Local Legends

BayGene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also thought about calling this thread "Beautiful Losers." We may have been privileged to see Irving Crane or Willie Mosconi once or twice, but most straight pool addicts are more likely to talk about the Gene Nagys, Jack Colavitas, Onofrio Lauris, and Johnny Ervolinos of this world, the Local Legends.
The 14.1 HOF should probably be restricted to the former, but we also have to recall those players who win all the trophies.
I'd like to lead off with the greatest ghost of them all, "Ziggy" Eufemia.

George Fels on Mike Eufemia:
THE LATE Mike Eufemia’s name came up not long ago. Whenever that happens, it will undoubtedly be in one of two contexts, and the two frequently follow one another as the night the day: 1) how the man was undoubtedly one of the greatest practice-pool players who ever assembled a cue, and 2) how schizoid that ability seemed in contrast to his tournament play, which was generally not only bad but spectacularly so.

Regarding the first, Eufemia was the first known player to claim to have topped the immortal Willie Mosconi’s record of 526 consecutive balls pocketed (although Mosconi himself stated that he once ran 700-plus on his home table, and who wouldn’t believe him?). His long-run claim of 625 was generally considered credible in and around New York, where Queens’ Golden Cue, his home turf, offered a nightly standing bet that Eufemia would run 200 balls before the place closed for the night. Skeptics noted that there was no single witness, save Eufemia himself, who saw the run from start to finish (Mosconi’s feat was achieved in front of an adoring audience in Springfield, Ohio), adding that he might have simply selected Mosconi’s number backwards. But it was the no-witnesses aspect of that accomplishment which has kept it out of the record books. The man’s legend has apparently grown to the point of a rumored 1,100-ball run.
Eddie Taylor On Mike Eufemia:
ET: I was talking to Onofrio Lauri and he said, 'He's an amazing guy when he's practicing - he runs 300, 400, 350, but when he plays in a World's Tournament, he don't do no good at all.' In Las Vegas in 1967 he beat Joe Balsis twice to win the Straight Pool [The Straight Pool division of the Stardust tournament]. I lost my fanny betting on Joe Balsis both times in that.
Then I had to play him in the playoffs after he just got through running 350 balls in the practice room. Danny Jones won the 9-ball , I won the One Pocket and Mike Eufamia won the Straight Pool . So we had to play each other One Pocket, 9-Ball and Straight Pool .
There was a guy named Joe Bernstein who was a high roller and he always bet on me. When I won, he'd always stick a hundred dollar bill in my vest pocket and say, 'Have a drink, Eddie, on me.' So Mike just got through running three hundred balls, and Joe knew I didn't play Straight Pool, because it was a bad game to hustle. I could have played it if I played it. Anyway, he saw Mike run those 350 balls, so he had to get some odds. Then when I played him I think his high run was probably 18 or 20, and I beat him something like 125 to 32 or something like that. It was a joke! That's when Onofrio Lauri told me that story.
Once, Mike asked me if I wanted to practice with him, when I was getting ready to play my tournament match. I racked the balls about seven or eight times until I said, 'I don't believe I want to practice any more, Mike.'

Michael's records, per Charles Ursitti:
National Championship Tournament
February 27-March 4, 1948
Navy Pier Chicago, Illinois
Placed 7 in a field of 12 with a 5-6 record; Andrew Ponzi won.

Unofficial World Title
March 15-26, 1954
Allinger’s Billiard Academy
1307 Market Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Placed 4th in a field of 7 with 1 6-6 record; Luther Lassiter won.

World Championship Tournament
April 2-17, 1956
Sportsman’s Billiard Room, Kingston, NY
Placed 6th in a field of 8; Willie Mosconi won.

United States Pocket Billiard Tournament
October 27-November 18, 1956
Judice’s Pocket Billiard Academy, Brooklyn, NY
Placed 2nd in a field of 9 with an 11-5 record; Luther Lassiter won.
During the tournament, on November 16th, Michael Eufemia’s place of business burned down.

April 8-14, 1963
Windsor Ball Room
Hotel Commodore
42nd Street, NYC
Placed 5th in a field of 12 with a 7-4 record; Luther Lassiter won.

March 2-8, 1964
Windsor Ball Room
Hotel Commodore
42nd Street, NYC
Placed 8th in a field of 14 with a 6-7 record; Luther Lassiter won.

