My own crazy aiming method developed in my basement

Toxictom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I sometimes use a method I have come up with on my own and would like some knowledgeable opinions on. I never talked with anyone about it and don't even know if I can explain it.

I sometimes apply english to the cue ball by using the value of the diamond position. Say I have a ball that is 1.3 diamonds away from the pocket. I've found if I use corresponding english of 1.3 tips towards the pocket it takes the ball to that pocket nicely on a cut shot. This seems to work best when the balls are in a relatively straight line. If I'm trying to bank the ball side to side I'll use 1.3 tips away from the pocket for full table shots I divide that by two and use 0.65 tips of english. It seems to work pretty good most of the time.

Does this make sense? Is this just in my head? Is this something I should have been aware of all along? Do others use or teach this method?

Hope I don't get beat up too bad on this.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I sometimes use a method I have come up with on my own and would like some knowledgeable opinions on. I never talked with anyone about it and don't even know if I can explain it.

I sometimes apply english to the cue ball by using the value of the diamond position. Say I have a ball that is 1.3 diamonds away from the pocket. I've found if I use corresponding english of 1.3 tips towards the pocket it takes the ball to that pocket nicely on a cut shot. This seems to work best when the balls are in a relatively straight line. If I'm trying to bank the ball side to side I'll use 1.3 tips away from the pocket for full table shots I divide that by two and use 0.65 tips of english. It seems to work pretty good most of the time.

Does this make sense? Is this just in my head? Is this something I should have been aware of all along? Do others use or teach this method?

Honestly, I don't think there is much here. It just sounds a bit too fluky. But I do respect your enthusiasm, your experimental spirit, quest for discovery. You just might stumble onto something that changes your game.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have a friend that does something similar. I had to beg him to stop trying to teach it to me! Lol! It works well for him and he’s a good player so if it helps you, go for it. I think it’s probably coincidental for some angles given you particular shaft characteristics. I have found a few systems like that. Then I try them with another cue and they don’t work so well.