Shawn Azaris from Anchorage, Alaska

btown

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anybody ever heard of him? he beat johnny archer in the early 90's with a little weight i believe. im thinking mark griffon will know the name. was an exeptional player. if you know him or any stories please post.

Bill S

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark Griffin and I know him quite well. As far as we know, he is still in Anchorage and still playing some. Yes, he is a good player. Not sure if he plays as much as he used to. I have competed with him a lot over the years.

Bill Stock

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Didn't he run around a little with Big Arm John down here in the 48 back in the day. I do not know any stories but am pretty sure he did a stint with Big John and Janie.

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sean (Tony) Azares.

Last I saw him was 7-8 years ago - but I moved ouot of Alaska about then.

He was working down on the Kenai Peninsula in the fishing industry.

Short Hispanic - may 5'7" or so.
Played left handed - got way down on the ball.

The most amazing thing about him - when he was in stroke, he would get SOOOOO close to the cue ball on his warm up strokes that you could NOT see daylight! I mean he was within the thickness of paper!

If was strange to see.

He was an exceptional player. Used to hang around Shooters in Olathe back in early 1990's.

I heard (from him) that he beat Archer 2 times in a row in a Florida tour thing back in that time frame.

There is a good read in Gerald Huber's book: The Green Felt Jungle. Very good section on Azares.

Where did this interest come from??? Is he back in action??

Mark Griffin

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Mark Griffin
As far as I know hes still in town. I saw him in Feb or March.
He tried a game with a roadie passing through. He didnt like it too well.
He has the talent and ability, but hasnt been competitive in a while. Tonys worst enemy is Tony.
Chuck

btown

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Mark Griffin

Back around 1990 he stayed with us, my dad was a pool player for many years, he lived with us for 6months or so in Atlanta, we knew he moved back to Alaska working with fishing companies, but have not heard or seen from him in 20years.

My brother and I were only 6-7years at the time, Keith McCready and Shawn both stayed at our house once and argued over what was better lefties or righties.. me and my brother liked Sean somuch we both ended up playing left handed.. even tho we are both natural right handed.. Tony aka Sean, was a hell of a card shark also! We would sit in amazement as he would do the 3 card shuffle! He also had one of the best racks that everybody hated.. anyway his name is definately worth mention on here.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as I know hes still in town. I saw him in Feb or March.
He tried a game with a roadie passing through. He didnt like it too well.
He has the talent and ability, but hasnt been competitive in a while. Tonys worst enemy is Tony.
Chuck
Just passing thru AK?!!?

That is dedication!

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are a couple of Sean Azares stories. I first met Sean at Raytown Recreation in the KC area. He walked up while I was hitting some balls and wanted to play some cheap 8-ball. He had a plain jane Joss cue with a broken butt cap. I decided against it. Smart move on my part.

In 1987, Kansas City held the BCA national championships at the Park Place hotel. I was watching a young impressive player shoot balls. Sean walks up to him and they start wolfing at each other. Sean says "how about 10 a game?" and the young guy says "how about 20?" then Sean "how about 30?" and then the young guy "how about 40?" then Sean "how about 50?" and then the young guy "how about 60?". It was funny as they were getting louder each time they raised the bet. Finally, they decided on 60 a game 9 ball. The match lasted about an hour and the young guy put on a clinic beating Sean. The young guy turned out to be Jimmy "The Kid" Wetch.

Same tournament. Sean is playing Ermin Bullard from Texas in the tournament. I get down a 50 sweat bet on Sean. The 8 ball match goes hill - hill at 4 games a piece. Sean is shooting but gets out of line in the last game. He has a safety, shoots and hooks Ermin but the cue ball rocks back giving Ermin the edge of his object ball. Ermin wins the match. Later, they matched up playing 9 ball at a local establishment and Sean gets the cheese.

Final story about Sean. He matches up with a local a few years later playing a set of 9 ball on the 9 footers. The local has no idea who he is playing. Sean stalls but wins the first set 9-7. The local who fancies himself a snooker player figures he can't win in 9 ball. So he tells Sean, I'll play you some snooker and spot you 20 points. Sean looks over at us with a grin and says "I've got to give it a try". $400 lighter in the pockets, the local pulls up.

Darryl

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Dardusm -

Ask around about the last time Sean was in Shooters and then post what you find out here. It involved Whitey Walker.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sean was a pretty good shortstop. Jimmy Wetch was a world class player! Not in the same league. :wink:

Love The Game

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sean's Backer

I played in a bar box tournament in KC in the early 90s with several of the locals. I was working in the area and few people knew me. Sean won the tourney, Danny Hill was second, and I finished 3rd.

Sean's backer came up to me after we finished and tried to match us up. I declined but found out the backer lived very close to some relatives I had in the area. I even went to the guys house and looked at his cue collection.

I asked my relatives later that day if they knew the gentleman and they said yes. Really nice guy. I agreed.

About a month later I get a call that the backer had been paid an early morning visit from the DEA. Not suggesting Sean knew anything about anything, but I bought a cue from his stakehorse and thought Sean really had some talent.

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Met him in late 1990/early 1991 in Louisville. Around late 90s and early 2000 he became a 'christian'. I think that his heritage is from Philippines. Not giving out anymore info.:cool:

dogginda9

I need a vacation.
Silver Member
Sean was a pretty good shortstop. Jimmy Wetch was a world class player! Not in the same league. :wink:

I played them both back in the early 90's. Nothing expensive. One on the bar table the other on a 9 footer and I would agree with Jay's assessment 100%. I would add that Sean could certainly stay with Jimmy. He just couldn't stay ahead of Jimmy in my opinion.