January 29-March 6, 1965
American Billiard Parlor
Burbank, California
Placed 12th in a field of 21 with a 9-11 record; Cisero Murphy won.

March 21-28, 1965
Windsor Ball Room
Hotel Commodore
42nd Street, NYC
Placed 14th in a field of 15 with a 3-11 record; Joe Balsis won.

April 1-24, 1966
House of Champions
Burbank, California
Placed 14th in a field of 18 with a 5-12 record; Joe Balsis won.

World Invitational Pocket Billiard Championship
January 31-February 22, 1969
Elk’s Club
Los Angeles, California
Placed 12th in a field of 15 with a 5-9 record; Ed Kelly won.

Pictured: A (Saul) Rich cue with a Michael Eufemia "signature."

Attachments

• MichaelEufemia.jpeg
    MichaelEufemia.jpeg
    3.5 KB · Views: 1,100
  • Richeufemia4.JPG
    Richeufemia4.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 1,312
Last edited:

BayGene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Onofrio Lauri

In response to no response...
Here’s the second of my reflections on Local Heroes. Onofrio Lauri was the old man I followed around in the early Sixties. Funny to think that I’m older now than he was then.
Born on June 27, 1896, he competed across six decades. He received the Billiard Room Proprietors Association of America (BRPAA) “Lifetime Achievement Award” in March 1966, partly in compensation for his having broken his left arm tripping of a Wide World of Sports TV cable. Chris Schenkel made the presentation. This was particularly ironic given the “break” which put him in his first national tournament in 1928.
Variously known during his long, long career as the Lion-killer and the Dean of Pocket Billiards, Lauri at Golden Cue in Queens on April 11, 1971.

As always, thanks to Charles Ursitti for the great info. By the way, tournaments “back in the day” usually had 7-19 players, not the latter day 32- and 64-player fields.

National Pocket Billiard Tournament
Recital Hall
Chicago. Illinois
March 5-19, 1928
Finished 7th with a record of 3-6; Ralph Greenleaf won.
(As New York State pocket billiard champion, Lauri was appointed to replace O.L. Harris of Denver, the Rocky Mountain champion, who slipped and injured his stroke arm while cranking his car.)

Recreation Building
Shelby & Lafayette Streets
Detroit, Michigan
December 9-19, 1929
Finished 4th with a record of 4-3; Ralph Greenleaf won.

Dwyer’s Broadway Academy
1608 Broadway
New York, NY
December 8-18, 1930
Finished 4th with a record of 4-3; Erwin Rudolph won.

Allinger’s Academy
1307 Market Street
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
November 30-December 23, 1931
Finished 7th with a record of 6-5; Ralph Greenleaf won.

Ponzi’s Billiard Academy
163 West 46th Street
New York, NY
March 29th-April 21, 1937
Finished 7th with a record of 6-5; Ralph Greenleaf won.

Capital Bowling & Billiard Academy
1680 Broadway
New York, NY
February 28th-March 24th, 1938
Finished 9th with a record of 5-6; James Caras won.

World Championship League Play
4 city tour (New York, Philadelphia, Newark, Baltimore)
February 12th-April 30th, 1940
Finished 7th with a record of 26-54 record; Andrew Ponzi won.

World Championship League Play
4 city tour (New York, Philadelphia, Newark, Baltimore)
November 26th-May 2nd, 1941
Finished 5th with a record of 109-115 record; Willie Mosconi won.

Town Hall
Broad & Race Streets
October 20th-November 7th, 1941
Finished 9th with a record of 4-7; Erwin Rudolph won.

Town Hall
Broad & Race Streets
December 2-12, 1946
Finished 6th with a record of 4-3; Irving Crane won.

Navy Pier
Chicago, Illinois
February 27-March 4, 1948
Finished 5th with a record of 6-5 record; Andrew Ponzi won.

Navy Pier
Chicago, Illinois
February 4-10, 1949
Finished 6th with a record of 7-4 record; James Caras won.

Navy Pier
Chicago, Illinois
February 10-6, 1950
Finished 5th with a record of 6-5 record; Irvine Crane won.

Navy Pier
Chicago, Illinois
February 16-22, 1951
Finished 10th with a record of 3-7 record; Joseph Canton won.

United States Pocket Biliard Tournament
Judice’s Billiard Academy
Brooklyn, NY
Finished 5th with a record of 9-7 record; Luther Lassiter won.

