Cyclop shutting down?

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read elsewhere that cyclop has shut down ? Does anyone know if this is true or not? It would be a real shame, they put a lot of money into sponsorships and advertising.

Edit -- just tried to go to their website and it says Closed..... www.cyclop-billiards.com

Last edited:

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope they keep the Hyperion's alive. I don't like the look of those dynasphere balls, they are way too busy and distracting.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like this set, and I'm especially interested in the template racks. Although the Turtle Rack still seems to be the go to for a template 7-Ball rack.

https://us.dynaspheres.com/item/pool-platinum-572-set/

Pool-Ball-Racks.jpg

Last edited:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Maybe they are discontinuing the Cyclop brand to focus on Dynashperes.

They have different sets that aren't so busy.

https://us.dynaspheres.com/products/pool/

Dear God, no, no, no...whyyyyyyyyy!!! Why the f--- does every company have to invent a new colour scheme? And for some reason they eliminated the green colour instead of the blue, now that 99% of all tournaments are played on blue cloth! Will the madness never end?

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dear God, no, no, no...whyyyyyyyyy!!! Why the f--- does every company have to invent a new colour scheme? And for some reason they eliminated the green colour instead of the blue, now that 99% of all tournaments are played on blue cloth! Will the madness never end?

I thought the same thing, change the 2 or 4 ball so they don't clash with each other on video. Even one of the 3 or 5 would have been a better choice for the grey color.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Really, you've never once played with someone colour blind? I'm not colour blind so maybe the blue should be changed instead, but I've always thought that the 6 and 7 were colours that should of been changed, but couldn't be due to the technology of the time. And as far as tournaments being played on blue cloth, I think that may have more to do with speeding up the game rather than efficiency as blue and red are two horrible colours to use.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Really, you've never once played with someone colour blind? I'm not colour blind so maybe the blue should be changed instead, but I've always thought that the 6 and 7 were colours that should of been changed, but couldn't be due to the technology of the time. And as far as tournaments being played on blue cloth, I think that may have more to do with speeding up the game rather than efficiency as blue and red are two horrible colours to use.

A friend of mine is colour blind. He plays only snooker and occationally it causes problems, especially with the brown and red balls. My father was colour blind but he didn't play cue sports. It caused some problems in his day to to day life though.

I feel for the people that have colour blindness, but in fairness I think ball sets should be coloured in a way that is easily distinguishable on the screen and the colour blind would allready be used to watching the numbers. I think the original Aramith tv set does a very good job in that regard. The traditional colours were problematic and on low res tv's you couldn't even tell the difference between the 2, 4, 7 or 8. It was a major issue. Of course tvs and monitors got a lot better, but then there is the Asian market where a number of people use their phones for viewings, and we're back in problem territory with the old colours.

I'm a traditionalist when it comes to colour for playing pool in the pool halls. I like the old stuff, Brunswick tables, green cloth, centennial balls, but I can certainly understand the people who have to take into consideration viewers watching on tiny screens. Personally, if it was up to me, we'd still used GCs with green cloth and centennial balls. It's such a beautiful combination.

Last edited:

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aren’t they closed for the virus issue?
That would be my first thought.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friend of mine is colour blind. He plays only snooker and occationally it causes problems, especially with the brown and red balls. My father was colour blind but he didn't play cue sports. It caused some problems in his day to to day life though.

I feel for the people that have colour blindness, but in fairness I think ball sets should be coloured in a way that is easily distinguishable on the screen and the colour blind would allready be used to watching the numbers. I think the original Aramith tv set does a very good job in that regard. The traditional colours were problematic and on low res tv's you couldn't even tell the difference between the 2, 4, 7 or 8. It was a major issue. Of course tvs and monitors got a lot better, but then there is the Asian market where a number of people use their phones for viewings, and we're back in problem territory with the old colours.

I'm a traditionalist when it comes to colour for playing pool in the pool halls. I like the old stuff, Brunswick tables, green cloth, centennial balls, but I can certainly understand the people who have to take into consideration viewers watching on tiny screens. Personally, if it was up to me, we'd still used GCs with green cloth and centennial balls. It's such a beautiful combination.

Honestly, with an obvious bias, I'd gladly welcome those tables back to replace these Diamomds, but that's clearly opinionated. As far as colour blindness, it's such a variable thing that I've even heard of people who only see in grey scale, so maybe why not stick with the same colours. That said, I do like the 7 ball being that colour of blue with that brand (it'd be better though if the 6 and 7 were swapped).

I don't know, whatever, just don't change the purple 4 into a purple 5 as that is clearly a lateral move with no regards to anything but sales (can't even really argue that).

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

I couldnt agree more, not only are the colors a fail but so are the designs and numbers. You couldnt give me a set of any of those, even if they were offered with a free bowl of soup and a hat. :D:D:D
I will gladly stick with my Centennials and Aramith Tournaments in traditional colors. I did break down and buy a Cyclops skittle set so I could familiarize myself with the colors when practicing, they were only $200

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
different colors work for tv viewing. for home the traditional colors are best.
even for tv use those colors are more confusing because few know what they are.

and new viewers will lose interest as they wont be able to follow the action. these ppv and companies are shooting themselves in the foot thinking they are so smart.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dynashere is not the parent co. of Cyclop, Xin Biing is. Dynasphere is just a distributor who has a company make their line of balls.

I think you may have misread my post. I did not say Dynashperes is the parent company of Cyclop. I said the parent company of Cyclop (Xin Biing) manufactures and sells the Dynashperes brand of balls.

æThe parent company of Cyclop just launched their new venture here in the US: Dynaspheres

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you may have misread my post. I did not say Dynashperes is the parent company of Cyclop. I said the parent company of Cyclop (Xin Biing) manufactures and sells the Dynashperes brand of balls.

æThe parent company of Cyclop just launched their new venture here in the US: Dynaspheres
I guess i was off base also. Apparently XingBing is just the maker. Cyclop is a brand owned by WeiluBilliardCo(make Peri, Eclat cues) in China. Dynasphere is owned by a Belgian co. that has Xing Bing ,make their line.