Anyone had table work done by Lanza Billiards?

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I live close to them in South Jersey, and I see that the few discussions here about them have to do with vintage Victor brand tables. But I'd like to hear from anyone who has had any experience with them as table mechanics.

Thanks

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bumping just once to see if anyone has any info. I see that his family has been in the business designing and installing tables for about a century, so I'll assume that his work is good, but if anyone wants to share their experience, please post or PM me. Thanks!

wreiman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i would talk to rob kay at tabletek.com he specializes in these type pf restores . He is doing a 60's era irving kay for me right now...... great work...a real craftsman
215 622 8899, 267 855 7226. he's right outside philly and serves the South Jersy area

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i would talk to rob kay at tabletek.com he specializes in these type pf restores . He is doing a 60's era irving kay for me right now...... great work...a real craftsman
215 622 8899, 267 855 7226. he's right outside philly and serves the South Jersy area

Thanks. I'm sure there are other mechanics that service the area, but I'm really just curious about Lanza at this point, since he's very local to me and I'd like to support him if he does good work. I got a couple of PM's that make me comfortable going with him now.

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pooltable 911.com is right there in your backyard and he's a top notch mechanic- also a forum contributor that posts often.
www.Pooltable911.com

Rob.M

Thanks. Yes, I know Pat would be great, but he's kind of far from me and Ed is local. I've been in Ed's shop and I like the guy. I just wanted to make sure he does good work. According to people messaging me he does. So it just makes sense to support my local shop.

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ed Lanza saved me about $1000 today

I just have to let people in the Philadelphia and South Jersey area know that Ed Lanza of Lanza Billiards saved me about $1000 today. Sadly, during the holidays he was too swamped to do my Gold Crown 1 install, so I called other installers who work the area. It shouldn't be as difficult as it was to find someone, but eventually I ended up hiring someone who was recommended by this forum. I won't say who, but they did a terrible install the first trip. There was a ripple in the felt, rattles, an inadequately wax-filled area that left a 3" diameter divot near the rack area of the table, and a 12" roll-off from head to foot or foot to head on one side of the table. And that's after a long 7-hour install.

After I showed videos of the results to the owner of the company, the owner came back with the initial installer for another 3 hours, fixing the felt ripple and divot, but concluding that the slate was the worst he'd seen in 2 years, and the roll-off couldn't be repaired. So I've been playing on a curvy table for about a month and posted a Wanted ad on the forum and in my signature for a set of slates. Well, after today I'm glad I didn't get any response from that ad.

A few days ago, I decided to go to Ed Lanza to see if he had any spare slates in storage or could sell me new slate. He is a nice humble guy whose family has been in the business for about 90 years. He's seen it all. From my description of the roll-off, it sounded to him to be a simple repair. He described the exact same procedure that Jeremy Chambers had explained over the phone to me when I was seeking advice before the owner of the company that I hired came back for the callback repair. I even relayed this procedure to the owner when he was here, and apparently it was ignored. Both Ed Lanza and Jeremy Chambers said that you need to get the sides level first and then shim up the center to fix the sag.

Anyway, Ed Lanza showed up today and was here no longer than 30 minutes and leveled the table without issue. Simple, inexpensive, and done quietly and humbly without any dramatic claims of superiority. He just did the job and went on his way. Heroic to me, but just another day in the life to him. I can't tell you how much stress this process has put me through over the last two months, and it didn't have to be. There are bad installers out there, people. Watch out! And maybe pay for a second opinion if someone claims an expensive repair is necessary.