Windsor Ballroom
Hotel Commodore
New York, NY
April 8-14, 1963
Finished 8th with a record of 4-3; Luther Lassiter won.

Windsor Ballroom
Hotel Commodore
New York, NY
March 2-8, 1964
Finished 5th with a record of 7-6; Luther Lassiter won.

American Billiard Parlor
Burbank, California
January 29-March 6, 1965
Finished 9th with a record of 13-7; Cisero Murphy won.

Windsor Ballroom
Hotel Commodore
New York, NY
March 21-8, 1965
Finished 11th with a record of 5-9; Joe Balsis won.

Windsor Ballroom
Hotel Commodore
New York, NY
March 19-27, 1966
Finished 8th with a record of 7-7; Luther Lassiter won.

House of Champions
Burbank, California
April 1-24, 1966
Finished 16th with a record of 5-12; Joe Balsis won.

Terrace Ballroom
Statler Hilton Hotel
New York, NY
March 23-31, 1967
Finished 11th with a record of 5-9; Luther Lassiter won.

Terrace Ballroom
Statler Hilton Hotel
New York, NY
April 14-9, 1968
Finished 14th with a record of 3-11; Irving Crane won.

1st Annual Empire Billiard Association International Pocket Billiard Championship
Windsor Ballroom
Hotel Commodore
New York, NY
September 20-October 1, 1986
Finished 11th with a record of 6-9; Irving Crane won.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
BayGene:

I want you to know that I appreciate you posting these, and I don't think I would be exaggerating if I said I speak on behalf of many others as well. I would've replied to the first one -- about Mike Eufemia (an enigma of a player for sure) -- but I tend to hit AZB on quick breaks at work, and then have to get back to what I was doing.

These are EXCELLENT reads -- really enjoyed them -- and I hope you will contribute more!

Looking forward to the next installment,
-Sean

BayGene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Local legends

Thanks for the good words, Sean. I'll continue to do them. Hope to see you at Carom Cafe next month.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Gene: Sorry about the "no response". Your details were somewhat overwhelming. I do appreciate you putting this all together. I have copied and pasted and sent it out to some straight pool nuts that have the misfortune of having given me their emails.

Keep them coming.

BayGene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Local legends

Saw that on Facebook today. Appreciate your spreading the word on some forgotten players. See you in Flushing?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Knew both of these guys.

I've often posted that no professional past or present inspired me more than Irving Crane.

For my dad, though, the guys that inspired him the most were Eufemia and Lauri, b oth of whom he counted as friends. I met both of them through my father in the late 1960's. Lauri was known as "Old Man Lauri" at the Golden Q in Queens, NY, a nickname he came to embrace despite being young at heart. He seemed amused that even I, a ten year old when I met him, called him that. He was a grand old man of the game, a beloved local legend.

Eufemia was known as a world beater who rarely got it done in competition. My father got the Gold Crown I that I grew up on from Mike as part of a liquidation sale when a poolroom Mike had a stake in went under in 1969. Mike sold us a nearly new Gold Crown I, five cues and a set of pool balls for $900, an incredible bargain at the time. One of the things I remember most about that table was that there were cigarette burns in the Brunswick plate by the head rail, a testament to the days when players routinely placed their cigarettes on the rail while they shot. Years later, when we'd long since left Queens, I recall when my dad and I learned of Mike's death a full year after he'd passed.

It's always fun to think about these guys.

Last edited:

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
BayGene:

I want you to know that I appreciate you posting these, and I don't think I would be exaggerating if I said I speak on behalf of many others as well. I would've replied to the first one -- about Mike Eufemia (an enigma of a player for sure) -- but I tend to hit AZB on quick breaks at work, and then have to get back to what I was doing.

These are EXCELLENT reads -- really enjoyed them -- and I hope you will contribute more!

Looking forward to the next installment,
-Sean

Second that! Already loved the first read about Eufemia, a name who's stuck with me ever since as a teenager I first looked up pool in the Guinness Book of Records - of course, that entry is no longer in there today.

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

BayGene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eufemia was a lefty

Either the picture is reversed or he was shooting opposite handed.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Wow Gene,

That was some heck of a write up. you are a bit of a factoid, i am very impressed !!!

Although i have never seen him play now i really wish i could...He sounds legendary !

