200+ ball runs, a recent embarrassment of riches

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The conditions have something to do with it as Diamond supplies the tables with new cloth at the start of the event and we clean the tables 5 or 6 times a day.

I think this is something that is overlooked. I'm not talking about the faster cloths today vs yesterday, I'm talking about having a NEW fast cloth. I find that it is a heck of a lot easier to run balls on a brand new cloth than it is on the same cloth 6 months later. My understanding is that the new cloths have some kind of slick coating on them from manufacture that wears off. You ever notice how a ball rebounds on new cloth? The ball will keep its original spin going into the rail for several inches after it rebounds. When the cloth wears in a little, that spin changes right at contact with the rail. Not sure I said that in a clear way, but you know what I mean if you've played on new, fast cloth.

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
At National and European Championships, Straight Pool is always the first discipline to be played after the tables have been set up for the event, and it's frankly a marvel how the balls spread on controlled medium-speed break shots - "picnic tables" (aka roadmaps) as one of my teammates once observed one time he went deep in the tournament despite referring to himself as a 14.1 ignorant.

What you're saying about the rails is true, even if I do not remember this aspect as as much of an advantage playing Straight Pool - never easy to judge inside English coming (nor force follow for that matter) off a rail on new cloth!

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Last edited:

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
The conditions have something to do with it as Diamond supplies the tables.

Bill

I believe this encapsulates it nicely. Wheel in a Gold Crown with the same pocket openings & I don't think you see as many. Diamonds are just an easier table to play on & I don't think that's a good thing. JMO/YMMV.

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
I believe this encapsulates it nicely. Wheel in a Gold Crown with the same pocket openings & I don't think you see as many. Diamonds are just an easier table to play on & I don't think that's a good thing. JMO/YMMV.

That's an interesting point that's hardly ever been made - usually, people tend to agree the Diamonds are tougher to play on. I'm sometimes wondering why, although it's a few years back since I last played on a Diamond (there appear to be none in this country). The old "V"-shaped cut of earlier Brunswick models made the corner pockets much tougher to play on than the "measurable" pocket opening (which is all everyone is ever talking about) would seem to suggest, especially of course the type of shot along the rail that on modern tables, with new cloth, can be missed by a foot and is still going in (the reason Snooker aficionados laugh at pool players). I've played on e.g. Dynamic pool tables at European Championships whose pockets were almost an inch smaller at the opening, yet easier to pocket balls into - only the side pockets were tougher than on a old Brunswick, and not because they're smaller, but because they would spit balls out a higher speeds even on a perfect hit (now that is what I would call a problem!). Bottom line: the cut is as important as the opening!

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Last edited:

Cleveland Kid

Registered
Too bad more straight pool tourneys aren't more accessible and affordable. I'm a long time straight pool guy from CLV and it's expensive to get to NY etc to try and compete in these tourneys. I have had several 100 + runs although I haven't played daily over the years as I work full time and raised a family and all that. I wish I could play against strong straight pool players to improve my game and play more often. Would be fun to be able to enter one of these 14.1 sometime.

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positively Ralf
My father, who is a huge 14.1 fan opines that the reason we are seeing such high runs is due to the faster cloth. Even though he admits the top players back in his day who played on slower cloth were able to run run 100s on any given night, it was rare to see them run 150+. so maybe the cloth does have something to do with it.

I think your father is definitely correct, faster cloth and polished balls helps open the balls up. I've played on slow cloth a lot and the stack just doesn't open as nicely as it does on perfect conditions. I've also played on faster cloth with polished balls and I can see how an accurate stroke, a good angle and a bit of luck will spread everything nicely without having to really know the proper way to play the break-shots. Of course, knowledge mixed with good playing conditions are huge assets.

To be fair to the players of yesteryear though, the high run challenges offers far more opportunities for competitive high runs than traditional tournaments.

I would agree cloth is faster balls are better but we also have to take into account that pockets are tougher in the modern era. Both pocket angles and shelf depth are tougher now than in the 50s-80s. Those events back in the days were played with pockets in the 4 3/4 -5 inch range Mosconis big run was on a 8ft table with 5+ inch pockets. The tables at the DCC openings are all under 4.5 inches.

Note: A few yrs back the DCC event was played on 10' Diamonds only 1 player got the 100 ball run or more, Stuart Pettman.

Players form the old days would have liked the new conditions and they would probably have played a different style while running balls.

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Too bad more straight pool tourneys aren't more accessible and affordable. I'm a long time straight pool guy from CLV and it's expensive to get to NY etc to try and compete in these tourneys. I have had several 100 + runs although I haven't played daily over the years as I work full time and raised a family and all that. I wish I could play against strong straight pool players to improve my game and play more often. Would be fun to be able to enter one of these 14.1 sometime.

Oh man, I hear you! You're probably (at least in terms of traveling distance) closer to the action than (coughing slightly) some of us… :rolleyes:

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Players form the old days would have liked the new conditions and they would probably have played a different style while running balls.

My guess is, they would have preserved all their knowledge in terms of looking for insurance ball scenario, cleaning paths for balls to go versus unnecessarily and/or prematurely going into the balls, recognition of possible pitfalls (e.g. freak side pocket scratches) etc. - in short, they'd have used all their knowledge PLUS enjoyed the fact that breaking the balls has become so much easier that with with their intimate knowledge of the game, they could have executed even greater control than even they were used to. Makes me wonder how many balls the top players for whom Straight Pool was their "daily bread" would run on modern equipment, so much so, they might make a seeming mockery of the game…