Johnny Archer vs SVB- Subjective Question

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gotta chuckle about Johnny being weak kicking. He came into a small place he had never seen before. Won the coin flip. Bar box eight ball. He calls the eight ball in the corner on the break. Done. He called it in the side on the break. Done. He calls it in the side on the break. Done. Everybody in the place was telling me to quit by then. "I'll see that one more time!" The eight ball had been slow rolling in the side and this time it stopped in the jaws, and there ain't much jaw in the sides of those old Valleys!

I got a little of my own back that game and the next few. Funny thing, this was late eighties, maybe early nineties, I had never heard of Johnny Archer. I decided I had better let him shoot, didn't want to lose him when I was in the black now. I froze the cue ball to my ball and between it and the foot rail about an inch off the rail. All of his balls plus about three or four of mine were still on the table so he had about ten balls worth of traffic on that bar table to deal with.

He was going to have to kick into the foot rail with side spin to even hit one of his balls with a two rail kick. Even hitting his ball wasn't going to help, I had my balls blocking the two pockets his balls were near. As he waved his stick around studying the shot though it was obvious he was going for the fifteen ball, almost frozen on the head rail and about a diamond out from the pocket. A shot so ridiculous I hadn't even considered it. It was obvious Johnny was!

The shot was a Z bank, eight rails, hitting every rail on the table at least once, two of them twice. Johnny fired, the cue ball rolled clean through all of that traffic and hit the fifteen. It had ran out of steam and the fifteen stopped in the jaws of the corner pocket he was trying to put it in.

Even without the fifteen ball falling that remains the most impressive shot I have personally seen in fifty years of playing pool. I tried it for several hours over the next two weeks, first with the balls as I remembered them, then just using my blocking ball, the cue ball, and the fifteen. Trying the shot dozens of times with an empty table I never managed to even hit the fifteen.

Johnny at his best, Shane at his best, if they played eleven times, one would probably win five times and the other one six. It would be purely a given day thing. My bet is kicking isn't where anyone would find Johnny at his best deficient!

Hu

Yeah i agree hu,and i also think johnny broke the 9 ball rack about as good as anybody in the 90,s( everybody knows shane is a great breaker,but PLEASE do not think johnny was weak,lol. He absolutely outbroke efren and earl by a A WIDE MARGIN.... and don,t ever ask who was better between EFREN and shane,because,imo, efren is the best that has ever screwed a cue together! And i don,t really think its that close either.

Charlie Hustle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane is the most dominant rotation player in history, gambling or tournament. He is still going, he's not done. Johnny is a great player, a hall of fame champion, but Shane is in a class by himself.

The real match of the century is available to us now and should be played, Filler versus Shane, long race.

Couldn't agree more, Tate! I'd love to see SVB vs Filler, 10 ball, race to 100-120 for at least 50k.

Charlie Hustle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TAR 26 -- May 25-27, 2012 in the TAR studio, Las Vegas

10-Ball, best 2 out of 3 races to 25 -- won by Archer

Diamond 9-foot table with 4 1/8" corner pockets, Magic Rack, rack your own, winner breaks

Day 1 -- Archer 25 - SVB 22
Day 2 -- Archer 16 - SVB 25
Day 3 -- Archer 25 - SVB 19

Total -- 66 - 66

Edit -- Ages: Archer 43, SVB 28

Can't believe I don't remember this match. Sounds like it was as close as a match can possibly get.

Craig

Custom Cue-Repair
Silver Member
Johnny Archers break was so huge no one had to like playing him, that's why he won so much. At one point in the 90's at any tournament Johnny was taking 1st and everyone else was playing for 2nd place. His break was so BIG he could win the lag and run the set out on you in less than a hour.

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With being quarantined through all the coronavirus stuff, I have been watching a ton of old videos on youtube.

Question for everyone.......in your personal opinion, when they were at the top of their game, each possessed the maximum mental drive to be the best, factoring in their breaks, safety play, shot making, nerves, mindset to overcome tough situations and sharking and any other factor that comes into play, who was better at 9 ball each of these two settings......gambling and tournament play........SVB or Archer?

Personally, there is something about Johnny Archer's game at his peak that makes me think Archer may have him beat in both categories by the slightest of margins. Again, this is a subjective opinion and I wanted to see other people's opinions.
I,m with you,they both play near perfect 9 ball...but in his prime,i just think johnny would have grinded shane down...i know the new crowd won,t believe that,but i do...and I LOVE SHANE VAN BOENING

poolpimp13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve always been a Johnny fan, but you have to remember back in his prime you got to rack for each other and Johnny was the best professional racker of all time. Even with larger pockets back then Johnny racked so good the other player would brake dry so often. So I think Johnny would get beat consistently against the young guns of today playing on tighter equipment.
Shane is the only American player that would have a chance against Johnny in his prime no other American player from today would have a chance. Johnny in his prime on a tight table for the cash was the best 9 ball player.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I saw them both play in their primes and imo it's a toss up. Johnny was the dominant player in the 90's, when Earl was in his prime and Buddy, Varner, Davenport, Hopkins and Rempe were still playing great. That is saying a lot! Sigel had retired in the early 90's. Johnny was named the Player of the Decade by Billiards Digest for good reason.

If I had to bet though, I would have to bet on Shane. His break and jumping ability would give him an edge. Again, just my opinion though.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
animatedvmaker...That's not true. There have been jump cues of some kind for 40 years!

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Also remember, there were no jump cues back in those years, if that makes a difference.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I'm only giving Shane the narrowest of edge over Johnny. Even then, on any given day the top 5 or 6 from either era could beat any one of their opponents.

Maniac

Anybody that thinks one of these players is going to steamroll over the other one has certainly not put enough thought into it. It's just not going to happen like that.

"On any given day" is the key phrase here.

Anyone that actually believes that either Johnny or Shane is going to consistently beat the other one is just fooling themselves.

Maniac

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
You think Buddy, Earl and Efren wouldn't be just as good now? No way. Overall fields i'd kinda agree but the best back then would have been at the top now as well.

I watched a few of Efrens old matches and was surprised at some of the relatively common shots they missed. Overall I think todays crop of top players is much better than those of a couple of decades ago.

Pedestrian

Registered
Going back far enough and I do, in his prime, none of the guys would beat Luther 'Wimpy' Lassiter. He won 6 world 9 ball titles, 5 14.1 world titles and numerous 1 pocket titles often double banking balls, something I never see any do now. How about Harold Worst ? An adult prodigy under Willie Hoppe didn't start until his 20s and won everything from 3 cushion to snooker to 9 ball and straight pool and all 3 of today's popular games including 1 pocket in a round robin against the great pros before it was the Derby City classic, in the 3 years during which from the age of 35 to 38 suffering from and finally succumbing to brain cancer. 51 world titles in 15 years One night went in to a pool hall as an unknown and playing 9 ball for $1,000 a set beat Jimmy Moore 11-6 and Luther Lassiter 11-9 and again hill hill for $2,000 more. Some of the old masters in a ring game where all early money balls were spotted, players were busted before the first runout.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
a lot longer

animatedvmaker...That's not true. There have been jump cues of some kind for 40 years!

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

If you consider jump rods jump cues of some kind they date back a lot longer. I first saw a jump rod in the late sixties or early seventies. No idea when they originated, but that makes them at least fifty years old and I suspect they date back still further. Never tried a jump rod myself but the people that had them could use them. Of course they weren't trying them on real hard shots, more simple shots that would be nothing without the ball(s) in the way.

I wonder if we started a thread how far back people would remember somebody using a jump rod or jumping with a shaft?

Hu