Message from JOHNNY ARCHER

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
selection

I was just trying to clarify what Matchroom's decision was months ago on picking the teams.

If the decision WAS made "months ago" then why hasn't it been announced? The guys continue to play their best because the announcement has NOT been made and their PERFORMANCE could/should win them a spot on the team.

What in Archers opinion should happen with the Mosconi Cup Selection? He is 5th in the running! How low does he have to fall to be EXCLUDED??? What is a reasonable level of performance expected and warranted to secure his slot??? There are a ton on his tail that would like to know???

added the bca rankings!!!

KD

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-08-21 at 1.38.55 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-08-21 at 1.38.55 PM.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 329

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Now Cleary that would be a whole different story. One has nothing t do with the other. I was just trying to clarify what Matchroom's decision was months ago on picking the teams.

The scenario that you explained is just wrong, However, I wasn't there to witness it and that is the first I heard of it.

It is wrong. Very wrong. Mike contacted the poolroom owner today and made sure that he's still in. He even got himself a big sponsor to put him in.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
If the decision WAS made "months ago" then why hasn't it been announced? The guys continue to play their best because the announcement has NOT been made and their PERFORMANCE could/should win them a spot on the team.

What in Archers opinion should happen with the Mosconi Cup Selection? He is 5th in the running! How low does he have to fall to be EXCLUDED??? What is a reasonable level of performance expected and warranted to secure his slot??? There are a ton on his tail that would like to know???

added the bca rankings!!!

KD

I remember it being announced, months ago, that Matchroom was picking the teams this year, no points race.

It was discussed here, as well. Too lazy to search, but I clearly recall it, and was disappointed that there was no carrot for participation like in previous years.

Perhaps this is a one year only stipulation, in order to construct the teams that they want for the anniversary. And then again, maybe they will keep it this way, for the entertainment factor.

It's their ball, they get to choose the rules.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
I remember it being announced, months ago, that Matchroom was picking the teams this year, no points race.

It was discussed here, as well. Too lazy to search, but I clearly recall it, and was disappointed that there was no carrot for participation like in previous years.

Perhaps this is a one year only stipulation, in order to construct the teams that they want for the anniversary. And then again, maybe they will keep it this way, for the entertainment factor.

It's their ball, they get to choose the rules.

Semantics! Please NAME the 5 players on both teams???

They never announced the team members a Year in advance! We find out after US Open all 19 YEARS!!! But, hay FATBOY and Archer got the INSIDE track!!!

KD

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member

They never announced the team members a Year in advance! We find out after US Open all 19 YEARS!!! But, hay FATBOY and Archer got the INSIDE track!!!

KD

KD, as it has been explained a few times now Matchroom made their announcement months ago that they would not be using the BCA points this year for determining teams. I am pretty sure ALL the players new this at the start of the year so it is no surprise to them just so you know.
As far as the teams go I think most of them know if they have been selected or not. Even if the decision has been made I think they are keeping it quiet for marketing purposes,building anticipation kind of thing. The know what they are doing those guys at Matchroom and have been doing it with many different sports. Even if you don't agree with their decision It is really hard to question the manner in which they operate based on all their success worldwide with a variation of sports. I hope that clears it up for you.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
KD, as it has been explained a few times now Matchroom made their announcement months ago that they would not be using the BCA points this year for determining teams. I am pretty sure ALL the players new this at the start of the year so it is no surprise to them just so you know.
As far as the teams go I think most of them know if they have been selected or not. Even if the decision has been made I think they are keeping it quiet for marketing purposes,building anticipation kind of thing. The know what they are doing those guys at Matchroom and have been doing it with many different sports. Even if you don't agree with their decision It is really hard to question the manner in which they operate based on all their success worldwide with a variation of sports. I hope that clears it up for you.

Again, they can do what they want!

Again, Fans can proceed accordingly!

These issues don't exist in EUROPE's team and I wonder why???

KD

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
Again, they can do what they want!

Again, Fans can proceed accordingly!

These issues don't exist in EUROPE's team and I wonder why???

KD

Team Europe are not going by points either and to be honest you are the only one I have heard so far that is SO upset by it. Yes you are right, if any fan is as upset about it as you are they have every right to boycott the event. I would too if I felt it wasn't what I wanted to see. However, many people will watch and enjoy one of the greatest events in pool with top quality pool and legendary stars from both Europe and the USA. I am looking forward to it and promises to be the biggest and best Mosconi Cup ever!

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
The key to Promotion is.......PRO MOTION

Team Europe are not going by points either and to be honest you are the only one I have heard so far that is SO upset by it. Yes you are right, if any fan is as upset about it as you are they have every right to boycott the event. I would too if I felt it wasn't what I wanted to see. However, many people will watch and enjoy one of the greatest events in pool with top quality pool and legendary stars from both Europe and the USA. I am looking forward to it and promises to be the biggest and best Mosconi Cup ever!

Knowing Barry Hearn, he will not disappoint anyone with this year's Show....it's the 20th Anniversary
shutterstock_16585399.jpg
and Barry knows how to turn up the Promotion.

The key to Promotion is.......PRO MOTION and there's sure to be an all star line up of pros that are the Best At Motion......Show Motion that is. ;)

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member

KD[/QUOTE

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=305249&highlight=mosconi

Hey, look at me, copy and paste on my phone! :p

January 25 we all knew. Don't have to like it, but it wasn't snuck in on folks.

Did you read any of that thread?

It was THOUGHT bonus ball would interfere with using points! No boner ball no interference!

