Favorite score sheet?

jondrums

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been playing straight pool in a joint that doesn't have scoring beads, and we've had to use pen and paper for scoring. It seems to work ok, but I really miss the ease of marking balls made on the current rack separately on the beads, and then pushing them in at the end of the rack. I like that at the end of every rack, you can see how each player did that rack.

So anyway, can anyone recomend a good paper based scoring sheet? I've tried the one at playpool.com, but it has no good way to keep track of rack transitions. So that when you go to mark up your score, it makes it hard to know exactly how many balls had been made before your inning started. This is especially problematic when fouls are involved.

If nobody recomends one, I'm going to have to make one myself and post it for everyone else to use.
Jon
ps. has anyone ever seen portable scoring beads for straight pool?

EDRJR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm moving soon.

My scorer is packed up otherwise I'd post a picture. I tried to find it online for you but no luck. I have two table rotary scorers built into a small wood box. They offered it in Cherry or Oak finish and it is very well made. If you have woodworking skills or a friend that does, you can just buy a couple of scorers (here's one supplier:http://www.mbsgroup.net/Billiard_Accessory_Page_19.htm; bottom of page) and make a box. Mine comes in very handy very often. Some tables that have the scorers built in aren't usable due to looseness or fogged plastic coverings.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
jondrums said:
I've been playing straight pool in a joint that doesn't have scoring beads, and we've had to use pen and paper for scoring. ...
ps. has anyone ever seen portable scoring beads for straight pool?
If the table has scorewheels like on GCs and others, you can use the inner wheels for the rack score and the outer wheels for the total score (only changed at the end of the rack.)

I have seen compact abacus-like scorers that could probably be used for straight pool. Mostly antiques. The usual European scorer for carom has a disk for units and a disk for tens. The two disks sit behind a thin board that has windows cut in it. An axle on each disk sticks out the front of the board so you can turn the disk to make a different number appear in the window. Kind of like an odometer, but the disks are flat, not cylindrical. Add as many disk pairs as you need for any particular game.

The European style of paper scoring seems to have you write down the number of balls left on the table, the score you made, and your total score for each turn at the table.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
EDRJR said:
My scorer is packed up otherwise I'd post a picture. I tried to find it online for you but no luck. I have two table rotary scorers built into a small wood box. They offered it in Cherry or Oak finish and it is very well made. If you have woodworking skills or a friend that does, you can just buy a couple of scorers (here's one supplier:http://www.mbsgroup.net/Billiard_Accessory_Page_19.htm; bottom of page) and make a box. Mine comes in very handy very often. Some tables that have the scorers built in aren't usable due to looseness or fogged plastic coverings.
That appears to be the style of score wheels the GCs have. It's best to have four scorers so you can also do rack scores as mentioned above. Warning: many of these on commercial tables are broken, so I'm assuming durability is an issue.

shag_fu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I saw a good one in the back off Phil C's book that had a way to track runs as well.

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My daughter makes custom jewelry from beads and other materials for people. I would bet that there is someone in your area who also does bead work. Ask some of the younger women (15-35 or so) and they probably know someone who makes this kind of jewelry.

It would not be difficult nor would it be expensive, to make a small box with a few sets of strings. I think the bottom set could have 14 beads on each side for the current rack. The next strings up would have 25 – 50 beads on a side and could be used for the total score. The thing could be manipulated with a pencil.

I have no idea what the thing would cost but I’ll ask her and post a photo if she makes one.