-Steve

BayGene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Johnny Ervolino

Local Legends: Installment Three, Johnny Ervolino

“Brooklyn Johnny” passed away on February 19, 2005 following complications of heart problems. There is a marvelous portrait of him at Amsterdam Billiards, between “Ginky” San Souci and Jeanette Lee.

Johnny was a national junior champion in 1947 at age 12.

He was featured in a Village Voice article “Blue Chalk and Lemon Drops” by Barbara Long on September 9th, 1965.

A one pocket whiz first and then a straight pool master, Johnny’s last hurrah in 14.1 was probably the long run he laid on Earl Strickland in the Maine Event in Portland, 1995. You can watch it via Accu-Stats and check out a great shot from that run on YouTube.
His high run was 361.

Windsor Ballroom
Hotel Commodore
New York, NY
March 19-27, 1966

Placed 14th in a field of 15 with a 4-10 record; Luther Lassiter won.

House of Champions
Burbank, California
April 1-24, 1966

Placed 6th in a field of 18 with a 11-6 record; Joe Balsis won.

2nd Annual BCA U.S. Open
Sheraton-Jefferson Hotel
Chicago, Illinois
June 26, 1967

Placed 5th in a field of 14 with a 11-6 record; James Caras won.

Elk’s Building
607 S. Parkview
Los Angeles, California
January 30-February 21, 1970

Placed 8th in a field of 16 with a 7-8 record; Irving Crane won.

1971 All Round
Straight Pool Division
California
January 30-February 21, 1970

Placed 18th (4th in flight) in a field of 49; Ray Martin won.

6th Annual BCA U.S. Open
Sheraton-Jefferson Hotel
Chicago, Illinois
August 16-21, 1971

Placed 12th in a field of 32; Steve Mizerak won.

4th Annual Los Angeles World Pocket Billiards Championship
Elk’s Building
607 S. Parkview
Los Angeles, California
January 28-February 19, 1972

Placed 18th in a field of 20 with a 3-16 record; Irving Crane won.

5th Annual Los Angeles World Pocket Billiards Championship
American Legion Post 3
2035 North Highland
Hollywood, California
January 26-February 17, 1973

Placed 6th in a field of 19 with a 11-7 record; Lou Butera won.

6th Annual World Pocket Billiards Championship
American Legion Post 3
2035 North Highland
Hollywood, California
January 26-February 17, 1973

Placed 10th in a field of 19 with a 8-9 record; Ray Martin won.

14th Annual BCA U.S. Open 14.1 Championship
Congress Hotel
520 S. Michigan Avenue
Chicago, Illinois
November 28-December 1, 1989

Placed 17-24 in a field of 32 with a 8-9 record; Oliver Ortmann won.

ervolino.jpg

me-01l.gif

Johnny.jpg

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
This is a very cool thread. Thanks for posting those. I remember the first time I ever saw 14.1 being played on video, and it was a borrowed tape of Sigel's 150 and out against Mike Zuglan. Ervolino is in the booth for part of that, and all I can remember thinking is who is this guy with the insane gravelly voice who knows everything Sigel is going to do before he does it?

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like this thread, wish I had the knowledge to share of the old great players.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Thanks for those great pics of Ervo. That's how I prefer to remember him, the stylish dresser. I met him in the late 1960's at the Golden Q in Queens, NY, a few years before he moved to Las Vegas. He sometimes dropped by with his very close friend Jersey Red.

BayGene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gene Nagy

Gene Nagy.jpgI have been reticent to write about this Local Legend for several reasons:
Although Gene was younger than me, I never saw him play.
He has been written about with great affection by Jeanette Lee, Jerry Tarantola, Fran Crimi, and Bob Watson.

With due respect to them and to his memory I provide some excerpts and a summary of his tournament record, provided as always, by the invaluable Charles Ursitti.

