Playing the ghost is NOT EASY

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hey RayCharles. Good man for calling us to action!

It is easy to get the feeling that AZB is all talk and no grind. But that is because you only see the people posting. You don't see the people when they are practicing, and you sure don't see the lurkers that are reading through threads for inspiration and instruction and then working hard every day.

I can promise you I am practicing hard and playing the best pool of my life. I have been obsessed the last week with 'diagonal rail bridges', i.e. the cue ball being frozen to the side rail and having to shoot a ball up table so I'm bridged diagonally across the rail but with the cue ball frozen. Like spot shots from the kitchen frozen to the side rail, or full shots that I have to follow to the head rail and back up table with speed. Point is I've probably shot 1-2 hours worth a day for the last week. I found out it was super great for my stroke. I've been shooting off the end rail for 10+ years but shooting from across the rail diagonally has really helped me with my sighting and stroke.

Then when I am done shooting those and I play the ghost or straight pool it feels super, super easy.

I have also been force following balls as a scratch. Set up a straight in shot, shoot it with high ball, and follow it in. I've been shooting these at near break speed. I heard Tyler Styer did this to work on his stroke and wanted to try it. I've done these in the past at normal speed, but I went ahead and took it up to 18mph or so. Man, it feels good when you start waffling them in! And again, it does get you in stroke. I normally like to shoot with a soft touch and it can be uncomfortable when I have to whack a ball like a straight pool break shot, so this helps me get in touch with the higher speed range of my stroke. And it makes the rest of the medium firm shots feel softer. I like it!

Anyway, wanted to represent those of us that are working hard. I'd be up for a ghost challenge as well, you can play the 6 ball ghost and I'll play the 9 ball ghost. We can bet or not bet and just do it for fun. I don't care. I just like the game. Just let me know. Otherwise keep grinding and make it happen!

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I broke my back in 5 places and that put a slight kink in many shots at the table.

For the above reason I was unable to break very hard and still play....so, I did what you do and throw em out....shoot em in.

I just had my 4th back fusion and hopefully don't have but 1 more to go.

I'm hoping I'll be able to actually break after I heal up this time.

IMO.....it's a HUGE mistake to not break during practice. Unless of course you a have dedicated break practice.

Otherwise you run the extremely high risk of getting your azz handed to you when playing someone that breaks and runs out often.

Regardless of how straight we shoot, if we can't break well we will lose more often than not.

I'm sure you know all of that but I figured I would put it out there for the op....just in case he's unaware.

Stay safe...

Jeff

Very disturbing, those injuries, hope you've been able to overcome. I used to relish playing the guys who'd put 5 on you and laugh through the rest of the set. For cheap, and I'm nothing but, it's very inspiring. I simply never put enough time in to get past the pedantics and even care about how I broke. I do work on it now but the gains are moot. I remain obsessed with consistency; the continuity that makes the performance of pool. Getting 9 ball to play like 6 ball will have to wait.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very disturbing, those injuries, hope you've been able to overcome. I used to relish playing the guys who'd put 5 on you and laugh through the rest of the set. For cheap, and I'm nothing but, it's very inspiring. I simply never put enough time in to get past the pedantics and even care about how I broke. I do work on it now but the gains are moot. I remain obsessed with consistency; the continuity that makes the performance of pool. Getting 9 ball to play like 6 ball will have to wait.

The injuries are tough and the recovery is as usually...the hard part. I'm still a long ways from even bending to look at my feet, much less bend over to play pool but I'll get there.

I understand about the never getting to put the time, work or what not into the game. It's the same for most all with normal responsibilities...especially when younger and the house is not paid off or the retirement fund is not healthy enough to aford the time away from the office to.....work on a game.

99% of everyone on here has a love/hate relationship with pool at some point. They all have different reasons but they still have similar relationships with pool.

I may never be able to shoot a break shot again but I'm keeping my hopes up.

Have a good one sir.

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey RayCharles. Good man for calling us to action!

It is easy to get the feeling that AZB is all talk and no grind. But that is because you only see the people posting. You don't see the people when they are practicing, and you sure don't see the lurkers that are reading through threads for inspiration and instruction and then working hard every day.

I can promise you I am practicing hard and playing the best pool of my life. I have been obsessed the last week with 'diagonal rail bridges', i.e. the cue ball being frozen to the side rail and having to shoot a ball up table so I'm bridged diagonally across the rail but with the cue ball frozen. Like spot shots from the kitchen frozen to the side rail, or full shots that I have to follow to the head rail and back up table with speed. Point is I've probably shot 1-2 hours worth a day for the last week. I found out it was super great for my stroke. I've been shooting off the end rail for 10+ years but shooting from across the rail diagonally has really helped me with my sighting and stroke.

Then when I am done shooting those and I play the ghost or straight pool it feels super, super easy.

I have also been force following balls as a scratch. Set up a straight in shot, shoot it with high ball, and follow it in. I've been shooting these at near break speed. I heard Tyler Styer did this to work on his stroke and wanted to try it. I've done these in the past at normal speed, but I went ahead and took it up to 18mph or so. Man, it feels good when you start waffling them in! And again, it does get you in stroke. I normally like to shoot with a soft touch and it can be uncomfortable when I have to whack a ball like a straight pool break shot, so this helps me get in touch with the higher speed range of my stroke. And it makes the rest of the medium firm shots feel softer. I like it!

