What’s the Most Frustrating Aspect of Being an Aging Pool Player?

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know I’ve started threads on here before whining about my diminishing pool skills now in my 60s, but I’m hoping by the title of this thread that the responses might be slightly different this time around.

So I pose this question, what is more depressing and frustrating for an aging pool player who loves the game and hates seeing it dying out?

1) Having all the experience and knowledge acquired in nearly a lifetime (50 years) of playing pool, but no longer being able to execute the shots anywhere near the level of consistency that I used to have? Or

2) The complete absence of having any young players around to allow me the opportunity to pass on this knowledge and experience, in attempt to help them become better players sooner than they otherwise would, and certainly sooner than myself, considering I had no one around to look up to and teach me when I was young?

Yes, I know there are plenty of you out there, most likely under 60, who may feel that advancing years should be no excuse for diminishing pool skills. There is some concrete reason why there have been no major pool titles won anytime recently by players 50 years of age or older, just as in the case of golf, a very similar sport.

I claim that if Tom Watson had been able to make that 6 foot putt to par the 72nd hole of the British Open 10 years ago, just months shy of his 60th birthday, that would have easily been the most remarkable individual sports achievement in history. It would have given many of us the inspiration that anything is possible at our age!

To many obligations to be able to spend time playing enough to be decent still.

Protractor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh my gawd, there have been some pretty depressing stories on this thread. Maybe this will counter all that.

I'm 62 years old and my game is hitting its' stride. Of course I was never a great player to begin with - was probably considered a strong B player at one time. Now that I'm retired, I have more time to devote to my hobby.

I have NO aches and pains. My focus is still sharp. This wasn't always the case. At age 50 I started noticing minor aches and pains. I thought my advanced age was catching up to me. Then one day I went on a hike with a friend who was 15 years older than I. After 6 miles, I looked, and felt, like hammered s#!t, while my friend looked fresh as a daisy. I knew right then that I needed to get in better shape. Through exercise, I started feeling more energetic. The aches and pains went away. My pool game has benefitted from it.

My recommendation, keep your body in good physical condition. Because of the mind-body connection, your focus will be better also.

I read an interview with Jack LaLanne when he was in his late 80's. After telling the interviewer what he was still doing at his age for workouts, the interviewer said, "wow, you must really like exercising." Jack's reply was, "no, I hate exercising, but I like what it does for me." Well into his 90's he continued to get up at 4 am and do his 2 hour workout. When he finally died, it was from pneumonia, something that can kill anyone at any age.

I'm not quite that fiendish about my workouts (shorter, but very intense) but like Jack I have to force myself to do it even though I feel better from the endorphins, energy level, strength and increase mental acuity. It also improves the mental aspect of my game and my endurance for multi hour practice sessions and tournaments.

8ballEinstein

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read an interview with Jack LaLanne when he was in his late 80's. After telling the interviewer what he was still doing at his age for workouts, the interviewer said, "wow, you must really like exercising." Jack's reply was, "no, I hate exercising, but I like what it does for me." Well into his 90's he continued to get up at 4 am and do his 2 hour workout. When he finally died, it was from pneumonia, something that can kill anyone at any age.

I'm not quite that fiendish about my workouts (shorter, but very intense) but like Jack I have to force myself to do it even though I feel better from the endorphins, energy level, strength and increase mental acuity. It also improves the mental aspect of my game and my endurance for multi hour practice sessions and tournaments.

Jack LaLanne was a classic. Not only was he a big advocate of exercise but he also preached the importance of eating right. I remember he once said, "I see people start their day with coffee and a donut. Why do they do that??? That's something you wouldn't feed your dog."

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
birthday stunts

Jack used to do something every year on his birthday just to prove he still could. Can't remember details but once he swam to Catalina Island, towing six or seven boatloads of people! That was in his eighties or nineties. He was freakish probably until the pneumonia got him.

Hu

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jack used to do something every year on his birthday just to prove he still could. Can't remember details but once he swam to Catalina Island, towing six or seven boatloads of people! That was in his eighties or nineties. He was freakish probably until the pneumonia got him.

Hu

Jack was an awesome inspiration to us all!

For me, fast approaching 60, I think the most frustrating thing for me is the back problems since picking this game back up after a 25 year layoff. It hurt so bad this weekend that I just couldn't do it. I suppose there are exercises that will strengthen the lower back, time to get on the search function and find out what you guys know about this. Thank God for these internet forums.

cuenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have essential tremors and bulging discs in my neck, and my vision is deteriorating. I will probably buy some of the billiard glasses. I still get infuriated even though I know I can't control the tremors. I usually don't break as hard as I used to (intentionally). I am very competitive on the table, and when my body beats me I still can't handle it, and I can't seem to let it go. I have never been a gambler or tournament player, but hang with the better players where I live. When I have a good day I am hard to beat. When I have a bad day, I quit in short order so I don't break a cue. I enjoy watching good play more than I did when I was younger.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wonder if it was Don "The Preacher" Feeney. He lives down there. But he's 91 now!
At The Villages I'm pretty sure it would be Don. I think he's been there for a while.

George Rood ran 126 in his late 80s, maybe at 88. He was born in 1914. I saw him at the 2005 DCC when he was 90 and he had an amazing smooth stroke. He was in most excellent condition for that age and really sharp mentally.

Last edited:

pguernsey

That's easy. Playing in one of those weekend tournaments and having your last match on Saturday end after midnight, then having to drive home and be back at 11:00 the next morning if you made it to the second day. At 75 I can play for long stretches beginning in the afternoon and well into the evening, but having to start all over again the next morning is too much for me to sweat.
Amen Taxi. At 69 I feel I play as good as I have ever played. But I have little desire to play those 2 day midnight back at 10AM tournaments. So I took up 3 cushion and I play str8 pool league. Ran 125 & 95 in last 6 months. So what is lacking from the old days is the willingness to be playing pool at midnight.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
As far as the play itself, I don't find it frustrating that I can't play the way I used to, as my expectations have been properly reduced. If I exceed my expectations in my play, that makes me happy just as it always did.

What I do find it frustrating that I move slower around the table and get more tired from playing than once upon a time.

I think the most frustrating thing about being an older player is looking around the poolroom and seeing fewer and fewer of your friends, mentors, and influences, too many of whom have either passed away or disappeared from the pool scene for some other reason.