Laminate or wood veneer for rail rebuild

Toxictom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have removed the chipped/broken/scratched up laminate from the rails of a table I am going to rebuild. I'd like to use wood veneer in place of the formica that was originally on the rails. Is this a good idea? I am wondering if a polyurethane finish will be hard enough to resist scratching or scuffing from cues moving across it. Has anyone ever attempted this or should I stick with laminate? Also, the formica that was on it previously had started lifting on just about every one of the rails. I'm thinking the wood veneer would be a little more flexible and not want to lift so much. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

tjohnson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it were me, I'd use wood veneer. Looks great and polyurethane finishes can be very durable. Even if it gets scratched after several years of hard use, you can easily sand and recoat it, something you can't do to laminate. I think real wood looks much better than fake-wood laminate.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I have removed the chipped/broken/scratched up laminate from the rails of a table I am going to rebuild. I'd like to use wood veneer in place of the formica that was originally on the rails. Is this a good idea? I am wondering if a polyurethane finish will be hard enough to resist scratching or scuffing from cues moving across it. Has anyone ever attempted this or should I stick with laminate? Also, the formica that was on it previously had started lifting on just about every one of the rails. I'm thinking the wood veneer would be a little more flexible and not want to lift so much. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Always have to ask...what kind of pool table are you talking about?

timsmcm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One small sharp ball blow and the wood surface is dented. It is a shame dymondwood is not available.

Toxictom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have absolutely no idea what kind of table this originally was. It is very similar in design to a 1970's Fischer with drop pockets I used to have, only this one is a 7 footer with a 1 piece slate. Pretty sure it wasn't a high end table to begin with.
It was a project someone started and didn't finish. I'm also going to have to try and make a new base and aprons.
The formica on the rails was all chipped and broken so I removed the laminate with a heat gun. My plan is to redo the rails using veneer and shoot about 20 coats of automotive clear on it. I'm going to fabricate the new aprons out of walnut laminate flooring or something like that has a nice prefinished luster. The base should be fairly straightforward but I have to decide if I should make the base with levelers or not.
I'm going to post the rebuild on instructables.com once I get started in the next couple of weeks.

tjohnson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like a good plan. Auto clear should make the veneer bullet proof but I wonder if it will be too inflexible if on a wood base? Might crack as the wood moves? Maybe not. I've used 2-part polyurethane on wood and it's a very durable finish. Looking forward to seeing your work in progress!

Last edited: