straight pool leagues

Tommy Tube Sock

the last place you look
Silver Member
My local PH does APA 8 and 9 ball plus a weekly tourny. I've thought about suggesting an in house straight pool league to the owner. We have a few players who know the game and could probably get some converts.

I wonder how other SP leagues are formated. How many people on a team? How do you handicap the races? How do you set and allocate dues - so much to the house and so much to a prize fund. Any input appreciated.

pool

Poolplayer
Silver Member
Search the past threads. There are a couple where Bob Jewitt gave information to me on a similar topic. Unfortunately, I didn't get any popular support from the pool room where I tried to launch the league. This summer I have a place lined up that has some regular 14.1 players, though, so I am hopeful that things will get off the ground.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Tommy Tube Sock said:
My local PH does APA 8 and 9 ball plus a weekly tourny. I've thought about suggesting an in house straight pool league to the owner. We have a few players who know the game and could probably get some converts.

I wonder how other SP leagues are formated. How many people on a team? How do you handicap the races? How do you set and allocate dues - so much to the house and so much to a prize fund. Any input appreciated.

check out this thread: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=38514

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member
It brings up an interesting question. Anyone ever play in a team 14.1 league? I've never heard of one, but in my experience, team leagues are much more fun than individual ones. Wonder if someone could pull it off?

TIMBER1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played a 14:1 league in Denver at shakespears. It was fun for a couple weeks but then just became boaring. However they have been doing it for years.

mthornto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tommy Tube Sock said:

I run a Straight Pool league in Columbus, Ohio. We don't have teams, it is all individual. Each player has one match per week, round robin. Matches are to handicapped to 100. Out handicapping system is very similar to what Bob is doing.

If you would like more info, PM me.

olsonsview

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play in two different straight pool leagues

We play weekly, with handicaps up to 100. Interestingly both leagues add a match of nine ball as well. So each player plays a handicapped match in straight pool, and a handicapped match in nine ball each time he plays. The good part is that it demands two different styles of play and gives everyone something. The bad thing is the different style of play as well! You have to learn to change gears and style. I know some of the people I play with read this, so it might be nice to hear from them . Many of them are excellent players that have added to my knowledge and skill by following their example. We are in the Cleveland Ohio area, northeast suburbs. Most of them will not recognize the name here, I am known to most as the player that is also a cuemaker.