The reason for abandoning is gone! The need to return exists since the reasoning and rationale is no longer sustained by boner ball!

Kd

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will assure you no one can "pull any strings" and make Barry Hearn do anything he doesn't want to do......there's simply no chance of that, especially on the 20th Anniversary.

Mike is a severe underdog getting a spot on the Mosconi Cup for various reasons, NONE of them have anything to do with Johnny Archer. This year is very special because it's the 20th Anniversary so it will be 100% based on entertainment and show quality, nothing more, nothing less. MatchRoom/Barry Hearn
article-0-047B26520000044D-39_468x286.jpg
wants the best show this year and that's why Earl is involved and SKY SPORTS is doing the documentary on him. That's also why we are doing the MILLION DOLLAR CHALLENGE Documentary as well.....it's all about timing in "show business," and the hottest player this year will be EARL....and whether you like him or not, he's earned this time in the spotlight.

The Game is the Teacher

thank you CJ,

Barry is the BOSS their aint no strings with him anyone who knows him knows that. No body is going to tell barry who plays and who dont, in Barrys world the M-Cup id 12 hours of 40,000 hours/year.<----if you understand that, then you can see how small anyone on the Mcup is relative to his world.

just sayin'

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member

It was THOUGHT bonus ball would interfere with using points! No boner ball no interference!

The reason for abandoning is gone! The need to return exists since the reasoning and rationale is no longer sustained by boner ball!

Kd

And perhaps they will return to the points race format next year. I hope they do, that is part of what's missing in pro pool, the need for players to compete in asmany events as possible (and affordable). It makes each points eligible tournament very important.

They certainly cant do it now, since players might have made different choices had they known it was tied to The Cup.

Still more fallout from Bonus Ball.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Get the players that will create the most exciting show possible - period!

thank you CJ,

Barry is the BOSS their aint no strings with him anyone who knows him knows that. No body is going to tell barry who plays and who dont, in Barrys world the M-Cup id 12 hours of 40,000 hours/year.<----if you understand that, then you can see how small anyone on the Mcup is relative to his world.

just sayin'

Exactly and no one can possibly pick the players better than him, {they may "think so," but} he's got unlimited resources and access to the greatest information at all times. His goal is simple: Get the players that will create the most exciting show possible - period!

'The Facts are the Teacher'

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, you are COOL with cheating him? He is WAY ahead in points! What do you believe in???

Certainly is not JUSTICE!!! Beat him out if Archer wants his spot! Don't just PULL some strings to have him ostrichsized from the sport and from making a living for himself! Pretty F'ed up!

Blow back from all of this on Johnny and fan perception will be bad! Best bet fans and sponsors aren't fools and oblivious to the shenanigans!

KD

if Matchroom picks him , Good for Md. If they dont too bad. Not my show, not my decision.

I dont care what happens to be honest with you, has no effect on me at all,

best
eric:smile:

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member

Kd

I am really starting to wonder about you. OK, lets just say that BB was the reason I don't think so but I will give you the benefit here. When did BB actually stop playing?? A month ago?? So that's when they should have gone back to BCA Points??? Can't do it. Maybe some people didn't play in certain events to get points because it was not gonna count to Mosconi Cup. Maybe the would have if they had known. Can't change the rules halfway through.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't always been a big Earl fan as many of you know. His antics just don't amuse me. That said, the man can play under pressure and seems to play his best in the Mosconi Cup. On the other hand Mike failed miserably last year (miss after key miss) and nearly managed to blow the Cup single handily for the USA squad.

I agree here, I like Mike (hey, new slogan, hope no other Mike tries to steal this idea from me...), but he was the weak link in the Mosconi cup team. Not the worst player on paper, but his performace did cost the team the win. I did a post a while ago when Hatch missed a simple position shot to hook himself a bit behind a ball when on the hill, and lost that match. The US was ahead or maybe even, and after that loss they nose-dived. I said it was Hatch's fault, and Dennis actually posted in it to say he was sorry about that mess up. When Mike D played, it was his fault. He's not happy with how he played, we're were not either. He's still a top few US Player and can play with anyone in the world and beat them on a given day, but he's not the steady rock that Archer is to the team.

Archer is probably the steadiest player the US can put up. He may not have the best top gear nor the best break anymore, especially in 10 ball, but his high/low play is very even.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I am really starting to wonder about you. OK, lets just say that BB was the reason I don't think so but I will give you the benefit here. When did BB actually stop playing?? A month ago?? So that's when they should have gone back to BCA Points??? Can't do it. Maybe some people didn't play in certain events to get points because it was not gonna count to Mosconi Cup. Maybe the would have if they had known. Can't change the rules halfway through.

You mean kid, not me, right? :p

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You make this sound like a Broadway Musical! Its Competitive! Not show biz! People actually bet on the outcome like other sporting events!

The selling point is BEST vs. BEST! Not BEST vs HAS BEENS! Hate to be harsh with the wording, but the young guns are EARNING their keep. If you can't cut the mustard then MOVE ON!

KD

Its both, its a staged show. Period. of you dont understand that, I have several bridges forsale..

Matchroom wants to sell it to as many markets as possible, if it went hill/hill last year, it would have been MUCH better for Matchroom, Thats what they want. the players want to win, the people watching it have a favorite side.

But the people spending the $$$ to make it happen just want it to be a good sellable product and dont give a rats ass who wins

when i was in the pet shoppe biz, i didnt fall in love with all the puppys, i wanted to sell them as fast as possible.

Its a illusion to think that Matchroom does this event so Barry and Co can have fun.....