Jerry T Remembers The Great Gene Nagy
Posted on February 15, 2010 by JT

The Great Gene Nagy*(October 6, 1946 – July 13th, 2006)
Throughout history, only an extremely small percentage have been able to touch true greatness in the art, science, and power of the game of pool. *There is a certain state, or level of “flow” that every great athlete has the ability to enter, allowing their most fully-engaged game to express itself.
While most people who have never been exposed to what makes the game great may only see pool as a recreational game… the rare few who practice and study it at the highest levels, will tell you otherwise. In my opinion, the ability to play pool at it’s highest level is truly an art form and an expression of genius. And as the saying goes… there is a fine line between genius and insanity.
I think everyone who is truly great at their craft, whether it’s sport, art, business, or anything else… has the ability to touch people through their actions. *But, greatness can’t be reached through personal achievement alone, it is bestowed on someone by the community and people that that person has touched.
My life’s path changed forever due to being touched by Gene Nagy’s greatness. I was twelve years old when I met Gene at a pool room in Queens, NY called La Cue Billiards and Cafe.
At the time, I had just recently gotten bit by the pool bug after being introduced to the game by my cousin, who took me to the pool hall for the first time. While I had hit balls before that time, it seemed as if then I had entered a new dimension.
All of the players there were all cool people, and everyone got along with each other. I wouldn’t be able to articulate it at that time, but looking back… there was an aura of togetherness, community and inspiration. The environment was supportive, real and immediately had a profound effect on me.
That was the day I met Gene.
Eugene “Gene” Nagy will go down in history as one of pool’s greatest underground legends of the game. He was a straight pool phenom who holds a personal record of running 430 consecutive balls, and has run 200 balls over 20 times in his life. He has run 150 and out on Irving Crane at a World’s Tournament, and has battled with many of the greats in the game.
However, Gene never liked to go far from NY, and usually didn’t like to leave Queens. As his legend grew, people began to seek him out for instruction. Over the years, he positively impacted many lives through an amazingly unique, heartfelt connection with his friends and pupils. I was lucky to eventually begin playing with Gene almost every day, often for 10 hours in a day. Gene helped me look at the game differently, and see things from a unique perspective.
Gene helped me understand and work towards developing the perfect stroke, from his perspective. I learned about all aspects of the game from Gene, and he was hugely supportive of me, always wanting to hear how I would do at tournaments. Knowing that he was pulling for me helped me be a better player, and yes… a better kid.
I played with Gene on and off for a large part of my pool playing life, and I had also watched him impact many other people. People would come hang out around the table he was playing at, and there would always be a sense of community and friendship.
Gene also had several other notable students who he mentored. He worked with*Bob Watson (author of Painting on Green Canvas), BCA master instructor*Fran Crimi, *and Jeanette Lee. Jeanette became very close to Gene, who was her inspiration for writing her first book called The Black Widow’s Guide to Killer Pool. *Sadly, Gene passed away in 2006, leaving behind a legacy through the sport, as well as the people he touched.

Jerry T & Jeanette Lee paying tribute to Gene Nagy at his memorial service.
He was my most influential mentor because he taught me compassion, commitment, dedication, and heart. Gene always accepted my failures, while encouraging my strengths, and will always remain in my heart.
Gene will be remembered as one of the greatest players of all time to those who knew him, and to me, he lives on every time I pocket a ball.

HEADSTRING NEWS
Gene Nagy Dies at Age 59
Jul 14, 2006, 5:34 PM

Gene Nagy, legendary straight-pool player and longtime coach and mentor to many players including Jeanette Lee, passed away yesterday, July 13, at age 59.

Visitation will be held this Sunday, July 16, from 2-4 and 7-9 p.m. at:

Kearns Funeral Home
61-40 Woodhaven Blvd.
Rego Park, N.Y.
(718) 441-3300

Nagy died of emphyzema and cancer of the lungs. He is survived by his aunt, Jean O'Brien, and many close friends and students.

Nagy was born Oct. 6, 1946 in New York. Before he became a highly respected pool player he was an accomplished musician. He started playing the trumpet at age 12 and attended the Juilliard School of Music at age 17.

Nagy didn't start playing pool until he was 18 years old, and by the time he was 23, he was invited to his first professional tournament. His lifetime personal high run of 430 is topped officially only by Thomas Engert, Min-Wai Chin, and Willie Mosconi. He is also known for running 150 and out in the 1973 World Straight Pool Open against Allen Hopkins.

Luther Lassiter was quoted as saying of Nagy, "That man was born to play this game."

Willie Mosconi commented on Nagy's style, saying, "It was the finest I had ever seen balls taken from the table."

By the late 1970s, Nagy had retired from competition, but continued to teach and mentor young players. Jeanette Lee, famous the world over as "The Black Widow" was one of his best students, and considered him a father.

