Being the worst league player

Banks

Banned
You were on the forums since 2005 with over 8k posts, all those aiming and jump cue threads did not make you a better player? Inconceivable! :grin-devilish::yikes:

How many matched did you play? I would not really call leagues as "competition" though, sure you play others, but I'm guessing the league is handicapped so you are really just playing to your handicap not competing directly against another player. Way too many people never get any better because of handicaps. While they server a good purpose, to players it ends up being a crutch they never try or can out-grow. They can win as a 4 against 7s so start to think they can play good without trying to get better, where in reality they are not good players, they are just given a head start in the race.

There are plenty of people that come out of their basement practice rooms without actually knowing how to play, did you make sure you actually leaned to play on your practice table? As I said about over 8k posts, I don't see how you can actually play badly with being on the forums so much, do I doubt you are actually a bad player. In that case, don't worry about the league, maybe you are ranked too high, or the players were ranked too low. Unless you have like 20-30 matches in the league you may just have been unlucky in the match-ups.

Nope.

People improve if they try and pay attention, within their general ability to do so. I know good players that haven't improved since i began, weak players that made big jumps and low players that got better with handicaps.

If he's last after having been on here for 11 years, use any excuse because they probably all fit.

MahnaMahna

Beefcake. BEEFCAKE!!
Silver Member
Anyone who believes justnum actually plays pool is dumber than the threads he keeps creating.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Anyone who believes justnum actually plays pool is dumber than the threads he keeps creating.

I dont play pool, I shoot amazing safes and pocket low percentage object balls.

I am going to improve cue ball control and my stroke.

People that play pool tend to be players that enjoy shooting with lousy play or the self proclaimed miracle makers.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Nope.

People improve if they try and pay attention, within their general ability to do so. I know good players that haven't improved since i began, weak players that made big jumps and low players that got better with handicaps.

If he's last after having been on here for 11 years, use any excuse because they probably all fit.

my excuse is just goofing off too much in a match and sharking myself.

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Losing is not a sign of how good or bad you are, depending on the league you could be getting some seriously unfavorable match-ups...sometimes the handicap really works...I actually have more losses to 2's/3's than I do to 4's 5's 6's and 7's combined. I do pretty well though, I watch a lot of Tor Lowry and spend ten hours a week practicing. Do not be disheartened, try to get your coach to match you up against a player that is ranked the same or one rank higher than you each week, this will give you a true gauge on your skill level and will also put the handicap slightly in your favor...best of luck in future matches!!

CT06010

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it all depends on why you're playing league.
If it's only to be the best...then yes...get a table by yourself and practice by yourself...probably for awhile.
If it's for socialization...then enjoy the time with friends.
If it's to improve your game...then learn what you can from those that are better at pool while you're playing in the league...

Just my thoughts...

^^^^true^^^^

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Signed up for league, found out I am the worst player with the most losses.

Is it worth it to play league, or should I just get a practice table by myself?

Enjoy your time with your league mates, and have FUN. Figure out why you are playing. Is it a social endeavor, or do you hope to become a more competent player? If you would like to elevate your game, take some basic formal instruction, play with folks who consistently beat you, and pay attention while they're at the table. As my Dad used to say, "you'll get better when you get tired of racking." ;)
Good luck Num.
Best regards.
Joe P.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quick story about myself, I quit playing this game for almost 15 years. I turned 32 and wanted to just start playing again, went around and joined my local league. I couldn't shoot straight or do anything well. However, I put in some practice and became friends with a lot of the league players. This helped me become a much better player than I was two years ago.

I took the suggestions given to me and practice time and I have since been raised two levels. Now, did I go and practice 200 hours a week? No, I do not have the time, but I was able to get at least 3 or so in and just worked on what I could.

Am I a super high level player? Am I able to run out? Can I string together good shot after good shot? no, I cannot. but I will say that I've improved so much that some of the higher level players genuinely do not want to play me because even though I do not get a humongous handicap advantage, they still know I'm very good at pocketing balls and know how to avoid problems. It also helps that I'm very good at kicking.

the point is, decide what it is you want to really do. I joined with the intentions of just playing for fun but I have learned since that the socializing aspect and the getting better at the game are just as important as the having fun part.

Cheers!