18thJay Swanson Memorial 9-Ball - presented by CSI

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And we wonder why we can't have nice things. By insulting someone who does more for pool in a year than most will in a life time. Doesn't make sense. Take the event for what it is, a memorial. So go out, play the game we all love, maybe win some money, and support a memorial for someone. It isn't that hard of a concept. If I lived out there I would play in it. *shakes head*

spanky79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are there going to rules that prevent pattern racking?

What Dennis Orcollo did last year was very impressive, but I think pattern racking should be illegal. At the top level for the pros it just leads to the same boring runout over and over

i was there, both players in the final pattern racked and neither one of them complained. seems fare to me. If one of them didnt like it they could of said something

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
If Mark doesnt have a spot for you contact me. I'll show you the joys of streaming in Reno. No Alaska stories though.

"Streaming" that's what you now call it. Hornet I would pass....have you seen the size of Justin's hands? In the words of Shaq....it's all proportional.

Nick

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
i was there, both players in the final pattern racked and neither one of them complained. seems fare to me. If one of them didnt like it they could of said something

It can get really boring for the spectators though.

Pool needs to stop worrying about what the players want and needs to start figuring out how to make people who might actually watch the game more interested. Pattern racking with carbon copy outs is not that entertaining.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member

Pool needs to stop worrying about what the players want and needs to start figuring out how to make people who might actually watch the game more interested. Pattern racking with carbon copy outs is not that entertaining.

Better yet force the same rack sequence for max effect. I like
4-7
8-10-5
2-6-9-3

(I don't play 9-ball unless someone makes it lucrative)

This is how i rack them for myself when practicing.

Nick

Last edited:

spanky79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

well if we are using that line of thinking, they should not have been playing on table 1 at hardtimes in the first place. that table way to tight for rotation games. I have seen many a pro struggle on it. Dennis just made it look to damn easy.

POVPOOL

POV Pool
Silver Member
Streamed Live!

This event will be streamed live for your enjoyment!
Thanks!
www.povpool.com
2014 Swanee Featured.jpg

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

it isn't really even about what's fair, it is about the lack of variation of the layuouts. I know that table is very difficult to run no matter the lay out, but it still made it less enjoyable for me. I think it should be opponent racks. I know that creates its own issues too, but at least it eliminates the pattern racking

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I will say this about pattern racking.

If it was so easy - why didn't all the others do it.

What you saw last year was an EXCEPTIONAL display of skill.
There aren't 3 people in the world that could have done that - if there were, we would have seen more of it.

Too much talk about something that is not enforceable.

Maybe people don't realize how tough those two tables are - remember John Morra and Oscar D? Out of 182 some racks, only a dozen or so break and runs? Yep sounds like the tables are too easy!!! LOL

All the pattern racking in the world would not have helped those guys and they are in the top 25 players in North America!!!!!

Mark G

ziggystardust

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark, most of us really appreciate what you do. If I didn't move I would drive up and support this event. I'm glad it is being streamed on POV, can't wait to see the matchups. Again thanks and hope your health is getting better.

terminal_288

@terminal_288
Silver Member
I would just like to give a shout out to Mark, CSI, Hardtimes, and everyone else that puts this tournament together, keep up the good work, it can't be easy but its a pleasure to be able to come out and play. Side bar I would trek down from the frozen north to play in this tournament if first place was a trophy and a pat on the back. I work a min wage job 40 hours a week to keep a roof over my head and food on my plate, I play in these tournaments and pool in general for the glory and a few good stories to tell. , any money I win is just icing on the cake, but hey thats just how I see it your milage may vary

POVPOOL

POV Pool
Silver Member
Mark, most of us really appreciate what you do. If I didn't move I would drive up and support this event. I'm glad it is being streamed on POV, can't wait to see the matchups. Again thanks and hope your health is getting better.

Yeah, well i'm still trying to get a straight answer on who's paying me to live stream it, though. If I don't get one, I will just do the 2nd day as a Pay Per View event. Problem solved!

mcsock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My game is way too weak to play in it, but know so many people and friends that will be playing, I will drive up on Sunday to watch.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will say this about pattern racking.

If it was so easy - why didn't all the others do it.

What you saw last year was an EXCEPTIONAL display of skill.
There aren't 3 people in the world that could have done that - if there were, we would have seen more of it.

Too much talk about something that is not enforceable.

Maybe people don't realize how tough those two tables are - remember John Morra and Oscar D? Out of 182 some racks, only a dozen or so break and runs? Yep sounds like the tables are too easy!!! LOL

All the pattern racking in the world would not have helped those guys and they are in the top 25 players in North America!!!!!

Mark G
I know those tables are super difficult. Orcollo is top notch. However, he was running very similar racks repetitively. The easy solution is opponent racks with a magic rack.

I don't mean anything overly negative by this. I think it is great that you put on this tournament and really hope it continues. I just think that pattern racking is a problem and is pretty easily solved especially when a magic rack is involved.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
My game is way too weak to play in it, but know so many people and friends that will be playing, I will drive up on Sunday to watch.

It's one of those tournaments where you can get lucky and draw some average players. Not everybody who plays in it is a world beater.

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just a friendly bump.

The event has about 130 paid entrants so far.

The event will fill up - so snooze you lose!

There is a link earlier in the thread where you see who is signed up.

Mark Griffin

nb92

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a friendly bump.

The event has about 130 paid entrants so far.

The event will fill up - so snooze you lose!

There is a link earlier in the thread where you see who is signed up.

Mark Griffin

Mark,

Will this be streamed again? Great matches, Great commentary, Great Players and a wonderful advertisement of the GAME.

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
18th Jay Swanson

Daniel Busch from POVPOOL is scheduled to stream.

The cue ball will be the measle ball.

Last time I checked we were right at 140 paid entries.it is limited to 192.

Mark Griffin