Different tips for different tables

fish2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would it be advisable to use a soft tip for a faster table and a medium tip for slower tables? I asked as I was playing on a fast table earlier using a soft tip (Kamui SS) and then moved to a slower table and all my CB preparation was short, so moving to a medium tip would help fix the preparation without changing my stroke ? Does this sound like a good idea, I already have the tip (Kamui S II) in stock and an extra shaft that I can use

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
usually changing tips for that reason is not a standard practice
i am not an instructor

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Would it be advisable to use a soft tip for a faster table and a medium tip for slower tables? I asked as I was playing on a fast table earlier using a soft tip (Kamui SS) and then moved to a slower table and all my CB preparation was short, so moving to a medium tip would help fix the preparation without changing my stroke ? Does this sound like a good idea, I already have the tip (Kamui S II) in stock and an extra shaft that I can use
You seem to be saying that a soft tip plays "deader" than a hard tip. Is that true for Kamuis?

I don't think it's going to make any difference, but if you do try the experiment, please set up a test for each cue. Something like:

Put an object ball a few inches out from a side pocket. Place the cue ball for a nearly straight-in shot. Try to draw the cue ball back and freeze it on the other side rail not far from the other side pocket. Shoot 10 shots (or 100:smile:) and record your distance errors.

Please let us know how it goes.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
You seem to be saying that a soft tip plays "deader" than a hard tip. Is that true for Kamuis?
I (wrongly?) thought that softer tips "cushion" the impact more, resulting in less energy transmitted to the CB...?

pj <- maybe longer contact time erases the difference?
chgo

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a good idea. You're better off relying on your own ability to adapt to changing conditions because conditions change all the time. Haven't you ever played in local tournaments where the cue balls are often replaced and don't match the sets on certain tables? That's just one example. Learn how to trust yourself and your ability to adapt and you'll become a better player. There's no better feeling in the world than knowing you can step up to any type of table and have the confidence that you'll be able to figure it out. Choose a tip that suits your playing style the most and stick with it.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I (wrongly?) thought that softer tips "cushion" the impact more, resulting in less energy transmitted to the CB...?

pj <- maybe longer contact time erases the difference?
chgo
That's the trend but it's not guaranteed. Superballs are fairly soft.