Boyes pulling a very questionable move on Daulton

bicki

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi there

I am watching the US Open second round match: Karl Boyes vs Shannon Daulton... At the score of 6:6 Shannon was clearing the table, made a bad position from the 8 to the 9 and subsequently missed the 9. Boyes getting to the table with a long rail bank. It was set up perfect though and one cud expect players of his caliber to make it. He missed it badly on the wrong side (not pro) and shot it way to hard and left Shannon a decent cut on the 9.

Shannon made the 9 and was getting to rack and placed his cue on the table when whitey was still in motion. It touched the cue on its last revolutions. Whitey wud have never gotten close to any pocket! Suddenly Boyes starts arguing with everybody, finally succeeding that a foul was called on Daulton!

I am honestly disappointed from Boyes pulling that move! He shud be ashamed enforcing this rule, when it was obvious to everybody that Whitey wud have never reached any pocket!

just my 2 cents!
bicki

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shannon shouldn't have let that happen and Boyes shouldn't have called it. I'm pissed off at both of them! ;)

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Hi there

I am watching the US Open second round match: Karl Boyes vs Shannon Daulton... At the score of 6:6 Shannon was clearing the table, made a bad position from the 8 to the 9 and subsequently missed the 9. Boyes getting to the table with a long rail bank. It was set up perfect though and one cud expect players of his caliber to make it. He missed it badly on the wrong side (not pro) and shot it way to hard and left Shannon a decent cut on the 9.

Shannon made the 9 and was getting to rack and placed his cue on the table when whitey was still in motion. It touched the cue on its last revolutions. Whitey wud have never gotten close to any pocket! Suddenly Boyes starts arguing with everybody, finally succeeding that a foul was called on Daulton!

I am honestly disappointed from Boyes pulling that move! He shud be ashamed enforcing this rule, when it was obvious to everybody that Whitey wud have never reached any pocket!

just my 2 cents!
bicki

Terrible move. And especially since they had to use the recording to find it out. Thus now they have set a precedent for players on the TV table being able to use the recordings while the other players on outside tables don't have that.

ososlow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny that Boyes acted like Dechaine was crazy for calling him out when shooting the final ball in the 14.1 tourney without racking the balls first, What a wanker

HelloBaby-

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi there

just my 2 cents!
bicki

Same way Shane called foul on Orcullo when Orcullo took a ball out of the pocket to measure a shot. I could've told Orcullo that he couldn't do that and move on.
Shane and Karl did not cheat, they enforced the rule. Not very fair play but hey, that's how they roll.
FYI, people even cheer for guys like Earl who disrespect and disturb his opponents and the audience, that's pool moral standard for you. What Shane and Karl do is nothing compare to Earl.

Last edited:

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
You know what. I agree with you in one sense. If I were his opponent, I wouldn't have called a foul provided that the cue ball was safe from scratching.

However, there may be another factor in play here. It's called Karma. I'm not saying that I believe in the mystical force.

What I'm saying is that, in one of the last IPT events that was held in Vegas, I witnessed in person, Daulton calling the exact same foul against his opponent! No, I'm not kidding. In fact, over the years I have always remembered that, and every time Shannon was playing I have thought about that move that he did in the IPT tournament (where huge prize money was being offered -- although I don't believe Shannon even got into the money).

So there you have it. What comes around goes around....

EDIT: Wow, Shannon just brushed the 4 ball and Boyes called another foul for ball in hand.

Last edited:
Hi there

just my 2 cents!
bicki

I know boyes very well and this move does not surprise me in the least

BJTyler747

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi there

just my 2 cents!
bicki

Total d'bag move from a total d'bag..

FWIW...Exact same thing happens about 200 times during every major tournament (balls are touched prior to their full stop)

In fact the exact same thing hapenned during 2013 Mosconi Cup....Neils laid his cue on the table immediately after the final shot...and the cueball stopped directly on his stick....but of course nobody (including the referee) said anything (and imo they should not have).

HelloBaby-

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know what. I agree with you in one sense. If I were his opponent, I wouldn't have called a foul provided that the cue ball was safe from scratching.

However, there may be another factor in play here. It's called Karma. I'm not saying that I believe in the mystical force.

What I'm saying is that, in one of the last IPT events that was held in Vegas, I witnessed in person, Daulton calling the exact same foul against his opponent! No, I'm not kidding. In fact, over the years I have always remembered that, and every time Shannon was playing I have thought about that move that he did in the IPT tournament (where huge prize money was being offered -- although I don't believe Shannon even got into the money).

So there you have it. What comes around goes around....

EDIT: Wow, Shannon just brushed the 4 ball and Boyes called another foul for ball in hand.

Wow that's great news haha, karma is for real.

WoodyMPW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Terrible move. And especially since they had to use the recording to find it out. Thus now they have set a precedent for players on the TV table being able to use the recordings while the other players on outside tables don't have that.

I think it's worse, no precedent is set. Last night when requesting to use review they were denied.

Txstang1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it's a gentleman's game. weak move , imo. I already didn't like boyes and now I really don't. I didn't see what happen with the 4 ball on the last rack, but that sounded weak too. it's alright though, he doesn't have a chance at winning this tourney.

Last edited:

gordml

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi there

just my 2 cents!
bicki

I watched the whole thing - it was the nittiest move Ive ever seen. Shannon had already racked the balls , was set to break and then Boyes pulled the move..

Another thing didnt this happen at the mosconi cup with Neils F?
The ref moved Neils cue so there wouldn't be a problem....

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I think it's worse, no precedent is set. Last night when requesting to use review they were denied.

Fully agree and also I think that it's awful that this event does not have referees at every table.

The WPA should NEVER sanction an event which doesn't have a referee for every match.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same way Shane called foul on Orcullo when Orcullo took a ball out of the pocket to measure a shot. I could've told Orcullo that he couldn't do that and move on.
Shane and Karl did not cheat, they enforced the rule. Not very fair play but hey, that's how they roll.
FYI, people even cheer for guys like Earl who disrespect and disturb his opponents and the audience, that's pool moral standard for you. What Shane and Karl do is nothing compare to Earl.

I think what Shane did was very different, Orcullo was looking to gain an unfair advantage by doing that, whether knowing it was against the rules or not, that was an act that could/would have an effect on the outcome of the game.

This situation is just silly to call in my opinion, it sounds like it was obvious the cue stick contact wasn't going to have any effect on the outcome.

I think what Shane did was very different, Orcullo was looking to gain an unfair advantage by doing that, whether knowing it was against the rules or not, that was an act that could/would have an effect on the outcome of the game.

This situation is just silly to call in my opinion, it sounds like it was obvious the cue stick contact wasn't going to have any effect on the outcome.

don't pay any attention to the svb haters.....they are just bitter he is going to win his fourth open in a row

HelloBaby-

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched the whole thing - it was the nittiest move Ive ever seen. Shannon had already racked the balls , was set to break and then Boyes pulled the move..
Another thing didnt this happen at the mosconi cup with Neils F?
The ref moved Neils cue so there wouldn't be a problem....

Referee likes Reist (I believe) and Michella don't allow these incidents to ruin the turn-out of a match. They are the one who justify the sportsmanship on the table. Michella said one time that she did not call a foul (in the last Mosconi Cup in Las Vegas 2 years ago I believe) when a player performed a cut-break (which was no allowed that year) and she said she had a reason for that. I supposed she considered it was unintentional.

HelloBaby-

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I agree. My point is about sportsmanship and moral code, is it what we are discussing ? I said I could have told Orcullo in the 1st place that he couldn't do that and move on instead of letting that happen and call the foul.

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Boyes may be my least liked pro player. Poor sport all the way around, and seems to do anything to get an edge, including bending the rules.