Reload this Page FDA food testing finds contamination by ‘forever chemicals’
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
FDA food testing finds contamination by ‘forever chemicals’
Old
  (#1)
Sev
I taut I saw a pussy cat!
Sev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Arrow FDA food testing finds contamination by ‘forever chemicals’ - 06-03-2019, 04:17 PM

Perhaps you should be more concerned about what you are consuming rather than the planetary temperature.
Chemical toxins will have a far greater, faster and more direct effect on humans as well as other species than the planets continually changing climate.

FDA food testing finds contamination by ‘forever chemicals’

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Food and Drug Administration’s first broad testing of food for a worrisome class of nonstick, stain-resistant industrial compounds found substantial levels in some grocery store meats and seafood and in off-the-shelf chocolate cake, according to unreleased findings FDA researchers presented at a scientific conference in Europe.

The FDA’s disclosure is likely to add to concerns raised by states and public health groups that President Donald Trump’s administration is not acting fast enough or firmly enough to start regulating the manmade compounds, called “forever chemicals.” A federal toxicology report last year cited consistent associations between very high levels of the industrial compounds in peoples’ blood and health risks but said there was not enough evidence to prove the compounds as the cause.

The levels in nearly half of the meat and fish tested were double or more the only currently existing federal advisory level for any kind of the widely used manmade compounds, which are called per- and polyfluoroalykyl substances, or PFAS.

The level in the chocolate cake was higher: more than 250 times the only federal guidelines, which are for some PFAS in drinking water.

Food and Drug Administration spokeswoman Tara Rabin said Monday that the agency thought the contamination was “not likely to be a human health concern,” even though the tests exceeded the sole existing federal PFAS recommendations, for drinking water.

As a handful of PFAS contaminations of food emerge around the country, authorities have deemed some a health concern but not others. The agency considers each discovery of the compound in food case by case, including the kind of food, levels of contamination, frequency of consumption and latest scientific information, Rabin said.

“Measuring PFAS concentrations in food, estimating dietary exposure and determining the associated health effects is an emerging area of science,” the FDA said.

PFAS, created by DuPont in 1938 and put into use for tough nonstick cookware, now exists in an estimated 5,000 varieties. Industries use the product to keep grease, water and stains off countless consumer items, including in food packaging, carpets and couches, dental floss and outdoor gear.

The chemicals also are found in firefighting foam, which the Department of Defense calls irreplaceable in suppressing jet-fuel fires. Especially around military bases and PFAS facilities, decades of use have built up levels in water, soil and some treated sewage sludge used to fertilize non-organic food crops and feed for livestock.

They’ve been a topic of congressional hearings, state legislation and intense federal and state scrutiny over the past two years.

The federal toxicology review last year concluded the compounds are more dangerous than previously thought, saying consistent studies of exposed people “suggest associations” with some kinds of cancers, liver problems, low birth weight and other issues.

Because the tough compounds are predicted to take thousands of years to degrade, and because older versions have been found to accumulate in peoples’ bodies, PFAS has acquired the name “forever chemicals.”

The Environmental Protection Agency earlier established a nonbinding health advisory threshold of 70 parts per trillion for two-phased out forms of the contaminant in drinking water.

Trump’s EPA said it would consider setting mandatory limits instead in the wake of the federal toxicology report and after federally mandated water sampling found high levels in many drinking water systems around the country. The administration has called dealing with PFAS contamination a “potential public relations nightmare” and a “national priority.”

Impatient for federal action, several states have moved to regulate the chemicals on their own, including setting standards for groundwater or drinking water.

In the FDA study, conducted in October 2017, researchers oversaw market basket testing for more than a dozen PFAS, drawing on samples of food on sale in three undisclosed mid-Atlantic cities.

FDA researchers discussed the results at the annual conference by the Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry in Helsinki, Finland, last week.

Two environmental groups, the Environmental Defense Fund and the Environmental Working Group, obtained written results and charts from the FDA presentation and provided them to The Associated Press.

PFOS, an older form of PFAS no longer made in the U.S., turned up at levels ranging from 134 parts per trillion to 865 parts per trillion in tilapia, chicken, turkey, beef, cod, salmon, shrimp, lamb, catfish and hot dogs. Prepared chocolate cake tested at 17,640 parts per trillion of a kind of PFAS called PFPeA.

The FDA presentation also included what appeared to be previously unreported findings of PFAS levels — one spiking over 1,000 parts per trillion — in leafy green vegetables grown within 10 miles (16 kilometers) of an unspecified eastern U.S. PFAS plant and sold at a farmer’s market.

It also previewed test levels for a previously reported instance of PFAS contamination of the food supply, in the feed and milk at a dairy near an Air Force base in New Mexico.

The FDA said the contamination in that milk was a health concern. It said it would release detailed data on that soon.

The FDA in 2015 and 2016 revoked approval for some older versions of PFAS in food packaging, although it was one of those versions that was found in high levels in its testing of meat and seafood.

In its statement, the FDA noted studies suggesting newer forms may also pose a health risk. It said it was working with other federal agencies to determine appropriate next steps.

“What this calls for is additional research to determine how widespread this contamination is and how high the levels are,” Linda Birnbaum, director of the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, said separately in an interview. “We have to look at total human exposure — not just what’s in the water or what’s in the food ... or not just dust. We need to look at the sum totals of what the exposures are.”

Birnbaum added, “Nobody is exposed to just one form of PFAS in isolation. You’re exposed to a whole mixture.”

It’s unclear what human health risks are posed by the presence of PFAS chemicals in foods, said Jamie DeWitt, a toxicologist at East Carolina University in Greenville, North Carolina, who studies PFAS compounds.

The discovery of PFAS contamination in wells and land around a Chemours Co. manufacturing plant near Fayetteville has made North Carolina one of the focuses of study for exposures.

“Drinking one glass of contaminated water is unlikely to be associated with health risks, as is eating one slice of contaminated chocolate cake,” DeWitt said. “Individually, each item is unlikely to be a huge problem, but collectively and over a lifetime, that may be a different story.”

Sally Brown, a University of Washington researcher who supports the use of treated sewage sludge by agriculture, said the FDA’s findings were “not a major concern.”

“If you are worried about this type of compound it makes sense to ban the cookware and the dental floss” treated with PFAS, Brown said.

Near Fayetteville, neighbors of the Chemours PFAS facility are making plans for a Fourth of July parade float dedicated to warning others just how widely PFAS was turning up in the area.

The float will feature men fishing in a contaminated pond and vegetables growing in a contaminated garden, said Michael Watters, who lives a mile (1.6 kilometers) from the plant. Watters said he has stopped consuming well water and vegetables from his own land.

Keep your head down and admire the shot.

COVFEFE!!

“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”---Martin Luther King, Jr.

I'm just a flea along for the ride... ---366Robin

Revelations of truth undermine a foundation of belief built on lies.---Sev

If our answers scare you, maybe you should stop asking frightening questions.---ChicagoRJ

Old
  (#2)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

06-03-2019, 04:25 PM

The burning question is whether the stuff has infiltrated the marijuana supply.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"
Member of the world famous Lock Society

Cases I made: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=258632

Old
  (#3)
Sev
Sev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond repute

06-03-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopdoc View Post
LOL.
I see what you did there.

If it is in the ground and something has roots.

Yes.

COVFEFE!!

“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”---Martin Luther King, Jr.

If our answers scare you, maybe you should stop asking frightening questions.---ChicagoRJ

Old
  (#4)
Sev

06-04-2019, 04:48 AM

I guess being poisoned on a daily basis is not as exciting as "Global Warming".

No hysterics. Just acceptance.

COVFEFE!!

Old
  (#5)
measureman
AzB Silver Member
measureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

06-04-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
I do wonder whats in the pot edibles I eat.
But about an hour or so after eating i dont care anymore.
I'm just looking for the chocolate cake.

Playing cue- The Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo
Back up cue - Troy Downey

I woke up.
Triangles tips and Masters chalk are good enough.

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help.
The above quote by Softshot

Old
  (#6)
Sev

06-04-2019, 08:27 AM

It is funny.
Scream about saving the environment yet remain silent when told about the contaminants they are being poisoned by on a daily basis.

I guess it is more sexy to believe you have a possibility of combating global warming.

COVFEFE!!

Old
  (#7)
Dan_B
AzB Silver Member
Dan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 455

06-04-2019, 09:24 AM

not a bad appetite suppressant here...
...there was a sigh of relief though
for maybe a moment - scanning the above news -
no mention of chocolate chocolate chip ice cream.

This story doesn't help looking out over all the flooded fields.
Wouldn't it be something if pot plants were the best crop to
rebalance the soil?
I'm wondering if the RedRiceYeast, a Chinese herb would help rid the body of this stuff.
It has impressed my doctor on my cholesterol triglyceride levels,
'says continue on, we'll check it in another 60 days'.

WhetherTeck is advertising big with fathers day, they're big on there resistant materials,
I thought they said there products are safe from any of these PFAS.

just rambling thoughts, watching crypto for a buy,
putting off things I should be doing today before the 4 days of DHMO begins.
I gotta get out of here..

Last edited by Dan_B; 06-04-2019 at 10:16 AM. Reason: I had to look :)

Old
  (#8)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

06-04-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev View Post
It is funny.
Scream about saving the environment yet remain silent when told about the contaminants they are being poisoned by on a daily basis.

I guess it is more sexy to believe you have a possibility of combating global warming.
It seems everybody has their favorite conspiracy.

For example, in the above case...many who criticize the FDA will ignore that this is reported by the FDA.

The reality is this may be totally benign, you have no idea, literally no idea. But you want to sell it as being poisoned on a daily basis because it serves your personal perspective.

Don't forget there is a lot of DHMO out there too.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"

Old
  (#9)
Sev

06-04-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
It seems everybody has their favorite conspiracy.

For example, in the above case...many who criticize the FDA will ignore that this is reported by the FDA.

The reality is this may be totally benign, you have no idea, literally no idea. But you want to sell it as being poisoned on a daily basis because it serves your personal perspective.

