scoring 14:1

smoooothstroke

JerLaw
Silver Member
Anyone have an easy method for keeping score?When there is not a long string available and the dials on the GC wont turn easily its a pain to keep score.Tonight i played with a buddy of mine and we used a laptop with a spreadsheet he created,this works ok but not ideal.

Also does anyone play 14:1 with ball in hand for fouls?I know its not in the rules but its an interesting idea.

joris

Hi, everyone, I'm new to this board, but thought I'd give it a go:
If you got a scoreboard use it to add on the 14 balls you rack after each breakshot, and, after a miss, subtract the number of balls still on the table; this should give you the number of balls you made in your run.

powerlineman80

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We use a dry eraseboard. Me and my brother put his on his wall so we dont have to even sit down and just mark as they make balls. Its a cheap, easy way to keep score IMO.

And no, we dont play ball in hand fouls.

joris

smoooothstroke said:
what sort of scoreboard?
One like this:
images.jpg

Use the bottom one for ballcount

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
Ok, here is the type of score sheet we use here in Japan. It may sound complicated at first but it's really extremely simple to use. See photo with explanation below it.

141sa6.jpg

Ok, Jim breaks (B) and fouls so we write -2 in his bottom box. The bottom box is the total score and the top box is number of balls made. Both players have one top and one bottom box.

Dave shoots and makes 8 balls so we put 8 in his top block for how many balls he made, 8 in his bottom block for his total number of balls and then we write -8 underneath to show that there are 8 balls missing from the table.

Jim gets up and makes 5 balls so we write 5 in his top block to show that he made 5 balls and then 3 in his bottom block to show his total score (-2 + 5 = 3). Then underneath we write -13 to show that 13 balls are off the table. Also, you'll notice that it was -8 and then -13 which shows that 5 more balls had been taken off the table.

Dave gets up and makes the last ball so underneath we write +14 to show that 14 balls are being added to the table. Dave breaks and then runs 7 balls. Counting the 1 ball from the previous rack plus the 7 he just ran we write 8 in his top box to show the number of balls he ran and then 16 in his bottom box to show his total score.

Jim runs out the remaining 7 balls so we put +14 again to show that 14 balls are added to the table. Then, Jim breaks and misses the break ball so we put an X next to it to show that the run was stopped there. Jim gets 7 more balls in his top box, add that to the 3 from the previous frame and you have 10.

Dave hops up and misses so we put a line to show that he made nothing.

Jim gets up and runs 2 full racks and after each rack we write +14 to show that 14 balls were added to the table again. As you can see we have +14 twice, that shows that Jim ran 2 racks then there is an X to show that he missed the break ball and his run stopped there. Put 28 in his top box and add that to the bottom of the previous frame for a total of 38.

And so on and so forth. I know it sounds difficult but it's really pretty elementary and if you saw it done once you'd be like "Ahh, I gotcha!"

The important thing though is to keep track of those minus balls below the graph. That number plus the balls on the table will always add up to 15. So, if there are 3 balls on the table the number under the score table would be -12. The minus signifies that 12 balls are off the table.

I have this in MS Word format if anyone would like a copy drop me a PM with your e-mail addy and I can send it on to you.
MULLY

OneArmed

the agony of billiards...
Silver Member
I use a similar paper scoring method in my 14.1 league, but can be used on any scrap of paper. It is very simple to use, and I have a small 3" by 5" sprial notebook I keep in my case for this purpose.

Basically, we have three columns for each player.

scoresheet.jpg

text from the scoresheet to go along with the example:

You can use this chart to keep score if there are no beads or counters available. Just record how many balls after you finish shooting. Easiest way to keep score mid-rack in 14.1 is to add up the balls left in play on the table (including any that have been spotted), add how many balls have been already scored by both players in this rack (can track using beads by separating each rack, or on counters using one side for running total and other side for rack total) and subtract from 15. You keep a running total of the score in the score column. If you run out of room, just use the backside. A ?plus? sign can be used to indicate the end of the rack to better record high runs that span beyond one rack. Use a ?0? if you miss the break shot to indicate the end of the run. In the below example Player 1?s high run would be 12, while Player 2?s is 6.

BradE

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wrote a simple program to keep score. Then one day I got bored and added statistics to it, it shows highest run, lowest run and average run. I need to finish it up. It does a great job keeping score. I just keep it up on my laptop.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
smoooothstroke said:
Also does anyone play 14:1 with ball in hand for fouls?I know its not in the rules but its an interesting idea.

I can't help myself for asking, but why in the world would you want to do that? It's one of the most strategic parts of the game.

I think it would be a travesty to reduce the intricacy and depth 14.1 offers.:crying: :shrug:

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3andstop said:
I can't help myself for asking, but why in the world would you want to do that? It's one of the most strategic parts of the game.

I think it would be a travesty to reduce the intricacy and depth 14.1 offers.:crying: :shrug:

I agree. It reminds me of the wacky 7-ball rules they tried in some TV tournaments where a missed shot gives ball in hand to the opponent. Run out or else - it removed all safety play from the game.

Why take away strategies from good games??

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
3andstop said:

I'm with you 110% on this but I gotta say, for lower level players BIH may not be a bad idea in the beginning so it gives them a chance to start picking out patterns. I agree that safety play and intentional fouls need to be learned but in the beginning I think patterns take precedent. I surely wouldn't want BIH rules for official play.
MULLY

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Mully, in this case I have to respectfully disagree. I learned straight pool with the rules as they are and I'm sure beginners to the game will be ok doing it too.

It's the very mistakes that are made by incorrect safetys that are the teachers.

I think the safety play should be viewed as integral to the game as a whole and not as a module that can be replaced at a later date. JMHO. :)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For those old-fashioned people who don't like those smarty-phone things but do like paper, here is the Playpool.com scoresheet mentioned above. That site no longer exists but archive.org has all its versions and files. Here is the PDF for the legal-sized sheet:

View attachment straightscoresht.pdf

There was an Excel file that is related but the download I got was broken.

Here is what the upper-left of the page looks like:

CropperCapture[310].png

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ball in hand? Lets not turn straight pool into 9 ball.
The rules are sacred

Last edited: