When I left they had a memo that said:
total: $298,500
1st place - $75,000
2nd place - $37,500
3-4 places - $22,500
5-8 places - $11,250
9-16 places - $7,500
17-24 places - $4,500

If they actually pay all that, it isn't too bad. I guess we'll find out soon.

Kimmo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what a nice event! Nice meeting you there Markus as well....you are one helluva cameraman!

Sure there were things that could be improved on....but overall I was very impressed...

The cloths were super-fast...sometimes it was like looking at pool being played on ice....all you had to do is to look at the general direction of the ball and it started moving already...
the pockets were cut also in a bit weird way rattling the balls quite easily...

Anyhow.....nice to see also easy access for the public to the practise-tables allowing people to see their favourite players up close!

It was a little weird to have a break in the play in the middle of a match on the final day.... we were watching there Boyes play against van Corteza.....Boyes just narrowed it down to 7-6 (race to 8) and suddenly a break is called...do not see any logic in that one!

In the arena it was quite nice to see all the tables....i think the scoreboard was too small print...no hope of reading it from further away...
the tables also had no way to tell the score from the other side of the arena since the laptops were used to keep score and they were only pointing to one direction...

Music was definitely too loud all the time ....I know it is useful to hide the noise of the audience...but still it was quite loud... also the stands...made of metal-scaffoldings made helluva lot of noise when people were climbing up and down...

However, putting it all together...what a great event!!! I know I am picking on just a couple of things....but these were really the only things that bothered me.....the quality of the event, the production, the equipment.....first class. I know that last minute cancellation of teams and sponsors put a lot of strain on the organization so I believe that "downsizing" the purse is understandable.

Here's hoping for the next WTC to be also in Hannover! It is not like Germany has an abundance of international events like that! :)

cheers,
Kimmo

skor

missing shots since 1995
Silver Member
what a nice event! Nice meeting you there Markus as well....you are one helluva cameraman!

Sure there were things that could be improved on....but overall I was very impressed...

The cloths were super-fast...sometimes it was like looking at pool being played on ice....all you had to do is to look at the general direction of the ball and it started moving already...
the pockets were cut also in a bit weird way rattling the balls quite easily...

Anyhow.....nice to see also easy access for the public to the practise-tables allowing people to see their favourite players up close!

It was a little weird to have a break in the play in the middle of a match on the final day.... we were watching there Boyes play against van Corteza.....Boyes just narrowed it down to 7-6 (race to 8) and suddenly a break is called...do not see any logic in that one!

In the arena it was quite nice to see all the tables....i think the scoreboard was too small print...no hope of reading it from further away...
the tables also had no way to tell the score from the other side of the arena since the laptops were used to keep score and they were only pointing to one direction...

Music was definitely too loud all the time ....I know it is useful to hide the noise of the audience...but still it was quite loud... also the stands...made of metal-scaffoldings made helluva lot of noise when people were climbing up and down...

However, putting it all together...what a great event!!! I know I am picking on just a couple of things....but these were really the only things that bothered me.....the quality of the event, the production, the equipment.....first class. I know that last minute cancellation of teams and sponsors put a lot of strain on the organization so I believe that "downsizing" the purse is understandable.

Here's hoping for the next WTC to be also in Hannover! It is not like Germany has an abundance of international events like that! :)

cheers,
Kimmo

You know it is very different from the player point of view... I noticed all the things you've said at first but when it was my turn to play, I didn't hear any music, I didn't hear or see the crowd... nothing pass the table rails... usually I'm not that focused but being there pushed me into my best... with all the balls clicking around you, that's all you hear.

As for the pockets, if you hit the outer side of the pocket hard it'll rattle but if the ball comes from the rail side it went in. A soft hit (who need hard hits with that table speed) will go in from both sides. They were a bit tight but nothing a pro player can't handle. For me the side pocket were a bit more difficult then what I'm used to.

I don't mind going back to Germany but what about a warmer weather?

Kimmo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know it is very different from the player point of view... I noticed all the things you've said at first but when it was my turn to play, I didn't hear any music, I didn't hear or see the crowd... nothing pass the table rails... usually I'm not that focused but being there pushed me into my best... with all the balls clicking around you, that's all you hear.

As for the pockets, if you hit the outer side of the pocket hard it'll rattle but if the ball comes from the rail side it went in. A soft hit (who need hard hits with that table speed) will go in from both sides. They were a bit tight but nothing a pro player can't handle. For me the side pocket were a bit more difficult then what I'm used to.

I don't mind going back to Germany but what about a warmer weather?

I can only talk from audience perspective as I am nowhere near the quality of the Finnish team ;)
Those were the things that bothered me as an audience member...
as a player I heard from many players that the cloths were extremely fast and many did not like the pockets...well at least they were the same for everyone....sure players can adapt...and in the end the best team came out in the end...so fair enough...
however I can understand that adjusting to these tables took some time (for some more than others) for most people as they are definitely the middle-of-the-road -tables...not that they are bad...but just so different..

tommy84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's pretty stupid choosing to field two teams. Why have two diluted teams, when you can have one really kick-ass team? Unless you have a Team A (the kick-ass squad) and a Team B (the "junior varisty" squad).

For example, Germany split up Ortmann, Souquet, Hohmann, and Jentsch? What's the rationale in that?
That's because Germany was awarded a wild-card for hosting the tournament. And because Hannover did a lot to make this tournament great it was decided that the "Germany II" spot should be given to the premier-league squad of Hannover 96 as a kind of "thank you" for making this event possible. And it was not only WTC, but also 4 matchdays of premier league held at 11am thursday to sunday, so a LOT of organisation

Jentsch and Ortmann were playing for Germany II because they play premier league for Hannover. Of course there were discussions, especially between Ortmann and our head coach why he isn't on Germany I, but that would have been unfair to Hannover having to fill up Jentsch and Ortmann with weaker players.

