Poll - Cue buying question

How would the cuemakers's statement affect your decision to purchase a cue from them?

• N/A- I never purchase custom cues.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I definitely would order a custom cue from this cuemaker.

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • I am undecided and may or may not order a custom cue from this cuemaker.

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • I definitely would not order a custom cue from this cuemaker.

Votes: 23 63.9%

• Total voters

our_auctionguy

The Wall.....
Silver Member
If a cuemaker stated the following:

There is no resale market for my cues because they are "tools" uniquely balanced and built to various lengths to accommodate the particular players physical attributes.... and are NOT intended for resale on the secondary market due to the cue's obvious "custom alterations and construction".

================================================

The question I ask is :

Leaving other factors such as cost, delivery time, and quality out of your decision by considering them not to be issues, how would the marketing statement above affect your decision to purchase a custom cue from this cuemaker ?

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
most custom cues

Many if not most of the custom cues on the resale market were custom built for someone. If the cue is between 58 and 60" long and between the weight of seventeen and twenty-one ounces with a balance point between 17" and 21" from the butt I would consider the claim pure marketing hype. If the cue is truly oddball I would believe them about no resale value although slightly longer and shorter lengths and moderately lighter and heavier weights can find a market.

Cues conform to a general shape, size, and weight for a reason. It isn't really because every pool player and every cue maker before this was too stupid to know better. Unless someone is truly well outside the normal range of human body types a custom cue built for them should suit many others also.

Hu

our_auctionguy said:

There is no resale market for my cues because they are "tools" uniquely balanced and built to various lengths to accommodate the particular players physical attributes.... and are NOT intended for resale on the secondary market due to the cue's obvious "custom alterations and construction".

The question I ask is :

Leaving other factors such as cost, delivery time, and quality out of your decision by considering them not to be issues, how would the marketing statement above affect your decision to purchase a custom cue from this cuemaker ?

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess I'm willling to interpret this question another way: assume there's a cue out there that is perfect for you in every way, but for whatever reason would have little to no resale value. Would you still buy it?

My answer to that would be definitely, assuming I can afford it. I'm a pool player. I love playing pool, and would love to be able to play pool with a cue that is imho perfect. I've been through a few cues, some I like a lot, others not so much, but have yet to find the perfect cue. If I were to find one, I wouldn't want to sell it anyways.

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
I find that statement a little ridiculous, which, in turn makes me question the cue maker him/herself. Most players don't customize their cue beside weight, length, and tip size. These customizations are hardly ever so drastic that the cue is unusable to anyone else....

JimL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I voted "I definitely would not order a custom cue from this cuemaker" but I have to admit that my opinion of a particular "cue maker" may have an impact on my vote.
I have to wonder though, since the cue is worthless in the secondary market by the makers own opinion, if after playing with the cue I decided it wasn't the proper tool for me, am I afforded a full refund?

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
I definitely wouldn't order from someone like that. Sounds like a pompous ass to me. Any cue maker worth his salt makes the cue to the specs that you give them. Why is this person any better? Does he fly you in and take measurements? Is the cue so exactly built to fit you that no other person could possibly use it? Jesus. He's either extremely arrogant or he already knows his cues aren't worth dog shite on the secondary market.
MULLY

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
branpureza said:
I find that statement a little ridiculous, which, in turn makes me question the cue maker him/herself. Most players don't customize their cue beside weight, length, and tip size. These customizations are hardly ever so drastic that the cue is unusable to anyone else....

I totally agree, however, I find the entire thread ridiculous. Maybe I am dense, however, I do not stand what the started of this threads motivation is. Generally when you start a poll there is a clear motive for doing so, I wish some one could explain what this thread and poll are all about.:confused:

Thanks craig

cuejoey

25 mm chain guns matter
Silver Member
our_auctionguy said:

The question I ask is :

It is hard to believe a person in business would say such a thing about his work...BUT i know it happens..