Lee said of Nagy:

"Everything I know, I learned from him. He was my coach, my mentor, my friend, my father, my everything. Particularly for the first five years or so, when I first started playing pool."

Lee met Nagy when she was 19, through her then boyfriend, at a New York poolhall.

"From really that day on, he played me everyday of my life until I moved away. The poolroom opened at 11 a.m., we got there at 10, had coffee, and played until they closed at 11 at night. He never kept score. He really taught me the love of the game to always stay a student."

Lee credits all of her ability to Gene, as well as her character. She says that he taught humility by example. When she hit her first high run of 122, the very next inning, he ran 238.

"He’s the one who really gave me compassion and gave me humility. People probably wouldn't call me that, but as a student of the game I am. What it came down to was, he just taught me to love pool for the love of the game, above and beyond any kind of competitiveness or materialism or glory you could take from it. That's where my willingness to want to give back to this sport and do things for the growth of the game itself, comes from."

Lee also dedicated her 2001 book, "The Black Widow's Guide to Killer Pool" to Nagy.
4th Annual Los Angeles World Pocket Billiard Championship
Elks Building
607 S. Parkview Street
Los Angeles, California

Placed 14th in a field of 20 with a 8-11; high run 141; Irving Crane won.

5th Annual Los Angeles World Pocket Billiard Championship
American Legion Post #3
2035 North Highland Avenue
Hollywood, California

Placed 9th in a field of 19 with a 10-8; high run 150 versus Allan Hopkins; Lou Butera won.

6th Annual Los Angeles World Pocket Billiard Championship
American Legion Post #3
2035 North Highland Avenue
Hollywood, California
February 1-23, 1974

Placed 19th in a field of 19 (dropped out of tournament); Ray Martin won.

3rd Annual PPPA World Open
Grand Ballroom
Biltmore Hotel
New York, NY
August 12-9, 1978

Placed 18th in a field of 52; high run of 56; Ray Martin won.

BayGene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jack Colavita

Jack Colavita is the last of my Local Legends, at least for a while. You can catch two clips of Jack versus Ray Martin at the 1989 U.S. Open in Chicago on YouTube. After Jack’s demise in 2005 he was honored with the Jack Colavita Memorial 14.1 Tournament at Bill Haley’s lamented Comet Billiards in Parsippany.
Below are articles from the Newark Star-Ledger and Billiards Digest, as well as a tournament summary from Charles Ursitti’s wonderful site.

Jack Colavita, 73, an ace with cue stick
Friday, September 23, 2005
BY GUY STERLING
Star-Ledger Staff

To Jack Colavita, playing pool was more than a way to
pass some time. It was a way to socialize, make
friends and maybe even give a younger, less
experienced player a tip or two. His approach to the
game earned him the nickname "Gentleman Jack."

But that's not to say he didn't enjoy competing. He
did. So much so that he was New Jersey or New York's
straight pool champion a dozen times dating to the
early '60s. For years, he played in some of the top
tournaments in the country, once finishing third in
the U.S. Open Pocket Billiards Championship.

That effort earned him a check for a couple of
thousand dollars at a time when there wasn't much
money in pool.

"The key to my father's success was his love of the
game," said Jack Colavita Jr., of Easton, Pa. "It was
a part of him and he loved every aspect of it."

Considered among New Jersey's all-time elite pool
players, Mr. Colavita died Tuesday at the West
Caldwell Care Center after a brief illness. A native
of Newark, he was 73.

Mr. Colavita took up billiards in his early teens on a
couple of tables that his grandfather kept in the back
of his store in downtown Newark, his son said. Early
on, it was apparent that he had a feel for the game
and, within his first year of picking up a cue, he had
a run of 100 balls.

By the time he graduated from Central High School, Mr.
Colavita was looked upon as one of the premier players
in his neighborhood, and he often ventured to pool
halls around Newark in search of a game in an era when
the city was a billiards hotbed.

But Mr. Colavita gave up playing for a dozen or so
years after high school to fulfill his military
obligation and start a career as a machinist. He
served in the National Guard from 1951 to 1953 and in
the Air Force from 1953 to 1957.

>From 1960 until 1992, he worked as a machinist at the
ArtWire/Doduco Co. in Cedar Knolls. Before retiring in
2002, he spent 10 years as a machinist with Form Cut
Industries in Newark.