And still Germany I was strong enough. Nicolas Ottermann plays premier league together with Manuel Ederer who was also on Germany I and if I remember it correctly it was Thorsten making mistakes and not 16 year old Ederer

thecardman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Regarding this, the Tournament Director explained to me that they had decided to take the one hour break or the traditional finish to the motor show - where all the doors and windows to the hall are opened and the horns of all the cars are sounded at once to mark the end of the event. He said that he felt it unfair to make players have to play through that racket.

Best wishes

thecardman
:)

dynamite

Gold Member
team gb captain

thanks for all the kind words

we are extremley proud to be world champions,the tournament was great for the first time, we just at to get used to the cloth for me the pockets were perfect really good tables just a little too quick.

we nothing else to complain about the germans hosted a great event and they took care of us best they could..

to my team am very proud of them they played with heart and guts and quality..and it great feeling to win for your own country and to play like we did in final just was iceing on the cake especially against a great philippine team.

the shootout with china was the most amazing thing ive ever been involved in or seen 29-27 after 39 shots each from both teams we saved two match points along the way amazing!

thanks again

see some of you guys at reno :)

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
14,000 clubs in Beijng? Wow I live here and hadn't heard that. I now there are about 30 in Xiamen of significance. Where are you getting those numbers?

Sorry John
But I made a typo in my post.
The figure for Beijing was 1600 clubs according to a report in China Daily.
----------------------------------------
16-year-old Liu Shasha became the youngest player in history to win the World Women's 9-ball Championships in Shangyang, Liaoning province, last month. Her compatriot, Pan Xiaoting, who won the title in 2007, finished third while another Chinese player, Fu Xiaofang, was fourth.

The "star effect" is already boosting the game at the grassroots level. The number of billiard clubs in Beijing rose from 700 to 1,600 while the figure in Shanghai increased from 600 to 1,300 over the past four years, Wang said.

"This year has just seen a great leap of China's pool on the world stage." Wang said. "I believe it will be more popular and produce more stars."

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Sorry John
But I made a typo in my post.
The figure for Beijing was 1600 clubs according to a report in China Daily.
----------------------------------------
16-year-old Liu Shasha became the youngest player in history to win the World Women's 9-ball Championships in Shangyang, Liaoning province, last month. Her compatriot, Pan Xiaoting, who won the title in 2007, finished third while another Chinese player, Fu Xiaofang, was fourth.

The "star effect" is already boosting the game at the grassroots level. The number of billiard clubs in Beijing rose from 700 to 1,600 while the figure in Shanghai increased from 600 to 1,300 over the past four years, Wang said.

"This year has just seen a great leap of China's pool on the world stage." Wang said. "I believe it will be more popular and produce more stars."

I could see those numbers for sure. They say Beijing's unofficial population is around 18 million.

I haven't counted in a while but in Xiamen I have the addresses of 30 pool rooms and it seems as if one opens on every corner these days. I would bet that there are probably at least 100 pool room in a 50 mile radius.

Just around the corner, a five minute walk, a room opened which had three triple shimmed Gold Crowns right up front. The owner is a good player and there is plenty of good competition.

China will definitely be producing some superstars.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
That's because Germany was awarded a wild-card for hosting the tournament. And because Hannover did a lot to make this tournament great it was decided that the "Germany II" spot should be given to the premier-league squad of Hannover 96 as a kind of "thank you" for making this event possible. And it was not only WTC, but also 4 matchdays of premier league held at 11am thursday to sunday, so a LOT of organisation

Jentsch and Ortmann were playing for Germany II because they play premier league for Hannover. Of course there were discussions, especially between Ortmann and our head coach why he isn't on Germany I, but that would have been unfair to Hannover having to fill up Jentsch and Ortmann with weaker players.

And still Germany I was strong enough. Nicolas Ottermann plays premier league together with Manuel Ederer who was also on Germany I and if I remember it correctly it was Thorsten making mistakes and not 16 year old Ederer

Hello Tommy,

A lot of people reading this don't understand the league system in Germany.

For those of you who don't know how it works this is how it goes.

Germany's leagues are separated into divisions that start with a "local town" league that encompasses towns that are generally less than an hour's drive apart. The next division is a sort of county league, then a state league , then a national league. (Not EXACTLY like this but close enough).

Teams usually get together once or twice a month and play two rounds with the games being 8 Ball, 9 Ball and 14.1 Straight Pool.

As teams move up into higher divisions the distance between opponents gets greater.

So for the national league teams they generally get three or four teams together on a weekend due to the fact that the distance between cities can be many hours and those teams will all play several months of matches in one weekend.

I miss the German leagues very much and am thinking hard about trying to start something similar in China.

But anyway, the team that Germany fielded as Germany2 was a national league level team. And honestly, all the players on a Bundesliga team are world class or not far from it.

tommy84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for that additional information.

I don't want to break down the whole league system, a thread exists for that already - and 10-Ball was introduced

Just to make clear Ortmann was not wasted in Germany II - our premier league (or Bundesliga) consists of 8 teams, here's a brief look at the players

Dachau: Ottermann, Ederer (both in Germany I), Roman Hybler (WTC Czech Republic), Harald Stolka (WC top 10 finisher) Evangelos Vettas was a teammember a few years ago
Oberhausen: Feijen, Roschkowsky (Germany I, European Champion)
Hannover / Germany II: Ortmann, Jentsch, Luettich, Musmann, Blacklaw
Bexbach: Sebastian Staab (lost 5k Euros 10-Ball challenge 9:10 to Souquet)
Straubing: Bernd Jahnke, Christian Reimering (Germany I)