Kamui

Ccarroll

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone in the repair business had a kamui separate from the clear part while turning it down ?

Ccarroll

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Idk

Someone brought it to me to put on. I don't know where it came from ? I had a new RH bit on the tool post

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Must be a fake one.
They are sold all over.
I refuse to work on brought in Kamuis.

ZeroSkylineX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not in the repair business but my cue smith and I agreed to leave the clear pad on. I had a Kamui Black Clear and my cuesmith tuned it down leaving the clear pad on. He then put an Ultraskin tip on it. You honestly can't tell the difference. I posted a pic in the cue and accessories section under the Ultraskin tip reviews.

Ccarroll

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not in the repair business but my cue smith and I agreed to leave the clear pad on. I had a Kamui Black Clear and my cuesmith tuned it down leaving the clear pad on. He then put an Ultraskin tip on it. You honestly can't tell the difference. I posted a pic in the cue and accessories section under the Ultraskin tip reviews.

Sounds good to me. If it were my cue I wouldn't mind. I play with ultra skin tips. The owner of the kamui wanted the kamui so I installed another kamui.

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
A RH tool bit is a type of tool used in a lathe. If you own or have ever seen a lathe with a tool bit in the tool post you would know what I mean. :grin-square:
I own a lathe. I know what a RH, LH and straight bit are. I was actually wondering why you use a BIT to cut a leather tip. I use a razor blade. It works better. If you'd like me to show you how to do it on that "lathe thingy" you're talking about, let me know....

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never had a Kamui Clear separate at the pad.
Lots of fakes out there, so be aware.
I use a carbide tool bit to trim the tip down a bit and use a new razor to trim the tip flush.
If its a quality tip, the leather will form fine long ribbons as I cut.

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
I used bits my first year or two doing tips. The problem with tool bits, I found, was that you couldn't trim a single layer soft tip. A tool bit will destroy an Elkmaster. Even a Triangle or Le Pro can take a beating from a tool bit. Tool bits for metal lathes were meant to cut metal. They don't have an edge nearly sharp enough to cut leather. Laminated tips stand up better to tool bits. This may be why a lot of repair guys like laminated tips - they aren't better. You can just use inferior techniques to install them, and the tip turns out ok.

Maybe the guys using bits can chime in, but if I use a fresh razor blade for a tip, I very rarely (if ever) have a bad install. My 2c.

Ccarroll

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used bits my first year or two doing tips. The problem with tool bits, I found, was that you couldn't trim a single layer soft tip. A tool bit will destroy an Elkmaster. Even a Triangle or Le Pro can take a beating from a tool bit. Tool bits for metal lathes were meant to cut metal. They don't have an edge nearly sharp enough to cut leather. Laminated tips stand up better to tool bits. This may be why a lot of repair guys like laminated tips - they aren't better. You can just use inferior techniques to install them, and the tip turns out ok.

Maybe the guys using bits can chime in, but if I use a fresh razor blade for a tip, I very rarely (if ever) have a bad install. My 2c.

I have used a razor blade before to get the tip flush. However I'm comfortable using bits to get the tip flush. My "lathe thingy" is dialed in perfect. Also I like to trim the tip towards the ferrule not away from it with a razor blade.
Either way works. I just do it my way. Believe it or not a lot of guys do it this way.
I understand your methods though. Razor blades are easy and a lot cheaper than bits. But you can sharpen bits before each use and it's safer.

Ccarroll

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never had a Kamui Clear separate at the pad.
Lots of fakes out there, so be aware.
I use a carbide tool bit to trim the tip down a bit and use a new razor to trim the tip flush.
If its a quality tip, the leather will form fine long ribbons as I cut.

No ribbon when I cut that one. Just found out the guy bought it on amazon. So that answers any doubt.

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
I have used a razor blade before to get the tip flush. However I'm comfortable using bits to get the tip flush. My "lathe thingy" is dialed in perfect. Also I like to trim the tip towards the ferrule not away from it with a razor blade.
Either way works. I just do it my way. Believe it or not a lot of guys do it this way.
I understand your methods though. Razor blades are easy and a lot cheaper than bits. But you can sharpen bits before each use and it's safer.
Yep. I work on a lot of cues from guys that do it "your way". You can tell, because the top of ferrule is a smaller diameter than the bottom, because the way you "flush the tip" using a bit is by sanding it with the ferrule. My way, I never have to touch the cue with sandpaper.

I'm guessing you have trouble installing Elks, right? ;)

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

Use a parting tool instead . Much sharper and does not generate the heat that 3/8 bits create.
You can also grind a nice angle on the edge. Make a little shorter on the left side.
Your setup might be perfect, but a lot of time those shafts are off-round from all the sanding .