Mr. Colavita returned to the tables after the birth of
his son and played at many local venues that offered
top-flight competition, places such as Main Street
Recreation and the Ampere Bowling Alley, both in East
Orange.

His first state championship victory in 1963 got him a
berth in straight pool's world championship, which was
held that year at the Commodore Hotel in New York.
While he never won a national or world title, Mr.
Colavita had numerous top 10 finishes, his son said.
His third-place U.S. Open finish was in Chicago in

Unlike many of the game's best players who traveled
the country competing full-time, Mr. Colavita did not
journey to major tournaments week after week. Instead,
he "cherry picked" his appearances, his son said.

He also played in exhibitions and gave lessons. Actor
Paul Sorvino was one of the celebrities given pointers
by Mr. Colavita, his son said.

Along the way, Mr. Colavita played against and grew
friendly with some of pool's most celebrated names,
including Willie Mosconi, Luther "Wimpy" Lassiter and
Irving Crane. He regarded Mosconi as the greatest
billiards player he faced.

Mr. Colavita enjoyed his most memorable night on the
tables at O'Dowd's Billiards Lounge in Pine Brook in
1972 when he pocketed 385 consecutive shots, his son
said. Close friend John Bender said he witnessed Mr.
Colavita run 282 shots at Rockaway Billiards in 1990,
only to miss a shot and then drop another 165 in a
row.

"Jack was the first player I saw when I walked into a
pool room for the first time in 1977," Bender
recalled. "He made the game look easy. I remember
watching him and thinking, 'This isn't so hard.' I
figured out later I wasn't right."

A pool player and referee, Bender said Mr. Colavita's
name showed up on every ballot when the 48 players
competing in the 1989 U.S. Open were asked to name the
top 10 straight pool players of all time.

According to Bender, Mr. Colavita kept things as
uncomplicated as he could when he picked up his cue.

"He always looked for the simplest way around the
table," said Bender, who lives in Kinnelon. "'Don't
get fancy.' That's how he played the game."

In 2002, the New Jersey State Straight Pool
Championship was revived after a lapse of many years
by Mr. Colavita and Comet Billiards of Parsippany.
Straight pool was the victim of a rise in the
popularity of 9-ball, said Bill Haley, Comet's
proprietor.

But the Morris County event has grown in size and
prestige every year, with hundreds of fans showing up
to watch the play that features top players from
throughout the world, said Haley. This year's
tournament will be held next weekend and is named in
honor of Mr. Colavita, he added.

In addition to his son, Mr. Colavita is survived by
his wife, Lena; a daughter, Cynthia of Caldwell, and
three grandchildren.

Viewing will be today from 2-4 and 7-9 p.m. at the
Galante Funeral Home in Caldwell. A funeral Mass will
be held tomorrow in St. Aloysius Church in Caldwell at
10 a.m.

Mr. Colavita will be buried with his favorite pool
stick, a 1986 cue custom-made by Richard Black of
Texas, his son said. It is inlaid with mother-of-pearl
and has Mr. Colavita's name engraved on it.

------------------------------------------------------

Posted on Billiards Digest CCB
by Jack's Son on Wednesday 9/21/05

To everyone reading this post.

This is Jack's son (Jack Jr). My mother, sister and I
was at my fathers side last night when he passed away.
I never thought I would have the courage to do so, but
I looked into his eyes just before he passed and told
him what a great father, husband he was. I also told
him I was so proud of him on all his accomplishments
as a professional pool player, and that no one will
ever be able to replace his style, and character. My
father will always be remembered as one of the most
respected and liked players of the game. The game that
he loved and held so dearly to his heart. He was an
only child, and basically was part of a small family.
But his extended family outside his immediate family
was all his friends and colleagues in his many years
in the Pocket Billiard profession.

He has left behind a legacy which consisted of-
* 385 ball high run in straight pool.
* 5 Time New Jersey State Straight Pool Champion.
* 3 Time New York State Straight Pool Champion.
* New York/New Jersey King of the Hill Straight Pool
champion for 17 straight weeks back in late 1960's.
* 2nd Runner up in the 1974 US Open in Chicago.
* Numerous top 10 finishes in US Open and World
Straight Pool Tournaments.
* Was in the movie "The Player" with Minnesota Fats in

* Appeared on ABC Wide World of Sports in 1983 in a
trick
shot competition with Howard Cosell.
* Won the Paul Sorvino Asthma Charity Tournament in
NYC
in 1999.
* Has resurrected with Bill Haley the NJ State
Straight
Pool Championship in Comet Billiards in Parsippany
which up to a couple of weeks ago was still excited
about being there to play and help run it.

