Odd before 8-ball (new rule variation proposal)

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
In the talk of the upcoming TAR 8-ball we are again in a close poll on "take what you make" vs "open after the break".

There are arguments for both sides on that debate and the negatives that exist on either option are real and exist. It is a crappy decision due to this, either way you vote the game has slight flaws (too easy, too many runouts, too much emphasis on the break in OATB) vs (too much luck added on the break with TWYM).

I was thinking up ways to add some element of added difficulty to the game and figure what if the final ball shot before the 8-ball, the "out ball" as many players know it, had to be an odd numbered ball?

This slight alteration is fairly simple to track for the viewers and players, and in some racks it may not affect the rack when the natural "out ball" is in fact an odd numbered ball anyhow, but when the odd numbered balls of your set do not match up for a natural out ball the players would have to plan for that second to last shot before the 8-ball and find that odd numbered "out-ball" to play onto.

In effect the game would still be "open after the break", but if you shoot stripes then your last ball shot down before the 8-ball would have to be the 9, 11, 13, or 15, if you shoot solids the ball before the 8 would need to be the 1, 3, 5, or 7 ball.

Both stripes and solids have 4 odd numbered balls, so in that regard this makes the two "suits" equal at the start of play. You would need to use one of those 4 odd balls in your "suit" as your last ball before the 8 and play a pattern for that accordingly.

There would have to be some rules on what happens if a person runs out of odd numbered balls in their run or a tricky opponent combos the last odd numbered ball in before their opponents suit is done. I am thinking that at the completion of a players turn they get one odd numbered ball of their suit spotted if they have no odd balls on the table but have remaining even numbered balls or shot the last ball of their suit down and it was even. If you shoot the last ball of your suit down and it is an even ball you would be forced to play safe as you would not be allowed to shoot the 8-ball next.

Thoughts?

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I have a buddy who always wants to throw in new rules about having to bank the 8 or make it in a specific pocket based on some earlier event. Like I tell him...." Fine, but first you need to come up with a name for it because it isn't 8-Ball anymore"

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
I have a buddy who always wants to throw in new rules about having to bank the 8 or make it in a specific pocket based on some earlier event. Like I tell him...." Fine, but first you need to come up with a name for it because it isn't 8-Ball anymore"

AMEN!

randyg

Mr. Wiggles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Canadian Eight

Guess you could call it Canadian Eight!

terminal_288

@terminal_288
Silver Member
Was about to say "leave Canada out of these shenanigans" but then noticed CELTIC is from Canada, So how about "Alberta 8-ball ;)

FairladyZ

The Boss Stooge
Staff member
Silver Member
I've been out of the pool circle for a long time......but I'm reading a lot of this kind of thing.... Doesn't anyone just play a good 'ol game of 8-ball anymore? Not trying to start an argument, but why all the rule changes and over-complicating things?

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I've been out of the pool circle for a long time......but I'm reading a lot of this kind of thing.... Doesn't anyone just play a good 'ol game of 8-ball anymore? Not trying to start an argument, but why all the rule changes and over-complicating things?
Haven't you heard?....pool is broken.

FairladyZ

The Boss Stooge
Staff member
Silver Member
Apparently.... My thing was always race to 5 for 25 9-ball tourneys amongst friends.....but it was always fairly loose regardless of what was played....just sayin'....maybe I'm still too much of a nubb around here to know any better. Spent most of today watching football and reading around here.

OT
Packers are headed to the Playoffs!! YAY!!
/OT

Celtic

Silver Member

Because people will not admit that the tables we play the game on are too easy and shift to 4 inch pockets and preferably a 10 foot table.

I am a fan of traditional 8-ball first and foremost but it simply will not work at the pro ranks on a 4.5 inch cut 9-foot.

Ultimately I want to see normal open after the break 8-ball on 10 foot diamonds with Fatboy rail cut pockets of 4 1/8th inch. When we get those playing conditions the game as it stands will challenge the pros perfectly.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOR38552MJA

Times have changed
My game is getting worse
The Cyclop cueball just won't obey
I just want to fart and curse!

Should we blame lack of low deflection tips?
Or blame the Earl's sporty grips?

Or should we blame the lack of dress code on livestream TV?
No, blame 8-ball rules!
Blame 8-ball rules!

It seems that everything's gone wrong
Since handicapped 8-ball came along

Blame handicapped pool!
Blame 8-ball rules!

They're not even using CTE anyway

My son could've stayed a strong SL4 yes its true
His handicap went up, now he's getting roasted up like a piggy on a barbecue

Should we blame the player for NOT winning his matches?
Should we blame the moderator
for letting the league bashing threads to expire?

