Suggestions for a home pool table

sy1840

Registered
I’m considering getting a pool table for the basement. The dimensions of the room are 14x20. I am not in a hurry, so willing to wait for the right one but need some help figuring out what to look for.

I prefer playing on a 9’ table, but have to drive 40 miles to play on a Diamond. I can’t stand bar boxes and will usually wait for a 9’ table to open up even if 8’ tables are available.

That being said, from what I have found searching on these forums, a 9’ table in my space is not ideal. If you were in my shoes, what would be the ideal size/brand/approx price would you be looking at?

I want something nice but <$1k preferably. It’s going to be primarily for my own practice and not expecting others to play very often so not concerned about seating space.

Thanks!!

Scott

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Basic rule is a pool take 300 square feet, you room is perfect fir a 4.5 X 9.0, look for a Gold Crown some one don't want, check Craig list, some time they will be free, or under $500.00.

Then you need to find a table mechanic to setup, level, and of course do new cloth & maybe replace rails.

Another $300.00 - $500.00.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Pool table's width + ~10' (5 feet per side for the cue) is the minimum. That means no chairs, tables, or anything that you can't move quickly.

9' x 4.5' = 19' x 14.5'
8' x 4' = 18' x 14'
7' x 3.5' = 17' x 13.5'

Hang on for a table, they really don't have much in the way of resale. I see 9' tables here for $400 quite often.

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
I don't think that you'll be too disappointed with a 9' table in that space. So long as the table is centered across the width, you would have 59" from the nose of the cushion to the wall. A standard cue is 58".

If it were me, I'd buy a 52" cue, for the rare occasion that you are close to the side rail, and shooting straight across the table.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Basic rule is a pool take 300 square feet, you room is perfect fir a 4.5 X 9.0, look for a Gold Crown some one don't want, check Craig list, some time they will be free, or under $500.00.

Then you need to find a table mechanic to setup, level, and of course do new cloth & maybe replace rails.

GOOD luck finding a Gold Crown in the $500 range that isn't a beat-up pos needing a LOT of work. A decent one will run from $800 if you're lucky to $1500, plus set-up and new cloth(and possibly cushions).

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
GOOD luck finding a Gold Crown in the $500 range that isn't a beat-up pos needing a LOT of work. A decent one will run from $800 if you're lucky to $1500, plus set-up and new cloth(and possibly cushions).

Yep, I agree. I assume that some of you mean new cushions when you say “New rails”. Big difference in price of putting new cushions vs. new rails, or having rails reworked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
300-500 for setup, correct? What would I be looking at for Simonis cloth and new rails?

Only gold crown I see on CL right now is this one for $6k :rolleyes:
https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/spo/d/issaquah-brunswick-gold-crown-table/7084908324.html

Pricing of new cushions and Simonis would depend on the rubber, usually on a GC folks are putting on either Artemis K-55 profile (350 bucks), or Brunswick Super Speed (170 bucks), and the 860 Simonis (250 bucks). This is all provided that your rails are good to go, not stapled out, pocket facings not mushroomed with wrong angles, pockets are desired size, sub rail has the correct bevel for modern cushions, and of course labor on top of this if you are getting it professionally done.

If it needs extensive rail rework, which is typical of the older GCs (1 and 2 with old monarch cushion profile) then you are probably looking at a min of 1200.00 plus shipping to get the rails professionally done with new sub rails and ready to install.

In my humble opinion the 6K price tag is not all that outrageous if the table is in mint condition with the right mechanic working the rails to what I desire. These projects can turn into a money pit if you get the wrong table. Trust me on that one.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Pricing of new cushions and Simonis would depend on the rubber, usually on a GC folks are putting on either Artemis K-55 profile (350 bucks), or Brunswick Super Speed (170 bucks), and the 860 Simonis (250 bucks). This is all provided that your rails are good to go, not stapled out, pocket facings not mushroomed with wrong angles, pockets are desired size, sub rail has the correct bevel for modern cushions, and of course labor on top of this if you are getting it professionally done.

If it needs extensive rail rework, which is typical of the older GCs (1 and 2 with old monarch cushion profile) then you are probably looking at a min of 1200.00 plus shipping to get the rails professionally done with new sub rails and ready to install.

In my humble opinion the 6K price tag is not all that outrageous if the table is in mint condition with the right mechanic working the rails to what I desire. These projects can turn into a money pit if you get the wrong table. Trust me on that one.
All those costs on a used table are possible but not likely. A run of the mill GC IV like the one listed is worth about half the asking price if that. It still has to be moved and set up. Now you're paying new Diamond money for a 15 year old Brunswick.

He wants extra because it is leveled?

Sent from the future.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All those costs on a used table are possible but not likely. A run of the mill GC IV like the one listed is worth about half the asking price if that. It still has to be moved and set up. Now you're paying new Diamond money for a 15 year old Brunswick.

He wants extra because it is leveled?

Sent from the future.

I understand what you are saying and to clarify what I was saying. The best GC restoration table could easily be north of 6K. A new Diamond vs. old Brunswick means nothing to me since I would take an old classic restored by a Mark Gregory level technician any day over any new table. I admit I didn’t open the GC for sale link, I was just giving an example of what a top end GC could cost. I do realize that I’m in the minority.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

OMG!

Do I even have to say it?!

If you do the opposite of what this guy says- every time- you'll be choosing the right option, every time.

Seriously.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I understand what you are saying and to clarify what I was saying. The best GC restoration table could easily be north of 6K. A new Diamond vs. old Brunswick means nothing to me since I would take an old classic restored by a Mark Gregory level technician any day over any new table. I admit I didn’t open the GC for sale link, I was just giving an example of what a top end GC could cost. I do realize that I’m in the minority.

Admittedly mine was set up by me, not Mark Gregory, has standard issue and not pro-feshnal pockets but even after shipping from 6 states away and buying new 860...I don't have $3500 in this. I do agree actually that a great no excuses (mine has a few excuses) Gold Crown can push $6000 all in and I also would take one over a Diamond even if the cost was the same. I have nothing against Diamond but am nostalgic for a Gold Crown.
5eed8c5e88157fe6beabfd6621b4225b.jpg

Sent from the future.

sy1840

Registered
Admittedly mine was set up by me, not Mark Gregory, has standard issue and not pro-feshnal pockets but even after shipping from 6 states away and buying new 860...I don't have $3500 in this. I do agree actually that a great no excuses (mine has a few excuses) Gold Crown can push $6000 all in and I also would take one over a Diamond even if the cost was the same. I have nothing against Diamond but am nostalgic for a Gold Crown.
5eed8c5e88157fe6beabfd6621b4225b.jpg

Sent from the future.

Just read your remodel thread, love what you did with the place. :D

sy1840

Registered
So the FB one I posted earlier is about 2.5 hrs away, asking 1500.

Do I go take a look or just setup with an installer who can go pick it up, deliver and install it?

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i would buy a gold crown if i were you
shop around but when you get it you have the best

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So the FB one I posted earlier is about 2.5 hrs away, asking 1500.

Do I go take a look or just setup with an installer who can go pick it up, deliver and install it?

That table looks sweet! I think I'd pull the trigger on that deal.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You are correct. I bought my table for $400. After cosmetic restoration, extended subrails, new rubber, new drop pockets and Simonis 860HR I'm in it for about $2,700 with the end result being a table that should last at least my lifetime.

49622667162_283e6b60a9_c.jpg

49603463506_8781ef3ab1_c.jpg

To answer the OP question: get a 9' table and don't look back. Don't skimp; think of it as a one time purchase.