Taking ball in hand after break............

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have witnessed Dennis O, Efren, Alex the lion, Sky and the list goes on and on........do the following:

Rack 9 ball or 10 ball with magic rack, soft or hard break, take ball in hand and start shooting balls until they either run out (win/collect) or miss (lose/pay off).

You NEVER hear anyone say "yeah, that Dennis should try it without ball in hand"....

Instead, your hear, "wow, that was awesome".

I don't get it. A elite pro takes ball in paw and it's fine. Let someone like myself beat the 10 ball ghost 25 to 8 and people automatically jump to "yeah but ball in hand would.....yada, yada, yada"

Really?

Rake

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I have witnessed Dennis O, Efren, Alex the lion, Sky and the list goes on and on........do the following:

Rack 9 ball or 10 ball with magic rack, soft or hard break, take ball in hand and start shooting balls until they either run out (win/collect) or miss (lose/pay off).

You NEVER hear anyone say "yeah, that Dennis should try it without ball in hand"....

I don't get it. A elite pro takes ball in paw and it's fine. Let someone like myself beat the 10 ball ghost 25 to 8 and people automatically jump to "yeah but ball in hand would.....yada, yada, yada"

Really?

Rake
Don’t listen to them.
Ball in hand makes the exercise all skill AND you can practise your break.
...if you break hard without BIH, you will have days you get really unlucky.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Practicing break and ball in hand is all about training to stay in line. Plus you practice the break and push your run out ability.

Last edited:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member

Really?

Rake

Beating the ghost, even the often maligned "easy" 9 ball ghost is actually a lot less common than you may think. You'll make good money betting against people (especially those negative Nellies) beating the 9 ball ghost, cause when the pressure is on, it's not that easy after all. If you can do that on a somewhat regular basis, you should take pride in it, no matter what people who cannot run 3 balls may say. Beating the 10 ball ghost in a long race is awesome, on any table. If you can do that, you know how to play pool at a level which few people ever reach.

People who have only negative things to say should be avoided at all costs in life. It makes life so much more enjoyable. Likewise, saying nice things about people all the time and congratulating people on their wins will make you happier.

If someone comes up to you all proud and excited about beating the 4 ball ghost or whatever, what would your first impulse be? I mean, obviously you are far above him in skill judging from your post, you know that since you yourself can beat the 10 ball ghost. So why would you want to belittle someone like that? It makes no sense, unless you are REALLY insecure about your own ability or just not a good person. I hope that you understand those people better now. They are just not good, and likely not very skilled either, so why take them seriously? Smile and nod to whatever nonsense they say and tune them out with a nice song or musical piece inside your head. I prefer jazz personally. Ah, Dave Brubeck, I owe my (near) sanity to you!

Last edited:

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Beating the ghost, even the often maligned "easy" 9 ball ghost is actually a lot less common than you may think. You'll make good money betting against people (especially those negative Nellies) beating the 9 ball ghost, cause when the pressure is on, it's not that easy after all. If you can do that on a somewhat regular basis, you should take pride in it, no matter what people who cannot run 3 balls may say. Beating the 10 ball ghost in a long race is awesome, on any table. If you can do that, you know how to play pool at a level which few people ever reach.

People who have only negative things to say should be avoided at all costs in life. It makes life so much more enjoyable. Likewise, saying nice things about people all the time and congratulating people on their wins will make you happier.

If someone comes up to you all proud and excited about beating the 4 ball ghost or whatever, what would your first impulse be? I mean, obviously you are far above him in skill judging from your post, you know that since you yourself can beat the 10 ball ghost. So why would you want to belittle someone like that? It makes no sense, unless you are REALLY insecure about your own ability or just not a good person. I hope that you understand those people better now. They are just not good, and likely not very skilled either, so why take them seriously? Smile and nod to whatever nonsense they say and tune them out with a nice song or musical piece inside your head. I prefer jazz personally. Ah, Dave Brubeck, I owe my (near) sanity to you!

Well said sir

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dexter36

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pro credibility/fame will always affect random onlookers viewpoint seeing someone in action. That being said, I wish I had been there to see you beat the ghost 11-2, quite an accomplishment. Hard to think anyone paying attention wouldn’t be impressed watching you run the racks like that. If anything, this speaks to the level of pool knowledge of the person(s) making the statements, clearly unaware of the whole ghost concept altogether.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Really?

Rake

I guess its about the way they run the table that impress railbirds, not the fact itself that they run it, the precision of their position play/high-risk routes or shot selection or just pure creativity ;) And I think its also about the accolades pros have that earned them "the right" to brag in the eyes of onlookers. While you beating 10b ghost 25:8 is also very impressive your name just doesnt struck that awe in the hearts of onlookers..YET! Keep working and you will get there eventually ;)

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do it without pattern racking and it’s even more difficult. (Not sure if you already do it like that or not)

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess its about the way they run the table that impress railbirds, not the fact itself that they run it, the precision of their position play/high-risk routes or shot selection or just pure creativity ;) And I think its also about the accolades pros have that earned them "the right" to brag in the eyes of onlookers. While you beating 10b ghost 25:8 is also very impressive your name just doesnt struck that awe in the hearts of onlookers..YET! Keep working and you will get there eventually ;)
I must be playing a different ghost. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who on a 9-foot Diamond table with tour cut pockets, playing the 10-ball ghost, and beats the ghost 11-3 and 25-8, is playing pro level pool, even if it is accomplished on their home table with no one around and nothing at stake. I've been around pool for nearly 50 years. It's not possible to run out the table that consistently on that equipment, even with ball-in-hand off the break, without playing the correct patterns and leaving the correct angles on nearly every shot. I do find it curious this individual feels the need to inform us of his domination vs the ghost on a regular basis.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can anybody link the thread where orcullo gave a solid amateur the break/ bih and then pulled the fire alarm while he tried to climb out the window and get in the getaway car...and shaved his head and changed his shirt too?

Beating the ghost in any manner is an accomplishment of some manner.

Think car racing...qualifying vs the actual race.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And...it is a simple logic error to think

Pro level beats ghost= those who beat ghost are pros level.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Really?

Rake

I've personally watched Dennis practice for hours at a time breaking and running racks of Ten Ball on a tough Diamond table. I will only say this - he beats the ghost badly without BIH! :yeah:
I will go on to say that given BIH after the break, I would bet on Dennis winning two of every three games!

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Really?

Rake

Do you have a video of you doing that? 25 to 8?

JC

Coos Cues
Can anybody link the thread where orcullo gave a solid amateur the break/ bih and then pulled the fire alarm while he tried to climb out the window and get in the getaway car...and shaved his head and changed his shirt too?

Beating the ghost in any manner is an accomplishment of some manner.

Think car racing...qualifying vs the actual race.

I saw that one

You forgot he cried like a baby when dude took the money off the light after Dennis quit half way through when he realized he couldn't win and tried to call the bet off. And when the guy gave him a break on the bet he boasted about it like the guy was a chump. No respect for Orcullo as a human.

JC

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I saw that one

You forgot he cried like a baby when dude took the money off the light and when the fool gave him a break on the bet he boasted about it like the guy was a chump. No respect for Orcullo as a human.

JC

You don't have the entire story. When Dennis asked to quit they were even on the wire. This is not that uncommon in money games. Sorry, but you should be half the man that Dennis is. He made his way to the top from being a barefoot boy who had literally nothing! He continues to support a growing family by traveling the world playing against the best players possible. Being a successful pool player is an achievement in itself, as I think we all know. The top players all have mad respect for Dennis Orcullo!

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
It looked bad on the tape. I always figured that was your money on the light.

JC

I was not involved in any way. If I was he would never have made the game, especially with that weasel. That guy may have the worst reputation of any pool player in Florida.

JC

Coos Cues
You don't have the entire story. When Dennis asked to quit they were even on the wire. This is not that uncommon in money games. Sorry, but you should be half the man that Dennis is. He made his way to the top from being a barefoot boy who had literally nothing! He continues to support a growing family by traveling the world playing against the best players possible. Being a successful pool player is an achievement in itself, as I think we all know. The top players all have mad respect for Dennis Orcullo!

I'm not a top pool player Jay. I support my growing family with my day job. I guess that makes me at least 40% the man of road warriors doesn't it?

Doesn't mean I don't respect the skills because I love the game but honestly very few pool player earn what I do with my skill set.

JC

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm not a top pool player Jay. I support my growing family with my day job. I guess that makes me at least 40% the man of road warriors doesn't it?

Doesn't mean I don't respect the skills because I love the game but honestly very few pool player earn what I do with my skill set.

JC

Good for you!