I am basically touching the tip of the iceberg.

I would also like to thank the special friends who
visited my father in the hospital the past few weeks.
(John Bender and his wife Joan, Steve Lillis, Carmen
Lombardo, Al Grasso, Bill Haley, Ron the caterer) Also
the dear friends who contacted him to wish him well
(Richard Black, Joe Baggio). I hope I didn't leave
anyone out.

I know my dad respected everyone he ever came in
contact with in the game. His legacy hopefully will
live on for ever.

We love you dad (Mom, Cindy & Jack).

If anyone would be interested, there will be a
write-up in the New Jersey Star Ledger tomorrow as
well as the obituary on Viewing times.

Thanks for remembering my dad.

Jack Jr.

Windsor Ballroom
Hotel Commodore
New York, NY
March 2-8, 1964
Finished 14th in a field of 14 with a record of 2-11; Luther Lassiter won.

Windsor Ballroom
Hotel Commodore
New York, NY
March 19-27, 1966
Finished 13th in a field of 15 with a record of 4-10; Luther Lassiter won.

Terrace Ballroom
Statler Hilton Hotel
New York, NY
March 23-31, 1967
Finished 12th in a field of 15 with a record of 4-10; Luther Lassiter won.

Terrace Ballroom
Statler Hilton Hotel
New York, NY
April 14-9, 1968
Finished 9th in a field of 15 with a record of 6-8; Irving Crane won.

6th Annual BCA U.S. Open
Sheraton-Jefferson Hotel
Chicago, Illinois
August 16-21, 1971
Placed 13th in a field of 32; Steve Mizerak won.

6th Annual BCA U.S. Open
Sheraton-Jefferson Hotel
Chicago, Illinois
August 15-9, 1972
Placed 5th in a field of 32; Steve Mizerak won.

10th Annual BCA U.S. Open
Sheraton-Chicago Hotel
Chicago, Illinois
August 15-9, 1972
Placed 23rd in a field of 32; Dallas West won.

1st Annual PPPA World Open
Asbury Park, New Jersey
August 9-15, 1976
Placed 27th in a field of 32; Larry Lisciotti won.

Grand Ballroom
Biltmore Hotel
New York, New York
August 12-19, 1978
Placed 15th in a field of 52 with a 3-2 record; Ray Martin won.

Holiday Inn Coliseum
57th Street
New York, New York
August 12-18, 1979
Placed 6th in a field of 46 with a 3-2 record; Mike Sigel won.

5th Annual PPPA World Open
Roosevelt Hotel
45th Street
New York, New York
August 16-25, 1980
Placed 20th in a field of 61 with a 3-2 record; Nick Varner won.

August 16-25, 1981
6th Annual PPPA World Open
Roosevelt Hotel
45th Street
New York, New York
Placed 10th in a field of 64 with a 3-2 record; Mike Sigel won.

August 14-21, 1982
7th Annual PPPA World Open
Roosevelt Hotel
45th Street
New York, New York
Placed 15th in a field of 32; Steve Mizerak won.

August 9-16, 1986
9th Annual PPPA World Open
Philadelphia Center Hotel
Placed 5-6 in a field of 54; Nick Varner won.

February 4-7, 1988
U.S. Invitational 14.1 Straight Pool Championship
Bond Court Hotel
Cleveland, Ohio
Placed 3rd in a field of 64; Steve Mizerak won.

August 18-24, 1988
World 14.1 Championship
Bond Court Hotel
Cleveland, Ohio
Placed 9-12 in a field of 39; Mike Sigel won.

November 28-December 1, 1989
14th BCA U.S. Open 14.1 Championship
Congress Hotel
520 S. Michigan Avenue
Chicago, Illinois
Placed 17-24 in a field of 32; Oliver Ortmann won.

Colavita,Jack.jpg

Last edited:

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Thanks so much, love this thread! Sorry to say I spotted a mistake in the Colavita summary: Mike Sigel did not win the 1989 U.S. Open Straight Pool - Oliver Ortmann did!

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Last edited: