where to find pre made inlays?

TILT9

Banned
looking for a good source of premade mop notched diamonds and varying materials on a small scale ( 1 or 2 cues at a time).

Nuts4Tascarellas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Inlays

Guitar parts vendors. That's what they use on the necks. You can find notched diamonds, dots, etc. Do an EBay search and there are thousands. Or you could try Masecraft.

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm wondering how you're going to accurately cut the pockets for these pre-made inlays.
???
Gary

Scratchy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To cut pockets from purchased inlays, you can put them on a flatbed scanner, get a .pdf and use a program like Corel to outline trace the .pdf bitmap, then export as .dxf. Run the .dxf into a cam program to get Gcode. That's the 'outline form' of the approach. Takes a couple trial and error tests to dial it in and finesse the .dxf for fit. I bought some precut diamonds and used this approach. It can be as accurate as you have patience to make it.

HIH

Mac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To cut pockets from purchased inlays, you can put them on a flatbed scanner, get a .pdf and use a program like Corel to outline trace the .pdf bitmap, then export as .dxf. Run the .dxf into a cam program to get Gcode. That's the 'outline form' of the approach. Takes a couple trial and error tests to dial it in and finesse the .dxf for fit. I bought some precut diamonds and used this approach. It can be as accurate as you have patience to make it.

HIH

Mac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you had a CNC - wouldn't you just cut your own inlays in the first place?

Dale

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I understand it people like Balabushka and Balner did it by hand with chisels and razors...and they purchased the inlays.

But as was stated the rules preclude discussion of suppliers.

I would think a Google search for "luthier inlays" would provide all one would need anyway.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was not aware that I was breaking a rule. I was just trying to help.

From the sticky at the top of the page called

Sticky: Rules for posting in "Ask the Cuemaker"
Mr. Wilson
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Supply sources can be asked for, but all replies should be sent in the form of Private Messages. "

HTH
Dale