Being the worst league player

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Practicing alone built my confidence up way too much.
You think? You need a slump-buster. Go find somebody you CAN beat and just wail on their ass. Also, when you practice either do specific drills or play the ghost. Don't just whack balls around.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
You think? You need a slump-buster. Go find somebody you CAN beat and just wail on their ass. Also, when you practice either do specific drills or play the ghost. Don't just whack balls around.

Yeah, one of these, improve your game 100%

Attachments

• 2016-12-14-20-43-55--142712391.jpeg
    2016-12-14-20-43-55--142712391.jpeg
    5.2 KB · Views: 328

JC

Coos Cues
Signed up for league, found out I am the worst player with the most losses.

Is it worth it to play league, or should I just get a practice table by myself?

I recommend signing up and playing in some leagues in nearby towns.

It's possible that you are the worst player in the state.:rolleyes:

JC

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

for every match you lose, someone else is winning. Think of how many other players you are making happy :thumbup:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
But to add onto Celophane's point, just because you have the most losses doesn't mean you're the worst. A lot of this game is confidence, and if you don't give yourself a chance mentally, the results on the table will reflect that.

Most importantly, have fun!

-Brian

This!!!

I'm near the bottom of the rankings for this session, but I often take on stronger opponents, both for the team and for the challenge. Sometimes you just have a tough run, as well. Sometimes the other guys just play better, and you might draw a few in a row that are on a hot streak.

The biggest thing that I learned early on in my league experience was that the more you get into actual competition, the better you will eventually do. All the practice in the world on your home table can't compare to playing against a live opponent in a match that means something. Playing league matches, playing in tournaments, or playing for a wager (even a small one) if you like that sort of environment will make you better. The stakes don't need to be high, the match simply needs to "matter" for one reason or another.

Best of luck.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most folks I have seen, if they play in leagues, they dont go to the pool room to practice. They only "table time" they see is league night.

Generally, IMO, league players are not really looking at what they need to do to improve.

If you want to improve I suggest the following.

1.) Get a coach, and have them review your mechanics and alignment. Practicing with poor mechanics is ultimately making you worse.

2.) If you are really a beginning player, learn all the bridges, open, closed, bridging over a ball, off the rail, etc. Along with this, learn to shoot off a mechanical bridge (hardly anyone in league play does this right)

3.) The silly advice of playing someone worse than you is crazy. Play better players and have them critique your play. Specifically patterns and shot selection. (I personally win ALOT of games not because I am a better shot maker, I win because I play smarter)

4.) Safety play. Huge. One of the best players in my home town would come to the poolroom and practice safety play verses making balls. In league play, with a low handicap, if you can play a safety at the appropriate time, you will win alot of games.

5.) The coach I had told me that I would never beat her. I asked why and she said, "Table time." She played hours and hours each day, and I played maybe an hour or so a night on my table at home, and then some on the weekends.

I wish you the best of rolls,

Ken

Reactions: mvp

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
You should do both if you are able to.

I've never had the pleasure of owning a table at home but know itwould be great for me.

The league is a good place to start enjoying pool. You can learn a lot from your team mates.

You also might want to take a pool lesson or two.

JoeyA

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
This!!!

. The stakes don't need to be high, the match simply needs to "matter" for one reason or another.

Best of luck.

Needs to matter...is a great term.

skin in the game, or a good reason ta NOT lose are similar.

Bragging rights after a win.... are like donuts for the mind. :p

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Be careful what you wish for.

One more thing.

Down here in Louisiana, a "3" is like the most sought after player in the entire APA pool league. It helps keep the team's handicap numbers down and it is hard to stay a 3 forvery long. Hang in there. If your team doesn't appreciate you, find another.

JoeyA

Sounds like a lot of encouragement.

I guess I was overconfident signing up for league thinking I'd dominate.

But seeing how much I lose makes me think I am not ready for the competition level.

Thanks for the tips all. Whatever happens, I just plan on shooting better pool.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like a lot of encouragement.

I guess I was overconfident signing up for league thinking I'd dominate.

But seeing how much I lose makes me think I am not ready for the competition level.

Thanks for the tips all. Whatever happens, I just plan on shooting better pool.

You were on the forums since 2005 with over 8k posts, all those aiming and jump cue threads did not make you a better player? Inconceivable! :grin-devilish::yikes:

How many matched did you play? I would not really call leagues as "competition" though, sure you play others, but I'm guessing the league is handicapped so you are really just playing to your handicap not competing directly against another player. Way too many people never get any better because of handicaps. While they server a good purpose, to players it ends up being a crutch they never try or can out-grow. They can win as a 4 against 7s so start to think they can play good without trying to get better, where in reality they are not good players, they are just given a head start in the race.

There are plenty of people that come out of their basement practice rooms without actually knowing how to play, did you make sure you actually leaned to play on your practice table? As I said about over 8k posts, I don't see how you can actually play badly with being on the forums so much, do I doubt you are actually a bad player. In that case, don't worry about the league, maybe you are ranked too high, or the players were ranked too low. Unless you have like 20-30 matches in the league you may just have been unlucky in the match-ups.

Last edited:

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Feedback on advice:

Play players weaker than me to feel good.

Play players stronger than me to improve.

Get a coach to explain how I can improve.

Practice shots I miss.

Celebrate when I lose because someone else wins.

It makes sense, the only way to get better is to identify areas I need improving in.

Some of your posters are so smart with the common sense stuff.

I still hate being last place. I don't feel better about it.

PoolChump

Banned
Cuetec Cues

Have you tried shooting with a Cuetec?:grin-square:

Cuetec has some awesome fiberglass shafts. Any cue works fine as long as the shaft is straight and it has a well shaped tip. I can run out with any cue regardless if it is a house or custom cue. It is the player, not the cue that performs at the high level. :wink:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member

You're not supposed to feel good about that. I don't blame you one bit.

If you keep at it, you won't stay in last place. Then you can feel bad about not placing higher than you did. :p

(Applies to me, almost every session. Once in a while I place fairly high, just to keep me off balance I suppose. This session I'm bottom-20 of our 8-ball division, and top-15 of our 9-ball division. And I think I play 8-ball better...go figure.)

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Feedback on advice:

Play players weaker than me to feel good.

Play players stronger than me to improve.

Get a coach to explain how I can improve.

Practice shots I miss.

Celebrate when I lose because someone else wins.

It makes sense, the only way to get better is to identify areas I need improving in.

Some of your posters are so smart with the common sense stuff.

Within your statement lies your answer....:thumbup:

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wrong place

This is not the right place to ask. We are all champions on here, hell we even
give advice to those dogs of ours on the MC team.
jack

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Both.
Buy a table to practice ( 9 foot preferably if u have space ) and continue playing league for experience ( observing the mistakes u made often ).

On top of that, get lessons from pros or coaches if u can afford it , get the house pro or better players to take u under their wing ( u paying table time of course )and playing with better players will motivate u to play better.

Good luck w ur progress

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
There is a certain freedom in last place. Can't get any worse, so I say just enjoy the game, practice and good things will follow. Something is making you continue to play, so go with it.;)

cwarwick812

Registered
At the end of the day your win/loss record isn't an indication of how good of a player you are or aren't. As long as your having fun and you feel like your game is improving keep playing league and practice as often as possible.