rule question

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing league 8 ball.
Player is stroking and touches tip to cue ball but shoots anyway and pockets ball.
Foul.
Does pocketed ball stay down or is spotted?

seanjonsean

Otanisan Cues
Silver Member
Depends on league, depends on house rules ,but normally it's a foul and of course loss ,I mean u spot ball with CB in hand ,ure gonna win

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends on league, depends on house rules ,but normally it's a foul and of course loss ,I mean u spot ball with CB in hand ,ure gonna win

That's quite an assumption.

Any time you wanna bet on winning with bih and you let me set up the balls...ugotaction!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Playing league 8 ball. ... Does pocketed ball stay down or is spotted?
I believe all major 8 ball leagues have rules designed for coin-op tables. That means that you never spot an object ball with the exceptions in some leagues of spotting the 8 ball if made on the break and a settling ball that falls in.

Which league are you asking about?

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BCA rules: jumped balls and illegally pocketed balls stay down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BCA rules: jumped balls and illegally pocketed balls stay down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So a player can intentionally commit the foul and the ball stays down and he is awarded a point on a foul?
Doesn't seem right.

Fore Rail

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So a player can intentionally commit the foul and the ball stays down and he is awarded a point on a foul?
Doesn't seem right.

Tournament or league match your team needs 1 more ball to win. You are at the table. The last remaining ball of your group is wired to a pocket in front of your opponent's object ball.

In that situation you purposely foul shooting at your opponents ball, pocketing your ball to win the match.

Can work in your favor sometimes as well.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a double hit foul, player's inning ends.

According to WPA 8 ball rules, the ball stays down:

"3.7 Spotting Balls. If the eight ball is pocketed or driven off the table on the break, it will be spotted or the balls will be re-racked. (See 3.3 Break Shot and 1.4 Spotting Balls.) No other object ball is ever spotted."

Does the play get a point for that? I guess that would depend on league scoring rules. I guess they would.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Are you assuming the ball was the last ball down? Dude still has to run out.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doesn't seem right.

In BCA rules, their language seems to explicitly make that point.

"2. Jumped object balls and illegally pocketed balls are not returned to the table but do count in favor of the player with that group."

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Update: My reply, below, and the author of reply #13, may be incorrect. I can't find the quoted text anywhere in the current BCA rules.

In point per ball leagues, at least APA and BCA, if a player fouls on a ball, it stays down and is a dead ball for that rack. No one gets the point...

See reply #13:

"2. Jumped object balls and illegally pocketed balls are not returned to the table but do count in favor of the player with that group."

Last edited:

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
See reply #13:

Ive never seen it played that way in actual pool league. So if playing ball count, I can make my last ball and scratch and I win?

and thats talking about 8ball... (hence the term group)

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ive never seen it played that way in actual pool league. So if playing ball count, I can make my last ball and scratch and I win?

and thats talking about 8ball... (hence the term group)

I'm not being deliberately obtuse, I just don't get what you're saying.

In 8 ball isn't your last ball the 8 ball? If so, a scratch on that is a loss, your opponent gets 10 for the win, you get 7, right? I guess this would be an exception to the rule quoted, a weakness in the writing of the rule. But then again, the 8 ball isn't a member of any group.

If you mean the last ball in your group, I don't see how you win that way.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm not being deliberately obtuse, I just don't get what you're saying.

In 8 ball isn't your last ball the 8 ball? If so, a scratch on that is a loss, your opponent gets 10 for the win, you get 7, right? I guess this would be an exception to the rule quoted, a weakness in the writing of the rule. But then again, the 8 ball isn't a member of any group.

If you mean the last ball in your group, I don't see how you win that way.

Some leagues score by the BALL, not the game. If you lose the game but make 6 balls, you’d still get 6 points. I don’t think BCA scores like that in ANY leagues, but I could be wrong. The poster you quoted is asking if he sinks his 50th point, but scratches, would he still win? The answer should always be “no”.