nuts.
Its so good my last and only cube was stolen off the table when I went to the bath room.
They left my $1000 cue but stole my chalk, how strong is that?

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help.
The above quote by Softshot

Page 2 of 4 12 34

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: