Celebrations on top of pool tables?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious who started the tradition of jumping on top of a pool table to celebrate major wins? Was it Jason Shaw a few years ago at the U.S. Open 9-ball Championships or had it been done previously?

Yes, I know a quality commercial table can handle the weight of someone on it and even the weight of 7 adult males jumping up and down on it as we just saw with the American team during their Mosconi cup celebration. However, as a room owner, there is something about it that bothers me - kind of disrespecting the sacred ground/surface of the pool table that you have just won your title on. Not to mention that accidentally coming down with your foot and the entire weight of your body on the cushion rubber which could’ve easily happened and could very likely break the cushion rubber loose from the sub rail, or worse.

I just don’t think it’s a very good example / look to set for someone watching who might think they could get away with doing this when winning a tournament in another environment, such as at a pool hall, where it clearly would not be an acceptable thing to do.

I realize that most here will likely criticize my thoughts on this, but is there anyone out there who agrees with me?

jeephawk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not criticizing - just an opinion!

Surprisingly, I thought it was appropriate. Limited use table, not anyone playing on it after that, unless they sell it for some $$$ in which case I'd think any necessary repairs would be made.

Doubt that will inspire folks in pool halls.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I agree, no need to do that. Plus, the table is being auctioned off.

Trent from Toledo

Just curious who started the tradition of jumping on top of a pool table to celebrate major wins? Was it Jason Shaw a few years ago at the U.S. Open 9-ball Championships or had it been done previously?

Yes, I know a quality commercial table can handle the weight of someone on it and even the weight of 7 adult males jumping up and down on it as we just saw with the American team during their Mosconi cup celebration. However, as a room owner, there is something about it that bothers me - kind of disrespecting the sacred ground/surface of the pool table that you have just won your title on. Not to mention that accidentally coming down with your foot and the entire weight of your body on the cushion rubber which could’ve easily happened and could very likely break the cushion rubber loose from the sub rail, or worse.

I just don’t think it’s a very good example / look to set for someone watching who might think they could get away with doing this when winning a tournament in another environment, such as at a pool hall, where it clearly would not be an acceptable thing to do.

I realize that most here will likely criticize my thoughts on this, but is there anyone out there who agrees with me?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Been playing 40yrs and other than a couple times on tv/stream i've never seen it. Worrying about nothing in my book. NEVER seen it in a room other than the crawl-on-the-table play in New Orleans.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First time I recall was Appleton doing it.

All the shit the euros got fed a couple years ago for (maybe even a single player) doing it, the acceptance of the whole is team up there is hypocritical to me.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Strickland-Story-1.png

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
First time I recall was Appleton doing it.

All the shit the euros got fed a couple years ago for (maybe even a single player) doing it, the acceptance of the whole is team up there is hypocritical to me.

Same here. Completely agree. He's the first I remember. I disliked it then, and dislike it now perhaps even more with a group jumping around like monkeys on the table.

On a side note I was very happy to see Skyler go shake fillers hand within a few seconds of sinking the final 9. It kind of canceled out the early celebration to me.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Is that pic of Earl from 2002 or something like that? I think I watched that match on YouTube. If so then he was the first stupid ass to jump on the table I can remember.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I don' t care for it at all. Don't they know some of us enjoy eating our lunch on a clean table.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Can you imagine a golfer trashing the 18th green with a victory dance?

If I wanted to buy a Rasson table, it wouldn’t be that one....

If the players don’t respect their own game, who will?

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you imagine a golfer trashing the 18th green with a victory dance?

If I wanted to buy a Rasson table, it wouldn’t be that one....

If the players don’t respect their own game, who will?

If they were only on the table surface-not a biggie but several of them stepped right on the rails! I wouldnt buy that table now unless i got it DIRT cheap!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Dancing on top of the table goes back quite a way. I recall Karen Corr dancing an Irish jig on the table after a great win about a decade ago. Highly doubt she was the first to dance on the table.

Darren Appleton also ascended onto the table in rowdy celebration after he won
the World 9-ball Championship in what I believe was 2012.

Personally, I love these on-the-table celebrations. We want our champions to get as excited as possible after a big win, and these celebrations add to the flavor of any event.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There’s three things I don’t like: jumping up on a pool table, cues made of unnatural materials, and kids getting on my lawn. :thumbup:

Just kidding ChrisNC, it makes me cringe when I see it, I think they’re going to stand on a ball (which were still there rolling on the table after Sky’s early combo) and slip and break their backs. But I’m sure the promoters and crowd love it.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just wonder if there was anything from this year's Mosconi Cup that the OP didn't complain about?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree, no need to do that. Plus, the table is being auctioned off.

Trent from Toledo
Yes, this table will eventually belong to someone. I guess the question is, would the new owner love to brag about the fact that this was the very table the 2019 Mosconi Cup was played on and won on by the US team and that the entire seven man squad jumped up and down on it in celebration? At the very least, I assume the new owner would require new cloth on the bed and rails and insist on a close inspection to make sure there was no damage to the cushion rubbers, the sub rails and the bonding between the two, and if so, the necessary repairs done.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it’s not my table and the owner of the table doesn’t mind, it’s not for me to judge.

Visually it makes a compelling scene for TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just wonder if there was anything from this year's Mosconi Cup that the OP didn't complain about?
I assume you’re referring to my previous post criticizing Skyler’s premature celebration. I guess it’s asking too much in your opinion for the player to first pocket the match winning ball, then immediately go to shake their opponent’s hand, before celebrating the victory with your team? Sorry, I guess I’m old school.