Good Unknowns

Razor_Blade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dsmith8ball said:
Chad McMillan, Ricky McMillan(not related), Wesley Barnes, Scott Pardo, Andy Bruce, Lee Boone, and Scotty Townsend--Ooops, he's a pro! :D

A few weeks ago, number two on your list, beat number four so bad that he broke his cue, and punted a trash can.

Scotty Townsend definetly isn`t an unknown. Use the search feature on him, and you will find more than a few good stories.

BTW, I enjoyed the match Thursday.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Jimmy M. said:
Yeah, but Bobalou isn't unknown, is he?

There was a player I'm pretty sure Rude Dog knew - "Mexican Ronnie", Ronnie Rosas. He was one of the best 9 ball players I've ever seen. He peaked in his early 20's then fell out of it. In a comeback, in the L.A. open at the Burbank Hilton in 1994 or 1995, he pretty soundly beat Rodney Morris - who would go on to win the US Open a little later. He's still around and has the talent but is not the same player he was.

Chris

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
> There are several around Kentucky that can flat gin,big table or whatever. Mike Patten is one,killer break,incredible shotmaker,but not real well known amongst the general public,although he did win the 1996 U.S. Amateur at Valley Forge,plays on par with Hennessee and Durbin. Another is Eddie Adams. He is a great guy,and a killer tournament only player,he's not a gambler,refuses to even participate in calcuttas,and if you buy him and he wins,refuses to take a jelly roll. He's also cashed like 8 times in U.S. Open play,usually as a result of snapping off a qualifier. His worst game is about like Mike Massey,his highest gear is close to Luat. I've seen him beat about half the people in the world considered to be pros at one time or another. There used to be a monthly tournament in Jackson,Tn that was jokingly referred to as The Eddie Adams Open,because he posted a phenomenal win/loss percentage in winning the tournament 15 months in a row,only occasionally losing a match to players like Ray Schultz,a young Tony Watson,Nick Varner,Larry Aylor,Vernon Elliot,Floyd Baxter and others. Tommy D.

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
About Mike Bandy

Jimmy M. said:
Mike Bandy. As good as he plays, I am thinking there has to be more to the story of him beating Mark. Were they playing even? Was it on a 9' table?

I borrowed a tape of world 9-ball champs final from Chicago 1994 with Okumura vs. Itzuzaki. Mike Bandy was on the result list finishing 5th.

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tommy-D said:
> There are several around Kentucky that can flat gin,big table or whatever. Mike Patten is one,killer break,incredible shotmaker,but not real well known amongst the general public,although he did win the 1996 U.S. Amateur at Valley Forge,plays on par with Hennessee and Durbin. Another is Eddie Adams. He is a great guy,and a killer tournament only player,he's not a gambler,refuses to even participate in calcuttas,and if you buy him and he wins,refuses to take a jelly roll. He's also cashed like 8 times in U.S. Open play,usually as a result of snapping off a qualifier. His worst game is about like Mike Massey,his highest gear is close to Luat. I've seen him beat about half the people in the world considered to be pros at one time or another. There used to be a monthly tournament in Jackson,Tn that was jokingly referred to as The Eddie Adams Open,because he posted a phenomenal win/loss percentage in winning the tournament 15 months in a row,only occasionally losing a match to players like Ray Schultz,a young Tony Watson,Nick Varner,Larry Aylor,Vernon Elliot,Floyd Baxter and others. Tommy D.

Floyd Baxter, now there is a name I haven't heard in a while, Tommy-D. I use to do some things with, Floyd. While he didn't play, Buddy's, speed he might have made as much money as, Buddy, did. Floyd laid it down with the, Utley J. Pucketts, of the world. None did it better. Floyd, would beat, Ned The Primmer, 11-10. Just enough that he would get another set or two out of the guy. Winning them 11-10. I have witnessed, Floyd, trap a guy's backer who swore he could beat, Floyd, because he played so bad. Thought his player was just un-lucky. Floyd, was a good person too. Allways counted the money perfectly. If you were in with, Floyd, you could count on everything being on the up-n-up.

cheemagun

gettin there...
Silver Member
there is this player around brooklyn. i dont want to mention his name. but i think he is good enough to beat most everybody in nyc. a good match for pros like ginky frankie tony and mika. and ive seen most of the best play around nyc. from flaco to slim to schulman .. a bunch of ppl. and this dude is better. he actually doesnt even play or practice any more. and everytime he steps to the table its like he never left. he broke and ran 7 racks of ten ball. TEN ball. lol. and he beat jean balukas in her tournament that she almost ALWAYS win. even up. 5-0 she didnt stand a chance.

but i like the unknown players. and i like to see them match up with some pros. but for thse type of guys pool is not their top priority.

Bobby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cheemagun said:
there is this player around brooklyn. i dont want to mention his name. but i think he is good enough to beat most everybody in nyc. a good match for pros like ginky frankie tony and mika. and ive seen most of the best play around nyc. from flaco to slim to schulman .. a bunch of ppl. and this dude is better. he actually doesnt even play or practice any more. and everytime he steps to the table its like he never left. he broke and ran 7 racks of ten ball. TEN ball. lol. and he beat jean balukas in her tournament that she almost ALWAYS win. even up. 5-0 she didnt stand a chance.

but i like the unknown players. and i like to see them match up with some pros. but for thse type of guys pool is not their top priority.

Would this player happen to be Gene Nagy?

cheemagun

gettin there...
Silver Member
Bobby said:
Would this player happen to be Gene Nagy?

nope. unless you play around here, you probably wouldnt know. i would say his name but.. it just seems funny for me to mention somebody elses name like that. idk.

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
cheemagun said:
and he beat jean balukas in her tournament that she almost ALWAYS win. even up. 5-0 she didnt stand a chance.

Is she still playing good? It's too bad that she doesn't play in any of the WPBA events. I'm sure she gets asked why she never plays in any of them all the time. Any idea what her answer is?

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
TATE said:
There was a player I'm pretty sure Rude Dog knew - "Mexican Ronnie", Ronnie Rosas. He was one of the best 9 ball players I've ever seen. He peaked in his early 20's then fell out of it. In a comeback, in the L.A. open at the Burbank Hilton in 1994 or 1995, he pretty soundly beat Rodney Morris - who would go on to win the US Open a little later. He's still around and has the talent but is not the same player he was.

Chris

I know Ronnie. Tell him I said hi if you see him.

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hemicudas said:
Floyd Baxter, now there is a name I haven't heard in a while, Tommy-D. I use to do some things with, Floyd. While he didn't play, Buddy's, speed he might have made as much money as, Buddy, did. Floyd laid it down with the, Utley J. Pucketts, of the world. None did it better. Floyd, would beat, Ned The Primmer, 11-10. Just enough that he would get another set or two out of the guy. Winning them 11-10. I have witnessed, Floyd, trap a guy's backer who swore he could beat, Floyd, because he played so bad. Thought his player was just un-lucky. Floyd, was a good person too. Allways counted the money perfectly. If you were in with, Floyd, you could count on everything being on the up-n-up.

When I first starting to play okay pool I used to go into Atl to Mr. Cues
around lunchtime and play. If you got a burger pool was free.
Well somehow me and Floyd get into a game for 3 a rack playing 9 ball.
I knew him but could not place exactly who it was. I figured 3 per rack was
okay anyway even if I got killed.
I started off nervous and he won the first 7 games. He then stopped and
said he would give me the 8 because it looked like he was better and I was
missing some EASY shots. He then said he was just in for lunch and
was not a hustler looking for the kill.
Well I thought about it and thought it was nice but then got mad that
just because I knew the guy was supposed to be good I was doggin it.
Also the remark about not being good stung because I knew him but not
really.
I came back and got it back to 2 games down and the spot came away.
We played for about 3 more hours only raising the bet to 5 per rack.
I lost 10 bucks when it was all said and done.
He was joking around about how I stopped messing up.
To play that long for that cheap was pretty good for me. He was a good player and actually showed me a few things when we were playing.
He probably just wanted the practice or something but he was nice while
we played.
He actually helped me more than he knew as it give me a little confidence and
I placed in a tournament that weekend. It was the first Regional size event
I had made it to the money.
I had to beat Ronnie Yarborough to get into the money. I had been around him quite a bit over the previous few years and he shook my hand and
said that I surprised him and had gotten alot better.
I then got beat by Grossman 9-1. I can still remember that tourney and
the Grossman match almost shot for shot. That was years and years ago

cheemagun

gettin there...
Silver Member
Jimmy M. said:
Is she still playing good? It's too bad that she doesn't play in any of the WPBA events. I'm sure she gets asked why she never plays in any of them all the time. Any idea what her answer is?

the only time i see her shoot is in her own tournaments. she does not even go to any other local tourneys. but she plays good. she is under the speed of allison and karen. but she plays as good or better then gerda. she breaks harder then any woman ive seen.

LastTwo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TATE said:

Chris

Chris- I used to have the hots for his niece Heather. She used to flirt with me all the time until I finally asked her out, and she turned me down. This was back in '98. She would always tell me how good her uncle played, but I just thought she was exaggerating until I started hearing stories about him from good players.

RonRosas

Banned
Back in the Day..

Malibu Mike Murphy late70's early 80's, when he was in his tweenties, greta shot for a kid, he quit pool for about 20 years and had 2 daughters and was married, ran into him about 4 years ago, nothing like he used to be I think joining the navy and working so hard put the zap on his game, but back at house of Billiards in the 80's he was a top player! I still gave him the 7 out, I gave everyone the 7 out, but I was much better then too!

Attachments

• 20140607_160549_1.jpg
    20140607_160549_1.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 285
  • user99552_pic15766_1441869525.jpg
    user99552_pic15766_1441869525.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 292
St. Louis area... Andy Quinn, Gary Lutman, and a few others that I'm drawing a blank on their names.
One other name (am told he's in Florida now)... Sammy Soto! Some of you older road players might know the name. He used to play around St. Louis.

Zim

Pat McMillan maybe? He is from St. Louis, and I read that he lives down in FL now. I do not think he was afraid to play anyone back in the late 90's (before he quit to play Poker full time). Not sure just how good he really was, but he may have been able to beat some of the pro players when he was really on.