Don't forget there is a lot of DHMO out there too.

And many things out there placed into the environment and food chain are not benign either.

You have to consider the cumulative effect over time.

Unless of course you thing such things as Dioxin are over rated.

COVFEFE!!

Old
  (#10)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member

06-04-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
And many things out there placed into the environment and food chain are not benign either.

You have to consider the cumulative effect over time.

Unless of course you thing such things as Dioxin are over rated.
Of course. Many things "placed into the environment" are not benign. And many are.

We could always just go back to the stone age and avoid all these complications.

Quote:
Perhaps you should be more concerned about what you are consuming rather than the planetary temperature.
Chemical toxins will have a far greater, faster and more direct effect on humans as well as other species than the planets continually changing climate.
Interesting statement. But the reality is you don't know that the overall effect is or will be negative. You really can't. It just sounds good to you because it pairs well with the word "toxins" I suppose.

The same advancements that have produced all these environmental contaminants parallel and are indelibly tied to the advancements responsible for our increased longevity. Unless of course you think our increased longevity is due to organic foods, marijuana, honey, and alternative therapy. LOL!

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"

Old
  (#11)
Slide Rule
NPR Commies Garbage Skum
Slide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond repute

06-05-2019, 03:57 AM

Chemicals?

Oh my gosh.

We need to do something.

And fast.

Old
  (#12)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member

06-05-2019, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slide Rule View Post

Chemicals?

Oh my gosh.

We need to do something.

And fast.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"

Old
  (#13)
Sev

06-05-2019, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Of course. Many things "placed into the environment" are not benign. And many are.

We could always just go back to the stone age and avoid all these complications.

Interesting statement. But the reality is you don't know that the overall effect is or will be negative. You really can't. It just sounds good to you because it pairs well with the word "toxins" I suppose.

The same advancements that have produced all these environmental contaminants parallel and are indelibly tied to the advancements responsible for our increased longevity. Unless of course you think our increased longevity is due to organic foods, marijuana, honey, and alternative therapy. LOL!

Every manufactured medicine is also chemical toxin.
While they often do what they were developed to do. They also come with side effects. Which often leads to the prescribing of more medicine to manage them. Which produce more side effects.

Yet we still use these very same medicines every day to treat disease and know very well that these very same medicines have a probability of creating other conditions.

So yes. If you are continually ingesting man made industrial chemicals. I would lean on the side of being skeptical of them not having negative long term outcomes.

Just as it is not advisable to eat anything containing amygdalin found naturally in nature.
One should also exercise caution with ingesting anything man made over a period of time.

This of course does not include what we can not prevent from being absorbed through our skin and lungs on a daily basis.
Then there is the contamination of our food sources. Mercury and other chemicals in seafood. Plastic in seafood. All the antibiotics and other chemicals given to farm raised animals.
The chemicals withing the animals that they they have ingested along the way.

I am not saying that all chemicals are bad or even toxic. However it is far more common for things created to be toxic than not.

Humans have a long history of shitting upstream and polluting everything down stream.
After a while you can no longer move further up stream.

COVFEFE!!

Old
  (#14)
Sev

06-05-2019, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slide Rule View Post

Chemicals?

Oh my gosh.

We need to do something.

And fast.

Love Canal and other incidents such as that had outcomes most would not consider positive.

A side of dioxin with your salad perhaps?

COVFEFE!!

Old
  (#15)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member

06-05-2019, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Every manufactured medicine is also chemical toxin.
While they often do what they were developed to do. They also come with side effects. Which often leads to the prescribing of more medicine to manage them. Which produce more side effects.

Yet we still use these very same medicines every day to treat disease and know very well that these very same medicines have a probability of creating other conditions.

So yes. If you are continually ingesting man made industrial chemicals. I would lean on the side of being skeptical of them not having negative long term outcomes.

Just as it is not advisable to eat anything containing amygdalin found naturally in nature.
One should also exercise caution with ingesting anything man made over a period of time.

This of course does not include what we can not prevent from being absorbed through our skin and lungs on a daily basis.
Then there is the contamination of our food sources. Mercury and other chemicals in seafood. Plastic in seafood. All the antibiotics and other chemicals given to farm raised animals.
The chemicals withing the animals that they they have ingested along the way.

I am not saying that all chemicals are bad or even toxic. However it is far more common for things created to be toxic than not.

Humans have a long history of shitting upstream and polluting everything down stream.
After a while you can no longer move further up stream.

Man made?

Oh...so "natural" is much safer?

That is a very popular (and dangerous) notion.

How do you fall for that?

This is how we developed the notion of the village idiot. He's the one that would try the mysterious new berry we found.

What is a toxin? What is the toxic state? The toxic presentation?

These things have been incredibly twisted around and there is much misinformation in the popular lexicon.

You seem to be following that type of thinking.

38 year old toxic appearing female presents at clinic. What does that mean? How do you pursue it? Is it most likely "manufactured" toxin?

Does the human body normally and naturally make toxins? What are they? How are they produced? What are the reactions?

Surely the body does not make things like carbon monoxide...right?

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: