Getting Shape Over Traffic

dfweyer

Play it safe...
Silver Member
16jolxh.jpg

Are you very successful in getting shape on this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFI1D7-47Tk

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
16jolxh.jpg

Are you very successful in getting shape on this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFI1D7-47Tk

I have had to resort to that type of shot before. I would rather not if I could avoid it but if there is no other reasonable choice why not. I'd say I'm 50/50 at best on that shot.

The reason I dont like it is that you end up transferring a lot of spin onto the object ball and it will have a tendency to come back out of the pocket. (at least when I shoot it)

It's a creative way to get out of a tuff spot though, nice shot.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are actually a few correct ways to get on the 8 from here. Of course, each shot comes with its own problems so I'd actually have to be standing over the shot to make a decision here but these are the shots I'd consider:

1. Carom the 4 off the 10. This SHOULD straighten out the path of the cue-ball and allow me to miss the cluster completely. It's the ideal path to take but if there's any chance I'll clip that 15-ball, I'll have to consider something else. On big pockets, I'm going to strongly consider this approach.

2. Pocket the 4 clean and run into the cluster firm. This shot looks more appealing in the diagram than the picture. If I can make sure I run into the 14-ball first with speed, I should get a favorable carom off the 15 to bring me closer to the 8. I may even use a little jack-up draw to see if I can delay the draw action a little. On new cloth where I can anticipate a little extra roll (which is all I'll really need), I will strongly consider this approach.

3. The jump-shot. You can actually jump the cue-ball off the 4. Doing this requires a firm stroke and you'll miss the cluster completely. The only problem is, your cue-ball will be racing a bit so you might consider trying to jump with a little draw and see if you can slow down the cueball and/or run into either the 12 or 13. On slow cloth where the cueball is going to lose momentum quickly, I'll strongly consider this approach.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
it's a cool shot, easy to forget this option until you've tried it a few times.

A real man of course will cut it in the corner with heavy low left and go three rails, threading between the 11-9.