Shaft diameter(s)

shoutout33

"The Emperor"
Silver Member
What's up everyone! It has been many many moons since I've last posted on these forums...in these forums? Anywho, I've made the decision to completely serve the pool gods with all my might this time around! No bowling, golf or anything else that'll cause me pain. Long story. That being said, I'm currently playing in 4 leagues, one 8-ball and three 9-ball.

I currently have a Viking with the eXactShot and eXactShot 2 shafts in both the black (12.75) and natural (12.5) line guides with Kamui Black soft tip; Tiger Classic 2 (Bocote w/wrap) and the newer 12.5mm LD shaft with sniper tip; and a Samara Bar cue with the TrueShaft in 12.5mm. Bare with me, I'm getting to my question.

I wanted to get opinions on what you guys and gals prefer or feel better playing with in regards to shaft diameter. I LOVE my Samsara! I have yet to meet anyone that gives it a really bad comment. I LOVE my C2 cue by Tiger, but its a miss or hit with folks, some like the shaft and other don't, but everyone realizes that it is a quality product. That being said, I wanted to try my Viking with the eXactShafts, because I haven't hit with them in a while.

Now, I have no idea why, but for some reason, I was able hit the cue ball better with the larger diameter. I know seems like a duh moment, but I mean, to me, it seemed like I was getting the same amount of spin with the 12.75mm shaft, if not a little more. It also seemed like the ball went where I wanted it to go more too...if that makes any sense. I don't know.

That being said, I have a Rounceville blank that I'll have made and I plan to use a Uni-Loc radial pin. I'd like to get a Tiger partial in 12.75, but they don't make it anymore. They highest they go is in the X shaft which is 13mm. So, I plan to see if I can get a TrueShaft partial done in 12.75. Now, not sure if there's that much difference between 13mm and 12.75 mm so I'll have to wait to try that out.

So, I hope this questions makes sense. Just tried to give you all as much information as I could so you could see that I'm trying different things here. eventually I would like to get on the carbon fiber bandwagon, but I haven't found one I liked yet. They all feel heavy to me compared to wood. Go figure.

JC

Coos Cues
I heard if you just do daily kegle exercises with your hand and you can shoot well with almost any size shaft. One of the gals on my team told me that.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
It's all about what you like. I used a closed bridge 95% of my shots and have chubby fingers so I like thinner shafts. I use between 11.75-12.4mm. Mind you, the 3 shafts I carry with me are all carbon fiber now as well.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I have the x2 in 12.5mm and really like it. I also know the forum hates Viking so I don't try to convince anyone to try it. If it's the Viking joint and you want to unload it shoot me a note.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

shoutout33

"The Emperor"
Silver Member
I have the x2 in 12.5mm and really like it. I also know the forum hates Viking so I don't try to convince anyone to try it. If it's the Viking joint and you want to unload it shoot me a note.

Thanks! Not trying to convert anyone to Viking or other pool cue for that matter. This is just what I have currently. If it was in the Tiger or Samsara, I would've asked the same question either way. Thanks.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maple shafts flat faced........min. weight of 3.8 ozs. and preferably heavier, 4.0 - 4.2 is preferable.
Taper length of 16-17” using a diameter of not more than 13.mm but not smaller than 12.75 mm.
Tips are anyone’s preference and so I’ll defer to what you thinks plays best for you rather than me.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Maple shafts flat faced........min. weight of 3.8 ozs. and preferably heavier, 4.0 - 4.2 is preferable.
Taper length of 16-17” using a diameter of not more than 13.mm but not smaller than 12.75 mm.
Tips are anyone’s preference and so I’ll defer to what you thinks plays best for you rather than me.

what he said with a little stiffer taper & crisp hitting ferrules/tips

Petros Andrikop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most pros can and do play with thinner shafts nowdays, the rest of us common mortals would play better with thicker shafts imho.

After 30 years of playing I find that "taking out" from the CB is most important, a lot more than "giving in".

Most shots are missed due to too much spin-speed-cue angle etc.

If you play your angles right you don't need much, and that is what we need to focus on.

It depends on the shaft taper of course, and the whole construction of the cue.

I have recently returned to Joss cues with their excellent 13.25mm regular maple shafts and I enjoy the game almost as much as I did when I was a teenager. I'm 46 y.o.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Thanks! Not trying to convert anyone to Viking or other pool cue for that matter. This is just what I have currently. If it was in the Tiger or Samsara, I would've asked the same question either way. Thanks.
Yes, my comment about Viking was just an aside.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a closed bridge and for "bridge feel" I prefer 13mm and above.

For decades, I always had my shafts custom made at 14mm, but since I started picking up a few newer cues they all have come with smaller diameter shafts.

Since I use a glove now, my thinner shafts feel "thicker" in my bridge, but I don't think they play any better than a good shaft that is thicker.

I can put as much English as I need on either diameter of shaft.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take multiple sizes to the table.

Shoot drills with each one.

Take note of how you do with each.

The shaft you donthe best with, well, there you go.

BTW, I'm sure you know but, some people concentrate only on the object balls during drills so, make sure you doing mostly CB focused drills.

Also, do drills that focuses on behind the CB. Such as your vision center and stance, are those squared away? If not, the size, type or brand shaft will not matter.

Sounds like you may have taken some time off from pool. If thats the case, it could very well be a problem behind the tip of the cue and have nothing to do with shaft size, tip or the like.

Our bodies change over time so, we have to adjust things accordingly.

Good luck,

Jeff