Cue Tip

Cueball13

Registered
What kind of cue tips is everyone using? Hard, med or soft? Brand? Looking to get a little more spin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yvaiwhy

Tried quite a few tips so far.

Sarin
Tiger Sniper/Everest
Moori
Navigator
Cyborg
Zan
Kamui Black/Clear

Kamui Black Medium has been the best tip for me so far. Super soft works really nice too but somehow the medium speed seems to be what suited me. Cue tips are more of a personal preference so it’s all trial and error I guess until you find something which works for you.

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
What kind of cue tips is everyone using? Hard, med or soft? Brand? Looking to get a little more spin.

If you want more spin either hit the cue ball harder or hit it a little more outside. Tip hardness has nothing to do with spin like a lot of players believe, what gives you spin is a where you strike the cue ball.

The keys to spin are: Tip position, level cue and a good stroke. Be sure to chalk up.

buckets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want more spin either hit the cue ball harder or hit it a little more outside. Tip hardness has nothing to do with spin like a lot of players believe, what gives you spin is a where you strike the cue ball.

The keys to spin are: Tip position, level cue and a good stroke. Be sure to chalk up.

hardness does have an effect, otherwise we wouldn't use phenolic break tips

harder tips transfer energy more efficiently (i.e. lose less energy due to compression)

so all other things being equal, a harder tip would give more spin on any given off-center shot than a softer one

is this "true at the table"? not really

mister__p

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snooker cue

the diameter and shape of the tip are two variables which will dictate how much spin you can impart on the cue ball. The smaller the tip diameter and the pointier the tip, the better but a very pointy would obviously not be practical for normal playing so lets just say a hemispherical tip.

Ever tried playing US pool with an english snooker/pool cue with a 7mm tip? I used to and can confirm cue ball control is taken to a different level as you will be punished for any discrepancies in your aim.

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the diameter and shape of the tip are two variables which will dictate how much spin you can impart on the cue ball. The smaller the tip diameter and the pointier the tip, the better but a very pointy would obviously not be practical for normal playing so lets just say a hemispherical tip.

Ever tried playing US pool with an english snooker/pool cue with a 7mm tip? I used to and can confirm cue ball control is taken to a different level as you will be punished for any discrepancies in your aim.
The only thing a small tip does is make it easier visually to hit the cue ball further from the center. If you hit the cue ball with the same offset from the center with a larger tip, you will get the same result.

Julian

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
hardness does have an effect, otherwise we wouldn't use phenolic break tips

harder tips transfer energy more efficiently (i.e. lose less energy due to compression)

so all other things being equal, a harder tip would give more spin on any given off-center shot than a softer one

is this "true at the table"? not really

Phenolic tips are not a "shooting" tip although you can shoot with them and yes you will get the same amount of spin if you use a phenolic tip and SS tip if you hit in the same spot where the tip is not miscuing!

I understand the transfer of energy of tip hardness.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Leaving all technicalities aside... oftentimes it's the equipment that's hindering.

Try Ultraskin Medium or Soft or Kamikaze (the white ones) Medium or Soft.
They're excellent tips for a small amount of money.
I do rate them equal to a Tiger Onyx which is around 20$.

Then get a proper radius setup for your tip (dime or nickel, whatever suits you) and get a tip shaper to keep that radius.

Then chalk properly and start working on your spin, slowly getting more comfortable with hitting more to the outside.

Have fun, good luck,
M