Don't laugh

Hierovision

Dios mio, man.
Silver Member
I will be playing in the VA state 14.1 tournament coming up soon. My high run is 39, which I ran today without trying on dirty, crappy old gold crowns.

Is there any one video I should watch to emulate? I would watch the John Schmidt dvd I got but it won't play past 14 minutes.

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Va 14.1

I will be playing in the VA state 14.1 tournament coming up soon. My high run is 39, which I ran today without trying on dirty, crappy old gold crowns.

Is there any one video I should watch to emulate? I would watch the John Schmidt dvd I got but it won't play past 14 minutes.

Could you please tell me when and where the VA 14.1 is being held...thanks. Good for you for playing in it. I would suggest Jim Rempe's "How to run 100 balls with player review" by Accu-Stats. I took lessons twice from Jimmy at his home and according to my good friend Dan Janes (Founder of Joss Cues)..." Jimmy might be the most knowledgeable straight pool player on this planet"!!!

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member

Go to youtube and find everything you can on Irving Crane - there are a couple of videos there - well worth watching if you want to learn how to play the game correctly.

If that doesn't work out for you - visit my youtube page - I have some video of Dennis Walsh. He's not Irving Crane, but he sure does say some funny $hit when he misses.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member

There's a lot of good stuff out there. As mentioned instructionals by Rempe on How to run a rack and how to run 100. Sigel also had similar sections on straight pool in his old videos Perfect Pool(Not to be confused with the like titled piece of dreck he did with Trudeau a few years ago) and Runout Pool.
Schmidt's How I run 100s.

Some people like to watch matches and try to get themselves into similar rhythms for playing. I always like watching the Thomas Engert Tony Robles match from the 2006 World Championship. Very nice pace. The classic is probably still the Sigel/Zuglan 150 and out. The Dallas West/Mike Zuglan match is also a nice one to watch.

Good Luck!

Go to youtube and find everything you can on Irving Crane - there are a couple of videos there - well worth watching if you want to learn how to play the game correctly.

If that doesn't work out for you - visit my youtube page - I have some video of Dennis Walsh. He's not Irving Crane, but he sure does say some funny $hit when he misses.

Very funny. :D

I tried to give you some rep but it won't let me.

Positive rep, by the way.

When I missed something in the first rack when I was playing Monday, i let out an expletive and my opponent said "Are we recording this?" in an incredulous tone.

Last edited:

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
When I missed something in the first rack when I was playing Monday, i let out an expletive and my opponent said "Are we recording this?" with and incredulous tone.

DMG,
Well, if Blackjack thinks this is a game improvement tool; then I am prepared to incorporate it into my game IMMEDIATELY (it wouldn't require all that practice like the other tips my mentors usually give me). Perhaps you should make a video with tips for proper and effective use of profanity....couldn't hurt.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Get yourself a copy of Grady Mathews "key balls and break shots" and any accu stat with mike zugland in it!

you should also check out marpo in it. his patterns are pretty good
http://forums.azbilliards.com/member.php?u=6316

Hierovision

Dios mio, man.
Silver Member
Could you please tell me when and where the VA 14.1 is being held...thanks. Good for you for playing in it. I would suggest Jim Rempe's "How to run 100 balls with player review" by Accu-Stats. I took lessons twice from Jimmy at his home and according to my good friend Dan Janes (Founder of Joss Cues)..." Jimmy might be the most knowledgeable straight pool player on this planet"!!!

It's at Obelisk Billiard Club in Newport News, VA.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=168246

Thanks for the suggestions. I will be a straight pool sponge for the next couple weeks :smile: I'm playing a friend of mine a race to 500 tomorrow as well.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
my favorite of the "how to run 100" type videos was Rempe's. He's the clearest.

Some advice from jim that I think is great -

· Never shoot a ball you can miss. Too many players shoot a tough shot for the sake preserving a pattern or sticking to their original gameplan. Just adjust. As long as you leave at least one breakball (doesn't have to be the one you originally felt was best), you're okay.

The ONLY time I might shoot a less than 100% shot is when I have a choice between shooting a missable key ball to get good on the break ball... I'd rather do that then shoot the break ball and leave myself nothing to open up the rack. And even then, you have to be honest about your odds. If you're trying tough key ball that you are only 50% or less to make, you probably should just shoot the break ball instead and do a planned safety in the next rack.

· You don't have to slam the break ball. Don't risk missing it. Just pretend the rack isn't there and shoot the break ball like a normal shot that you're trying to play 3 rail shape from. In other words you're only hitting hard enough to that the cue ball might go up to the top of the table if there were no other balls in its way. I'll second the recommendation about Grady's break shots and key balls.