Anyway, wanted to represent those of us that are working hard. I'd be up for a ghost challenge as well, you can play the 6 ball ghost and I'll play the 9 ball ghost. We can bet or not bet and just do it for fun. I don't care. I just like the game. Just let me know. Otherwise keep grinding and make it happen!

Yes sir...there are some that think AZB is full of nothing but "talkers" but there are lots of good players here and a few really strong players.

Like you, I like that come get some attitude.

Confidence is SSSOOOOO important.

OP:

TinMan gives online lessons and I believe you would be a good candidate. Just a thought.

Have a good day sir.

Jeff

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or the 10 ball ghost. I don't care. I'm feeling froggy.

A- you said 'waffling' them in at 18mph. I hope waffling means the same as 'rifling', up there at the edge!

2) Get froggy. You ever try 12b ghost? Rack 10b rack and place 2 extra balls in back row, between corner balls and their neighbors. There was a time when I'd beat that spook easier than the 10b one...without BIH after break. Seems way easier to make multiple balls on break. That can be our secret. You can bet on the 'harder' 12b phantom after you get the 10b cash.:wink:

Secondly: great point about practicing unorthodox bridging. A must have skill.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
12 ball ghost

A- you said 'waffling' them in at 18mph. I hope waffling means the same as 'rifling', up there at the edge!

2) Get froggy. You ever try 12b ghost? Rack 10b rack and place 2 extra balls in back row, between corner balls and their neighbors. There was a time when I'd beat that spook easier than the 10b one...without BIH after break. Seems way easier to make multiple balls on break. That can be our secret. You can bet on the 'harder' 12b phantom after you get the 10b cash.:wink:

Secondly: great point about practicing unorthodox bridging. A must have skill.

That's pretty strong! Funny how it could be easier. Lot of inside knowledge in pool. It's similar to how they thought going to 10 ball would make the game tougher and then after SVB solved the break it started looking like a bad decision and now they are back to 9 ball.

I've never broke well enough to be able to make the game into a 7 ball routine layout or controlled the cue ball with enough consistency to beat the ghost without ball in hand. Maybe one set, but not in the long run. But I'm working on it. Lot of work but worth the effort. The break is paramount at the run out level.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The ghosts has different speeds

i’ve Only played the 9-ball ghost as a prop bet...so I creampuff them on the break...
...then ball in hand
But many seem not to specify the size of the pockets...often I would take my action to
the softest table in the room.

The one-pocket ghost

There’s been some big ball-scores done....I was impressed...then I found they were not
calling the pocket BEFORE they broke....AND were getting BIH to start....
...in the action days, it was nominate the pocket early,,,and play whitey where it lies.

We had a trap 5x10 pool table at the Rack....even Buddy Hall lost getting 11 tries...
...to run the 9 balls ONCE...no BIH after the break

So when people talk about ghost scores, it would be nice to know their rules...
..and size of table....and size of pocket

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Rake,
Sorry to hear that one of our best players is on the IR.
We're all hoping for a speedy recovery.

I was reading one of your above posts and had to reply.
I recently began playing the 10b ghost on my GC. I agree completely that we need to practice the break. I rarely took the time to rack but rather would just throw balls up and run them, (when not doing drills). Now that I'm racking and breaking I am learning a lot about the spread, position of the 1 ball, CB control, etc. My B&R percentage is rising mostly due to this one element. Wise advice sir.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's pretty strong! Funny how it could be easier. Lot of inside knowledge in pool. It's similar to how they thought going to 10 ball would make the game tougher and then after SVB solved the break it started looking like a bad decision and now they are back to 9 ball.

I've never broke well enough to be able to make the game into a 7 ball routine layout or controlled the cue ball with enough consistency to beat the ghost without ball in hand. Maybe one set, but not in the long run. But I'm working on it. Lot of work but worth the effort. The break is paramount at the run out level.
I was asked what 12b rack looks like...pic below.

And re: breaking into a 'routine layout'? I can only do it with magic rack 9b at very slow speed and I only have one pattern/ layout. It is so lame, I didnt bother trying to develop another. It WAS fun to spend time figuring it out though...:shrug:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200522-111442.jpg
    Screenshot_20200522-111442.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rake,
Sorry to hear that one of our best players is on the IR.
We're all hoping for a speedy recovery.

I was reading one of your above posts and had to reply.
I recently began playing the 10b ghost on my GC. I agree completely that we need to practice the break. I rarely took the time to rack but rather would just throw balls up and run them, (when not doing drills). Now that I'm racking and breaking I am learning a lot about the spread, position of the 1 ball, CB control, etc. My B&R percentage is rising mostly due to this one element. Wise advice sir.

Thanks for the kind words sir.

I'm really glad to hear that your not underestimating the power of "knowing how to ...rack and break......" the best way possible.

It's big in ghost play, but it's HUGE when you step to the table for your first time in a match and your opponent just put a pack up.

I've always said and believed that without a strong break we are dead in the water unless our name rhymes with Efren Reyes....

All joking aside. If Efren was in his prime today, he would have a lot more problems dominating rotation type games because the break is way more important today vs when he was in his prime.

1hole and the like....ummm...he'll be a killer till he's 100.