Disassembling a GC to go in a basement - HELP!

Adam Tetzlaff

Registered
So I have recently been given an old GCI (I believe). I gladly accepted it because I have plenty of room in my basement. With the table disassembled I am able to get all components downstairs except the frame/bed (not sure if that is the correct term, picture is attached). I took the bolts out that I thought was holding it together, but it still seems rock solid. Is there a way to break this down? Has anyone done it before? Even just taking to top portion that the slate will rest on will give me enough room.

Attachments

• GCI Frame.jpg
    GCI Frame.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 239

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm pretty sure it is held together with dowels. Once you remove the remaining interior brace, try hitting the long side outward in the corner with a rubber mallet or dead blow. It should come apart.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I have recently been given an old GCI (I believe). I gladly accepted it because I have plenty of room in my basement. With the table disassembled I am able to get all components downstairs except the frame/bed (not sure if that is the correct term, picture is attached). I took the bolts out that I thought was holding it together, but it still seems rock solid. Is there a way to break this down? Has anyone done it before? Even just taking to top portion that the slate will rest on will give me enough room.
Frame should come apart. If its been together a long time you may need a good rubber mallet to help "convince" it.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
To be clear, it is easily broken into 4 main pieces, two long sides and two short(head and foot) sides.

Attachments

• Capture 66.JPG
    Capture 66.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 231

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I use a mini sledge hammer and a piece of wood(to not damage the frame) for those difficult frames!
A good tip for putting it back together: Soap or beeswax on the dowels makes them go back together so much easier! Good Luck!

TFT:thumbup: