cleaned my shaft with baby wipes

I cleaned my shaft with baby wipes and it cleaned it pretty good! So my question is, did i @#$% my shaft up in some way by doing this? I believe it was my wifes make up remover wipes and not baby wipes.

Kaiser Bob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do they have lanolen or baby oil in them? I think that might be better for the shaft than alcohol.

Or aloe vera! Shaft cleaner/conditioner in a handy wipe, smoothes your shaft and your hands at the same time, revolutionary!

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I cleaned my shaft with baby wipes and it cleaned it pretty good! So my question is, did i @#$% my shaft up in some way by doing this? I believe it was my wifes make up remover wipes and not baby wipes.
That's probably mostly alcohol. I carry alcohol swabs in my case - they clean great, don't raise the grain or risk warpage. 1"x1" swabs individually foil wrapped in boxes of 50 or more are available at any drug store for pennies each.

pj
chgo

That's probably mostly alcohol. I carry alcohol swabs in my case - they clean great, don't raise the grain or risk warpage. 1"x1" swabs individually foil wrapped in boxes of 50 or more are available at any drug store for pennies each.

pj
chgo

alright then! if Pj says there good to go, i will put them in my case. How often do you recommend i use them or it doesn't matter and i can wipe down a shaft daily if i wanted to?

Last edited:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
alright then! if Pj says there good to go, i will put them in my case. How often do you recommend i use them or it doesn't matter and i can wipe down a shaft daily if i wanted to?

I recomend that you use them every time the shaft poops on your hand.:ignore: Did I say poops?:ignore: Oh no. I said it again.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
you can just as well keep your hands clean.

take a barely damp cloth/paper towel and buff the shaft, then buff it with a dry one.

Worked for the old timers, works great for me. You don't have to buy anything and it just helps to keep that shaft sealed.......a good shaft will only get better doing this.

And its free of charge.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
If there is nothing in a wipe that will cause harm to a babies skin, I doubt it will hurt your shaft.

I carry a handful of the alcohol swabs for a quick fix. They're great for cleaning both shaft and ferrule.

Youse them, Magic eraser and cue wax and yer good to go.

tpdtom

Really Old School
Silver Member

take a barely damp cloth/paper towel and buff the shaft, then buff it with a dry one.

Worked for the old timers, works great for me. You don't have to buy anything and it just helps to keep that shaft sealed.......a good shaft will only get better doing this.

And its free of charge.

What ghost said...Tom

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a little surprised that alcohol wipes don't raise the grain of the wood... but having never tried them I can't naysay them. I'm going to have to experiment some!

21whiskey

Banned

would you please tell exactly the brand of wipe used.

maybe display a photo of wipe container. thanks

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I'm a little surprised that alcohol wipes don't raise the grain of the wood... but having never tried them I can't naysay them. I'm going to have to experiment some!

It does, but not much. After cleaning with the alcohol, let it dry for a couple of minutes, then fold a paper towel in half and vigorously rub down the shaft. This will blend (burnish) the surface and you're good to go. Add wax if you like. :smile:

P.S. Alcohol wipes, and the stuff you find in your medicine cabinet is usually less than 10% alcohol. For the best results, go to your friendly neighborhood Walgreen store and buy the stuff that is 91%, by volume. For under two bucks you can get a lifetime supply.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
The old timers around here like to use a dollar bill or a green scrubby. I suspect its like brushing your teeth. Its not the brand of toothpaste that does the work, but the brushing action that gets the teeth cleaned. Make sure you wipe off the excess moisture from the shaft.

Razor

Lex Parsimoniae
Silver Member

pj
chgo

I do exactly as PJ has indicated, and have for some time...have not had any problems and they clean well. No oils, aloe, lanolin, etc. Just alcohol wipes. I believe these are intended primarily to prep/clean a skin site for an injection and they are small as noted. No issues with grain raising here that I can feel, and I am fairly sensitive to such things (I think).

This, paired with a couple of trips to the restroom to wash my hands, every couple hours or so, (I also use the wet paper towel to grab the restroom door, so I don't have to touch the handle on the way out :grin:). I then also use the semi-wet paper towel to wipe down the shaft during play.

Together, this seems to work well enough for me, and I go for years without any other shaft maintenance of any kind. Good luck and best wishes.

Peace.

~Razor

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member

Before leaving the bathroom may be a good idea. :wink:

J

Andrewjoseph

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
greyghost said:

And its free of charge.

GG,

First, i saw your videos on YouTube with forcefollow, gray
stuff!

Anyway, so when you go too the Pool hall you just wet a towel in the sink? And you said this will actually improve the shaft?

-A.

Posted from Azbilliards.com App for Android

javi2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of the "oldtimers" used to rub lighter fluid on the shaft to seal it. :eek: "The Miz" actually recommends this in his pocket billiards book. I tried it back in the day and it actually works. There's a whole lot more options available today..........:cool: