Gold Crown IV stretcher between leg supports?

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
I picked up a Gold Crown IV this week and its in pretty good shape besides missing the 4 angle brackets for the aprons and one cross-threaded t-nut and hex bolt on the stretcher, between the two leg supports. Searches on Google and AZ provided alot of stuff not related to the Gold Crown IV terms used in the manual.

Since it was cross-threaded, it was quite difficult to remove, and the small strip of wood the t-nut was set into was cracked. So I was going to cut a new piece of wood, install two new t-nuts and bolts and be good to go.

But while looking at the stretcher and noticing only 4 bolts hold it together with t-nuts, does it provide any structural support for the slate frame? It "looks" to be cosmetic, but I just didn't know.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I picked up a Gold Crown IV this week and its in pretty good shape besides missing the 4 angle brackets for the aprons and one cross-threaded t-nut and hex bolt on the stretcher, between the two leg supports. Searches on Google and AZ provided alot of stuff not related to the Gold Crown IV terms used in the manual.

Since it was cross-threaded, it was quite difficult to remove, and the small strip of wood the t-nut was set into was cracked. So I was going to cut a new piece of wood, install two new t-nuts and bolts and be good to go.

But while looking at the stretcher and noticing only 4 bolts hold it together with t-nuts, does it provide any structural support for the slate frame? It "looks" to be cosmetic, but I just didn't know.

Definitely structural. Without it, the legs could collapse end to end.

Just my $0.02.

TFT

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
Thanks for the response! I was thinking it was needed for the legs to be secure, but didnt know if it was needed for added frame support. That's probably a better way to word it on my end, lol. Seeing as how the wood inside on end was cracked, it probably wasnt doing as good a job as it could once it's repaired.

Also have to do the frame sag fix before installing. There's quite a few informative threads on GC IVs here. Much appreciated!!!

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It keeps the pedestals from pushing in or out. It doesn't hold any weight. You can use bolts with washers on both sides and a nut in the other side. Measure it all and go shopping. Nothing special about the T nuts structurally that a bolt can't do.

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
Got a new support piece cut to size today and glued and finish nailed it. Had some bolts in the garage that were of equal size to the originals as well Light years better than the old cracked piece. Thanks for the input guys! Can't wait to get this beast set up.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Might wanna put this in "Ask a Mechanic" section. Probably get more bites there.