Heck, no!

Blame 8-ball rules!

With no last pocket hullabaloo
And that new Amsterdam T-shirt too

EVERYONE: Blame 8-ball! Shame on APA/BCA/TAP/VNEA for...
The balls we must overcut
The Women Pros we must bash
The laughter and fun must all be undone
We must blame them and cause a fuss
Before somebody thinks of laying the blame on us!

Last edited:

FairladyZ

The Boss Stooge
Staff member
Silver Member
Ok, while I've never played pool on a professional level, I'm not that good and never will be.....I just love getting together with friends, the comradery, jokes, small stakes bets, and loads of fun that comes from this game....all this in my eyes would take the fun out of it....and if its not fun, why bother.... Just my 2 cents.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Too confusing for the viewer.

How about moving the break back? It is now required that one break with the cue ball starting behind diamond six, which is where the head-string is located.

If players were required to break from behind diamond seven, it would make the game more difficult than it is today and the game would remain recognizable to those who play the conventional version of the game.

Celtic

Silver Member
Too confusing for the viewer.

How about moving the break back? It is now required that one break with the cue ball starting behind diamond six, which is where the head-string is located.

If players were required to break from behind diamond seven, it would make the game more difficult than it is today and the game would remain recognizable to those who play the conventional version of the game.

That would indeed make it a lot tougher, the balls would cluster way more.

I can only imagine SVB's reaction after perfecting his break after years and years of practice. That single rule would completely obliterate his advantage in future TAR matches. I dare say he would suddenly be the underdog in a lot of them.

MSchaffer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not that they'll play this way, but a cool variation on the game is to replace the 8-ball with a second cue ball. Each player uses a different cueball, and once you've made your set of balls, you have to sink the opponent's cue ball instead of the eight ball.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
The only good variation of 8 ball I've ever played is what they called "Coal Miners" 8ball... I'm sure there were diff names to the same game, but that is what they called in in Chicago, or at least what my father called it ;)

Just 8 ball, but the 1 ball MUST be made in the right side pocket, and the 15 ball MUST be made in the left side pocket. Does not matter when you make it, but it must be made eventually if you wanna shoot the 8ball. If you shoot it in the wrong pocket, it gets spotted on the top rail, froze to the diamond. If your opponent makes the ball for you, then same place... but if he fouls by hitting your ball first to make it, it gets spotted normally.

Nice playing combos and caroms to send your opponents 1 or 15 ball to the top rail or stick in a cluster somewhere.... it was a challenging game, but it also was a more fun 8ball game with friends :)

Banks

Banned
Because people will not admit that the tables we play the game on are too easy and shift to 4 inch pockets and preferably a 10 foot table.

I am a fan of traditional 8-ball first and foremost but it simply will not work at the pro ranks on a 4.5 inch cut 9-foot.

Ultimately I want to see normal open after the break 8-ball on 10 foot diamonds with Fatboy rail cut pockets of 4 1/8th inch. When we get those playing conditions the game as it stands will challenge the pros perfectly.

I'd like to see the Little League World Series play at Fenway.

For all but .01% of players, the tables are fine. Just as the MC players. :eek:

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Well if we're talking TAR, JCIN said something like "No funky new rule suggestions, please just pick one".
So I guess this would have to be for some future 8 ball matchup.

Here's the thing.
The complaint is: "The game is too easy for pros".
Assuming it's true, who does that hurt or bother?

Do the pros get sick of running out 50-80% of the racks?
Is anyone *really* unhappy running rack after rack? Sounds like fun to me.
For them, making 8 ball look like a joke is probably very satisfying.

But ok, we're not talking about "too easy" in terms of keeping the pros
from getting bored. We want to make the spectators not get bored.

To that end, I say: alternate breaks. I wasn't bored at all watching Shane vs. Biado.
How about the rest of you? Hated it??

IMO it added all sorts of tension because it creates a new standard.
Instead of "Running out is common",
the standard is now "Running out is absolutely critical".

We can work the other way to reduce runouts. In that case, bank the 8 or last pocket does the trick.
Maybe make-it-take-it also. But I'd be perfectly happy with standard rules and the right
exciting break format.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I've played with the idea of One Shot Inning Eight Ball. Player gets one shot at the table before giving the table to his opponent. It creates a big change in strategy (more defense, placing your balls in front of pockets, etc).

The objective would become pocket a ball and leave the CB safe.

Certainly solves the "easy run-outs" problem.

Banks

Banned
<-- wondering if the dart players want a moving target

<-- also wondering if bowling lanes should be longer