· Keep away from red herring "wired" combos and caroms. If there's more than an inch of space between the balls and they're not lined up perfectly, it's a crapshoot and you probably should avoid it. Lotta points are lost when 1 greedy player splatters the rack trying to play a dead ball that wasn't really there.

· Don't be afraid to foul on purpose to get out of trouble. Just try not to do it 3 times in a row. Give the other guy a chance to screw up. Many players are allergic to intentional fouls so when you nudge the cue ball into a tough situation, they will try to safe or shoot their way out of it legally and often it will bite them in the ass.

· Don't be lazy about position, ever. Pick a spot you think the cue ball can get to, make it a very small dime-sized one, and try your hardest to plant the cue ball right on that dot.

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Split the Wicket

· Never shoot a ball you can miss. Too many players shoot a tough shot for the sake preserving a pattern or sticking to their original gameplan. Just adjust. As long as you leave at least one breakball (doesn't have to be the one you originally felt was best), you're okay.

The ONLY time I might shoot a less than 100% shot is when I have a choice between shooting a missable key ball to get good on the break ball... I'd rather do that then shoot the break ball and leave myself nothing to open up the rack. And even then, you have to be honest about your odds. If you're trying tough key ball that you are only 50% or less to make, you probably should just shoot the break ball instead and do a planned safety in the next rack.

· You don't have to slam the break ball. Don't risk missing it. Just pretend the rack isn't there and shoot the break ball like a normal shot that you're trying to play 3 rail shape from. In other words you're only hitting hard enough to that the cue ball might go up to the top of the table if there were no other balls in its way. I'll second the recommendation about Grady's break shots and key balls.

· Keep away from red herring "wired" combos and caroms. If there's more than an inch of space between the balls and they're not lined up perfectly, it's a crapshoot and you probably should avoid it. Lotta points are lost when 1 greedy player splatters the rack trying to play a dead ball that wasn't really there.

· Don't be afraid to foul on purpose to get out of trouble. Just try not to do it 3 times in a row. Give the other guy a chance to screw up. Many players are allergic to intentional fouls so when you nudge the cue ball into a tough situation, they will try to safe or shoot their way out of it legally and often it will bite them in the ass.

· Don't be lazy about position, ever. Pick a spot you think the cue ball can get to, make it a very small dime-sized one, and try your hardest to plant the cue ball right on that dot.

Great post CreeDo...as Jimmy would say you "Split The Wicket"!!!

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member

Great post - IMO, every 14.1 player should have this video.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Great advice

Great advice from Jim Rempe.
If you get out of line for your Key Ball and the risk of missing it is great. Shoot the Break Ball and then play a Safe on that Key Ball. If you do try to take that hard key ball shot and miss it, you will leave that good break shot for your opponent. It is much better to leave the table on a Safe then a miss.

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another good video from Accu-Stats is Rempe vs Ginky with Rempe doing a player comentary with Pat Fleming. Rempe talks his way through this match and you get some insight on what he was thinking at the time.
IMO he also debunks the myth that top 14.1 players have the entire rack planned out from start to finish.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
What is this DVD you speak of, when was it recorded ?

I Watch the Rempe Instructionals alot, each time i pick up something new.

Was Rempe playing against Ginky in it and had a good run and did a review afterwards on it ?

Thanks
Steve

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
Another good video from Accu-Stats is Rempe vs Ginky with Rempe doing a player comentary with Pat Fleming. Rempe talks his way through this match and you get some insight on what he was thinking at the time.
thanks a lot for the note, I think now I'm ready to open my mind for that info. I wouldn't know about this player review video without you telling.
I found it in Accu-Stats store. Jim Rempe and Pat Fleming doing 14.1 commentary - must be very valuable piece of knowledge. Good it's available on DVD rather than VHS.

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is this DVD you speak of, when was it recorded ?

I Watch the Rempe Instructionals alot, each time i pick up something new.

Was Rempe playing against Ginky in it and had a good run and did a review afterwards on it ?

Thanks
Steve

I forget how many balls Rempe ran, but it was a substantial amount. What is great about this video is Rempe's commentary on what he was thinking as he was playing. It is almost like you are inside his head.
IMHO, this video is well worth the price.

Accu-Stats
Jim Rempe vs. George San Souci (Player Review) * (DVD) 17SP-04D:* Jim Rempe def "Ginky" SanSouci 150-(-12) (Player Review) (DVD)